Neck Cancer Back Maybe and Terrifed

Options

I have been cancer free for 9 years.  I had HPV related throat cancer.  At my latest visit to my local ENT he did not see anything he found that I had a very bad throat infection, no obivious sign of cancer.  He then said I see someting on the left side that bothers him some, it was the infection, also scarring from radiation and well he was not sure so set me up for a PET scan.  Of course I immeditaly went to the worst case.

I had a non specific site neck cancer, but more of the radation was on the left side along with suregry on that side.  The doctor found the the issue there.  It has been a sore spot off and on for me for years, of course now it seems much worse.  

Until now I was sure that after all this time my odds were very good that I would be cancer free. at least from neck cancer.  

If it happens to be cancer can I get treatment again and what are my chances?  Yes I am old, but in good health otherwise and still work part time an have a good 10 productive years ahead of me.  

Anyone else have any simiar thing(s) happen?  

Bob

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited March 2020 #2
    Options
    Bob We All Live With That

In the back of our minds that every little ache or soreness is cancer again. When we are fresh out of treatment and for the first couple of years we are very apprehensive of these little aches and pains but the thoughts of cancer returning slowly fade away to the back of our mind and we don't really think about it much anymore. Hopefully, yours is not cancer again. I'm pullin for ya. Is it possible-yes? Number 1 is it's not cancer till they say it's cancer so don't worry and get your scans and tests then see what the results are. Then if by some chance you have cancer they will go over treatment options which may include surgery or other options. There are improvements in treatment nowadays such as immunotherapy "Immunotherapy helps to strengthen or restore the immune system’s ability to fight cancer."

And there is Proton Therapy which is better than regular radiation as it can be set up to treat any cancer and they can stop the beams so it stops and does not hurt good tissue.

A machine called a synchrotron or cyclotron speeds up protons. The high speed of the protons creates high energy. This energy makes the protons travel to the desired depth in the body. The protons then give the targeted radiation dose in the tumor.

With proton therapy, there is less radiation dose outside of the tumor. In regular radiation therapy, x-rays continue to give radiation doses as they leave the person's body. This means that radiation damages nearby healthy tissues, possibly causing side effects.

Yes, it is possible to get cancer again as a lady in one of our support groups was 8 years out and had a recurrence but it is certainly unusual.

I myself have had cancer 3 times now and others on here also but we do the treatments and keep fighting on.

So Bob again it's not cancer till they say it is but I know you are concerned and any of us would be but don't let it over worry you just do what you would normally do and get your scans. Prayers your way that all is negative in the end-NED (No Evidence of Disease)-Take Care-God Bless

• HobbsDoggy
    HobbsDoggy Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply

Thanks so much for your reply.  I cannot tell you how much it means to me.  I stopped posting on this bosrd some years ago.  I was a regular before that.  I will go back to beign a regular.  I remember how much it means to hear from others who have the same experinces and who understand.  You sir are a saint.  

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited March 2020 #4
    Options
    Hobbs,

It's tough to wait for a diagnosis. The unknown seems to be generally worse than the reality turns out to be.

I sincerely hope you have something like a little scar tissue - and I'm sending a prayer that this is the case.

Hang in there!

mg

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Russ is right

Hope it is not a recurrence, but if it is you are facing a lot better 2nd round that you would have years ago due to the Proton. Keep a Positive mindset and remember it ain't C until they get a biopsy proof in most cases.

• HobbsDoggy
    Options
    Proton Postive

I keep forgtting about how much progess medicne made in 9 years.  All good points.  Thanks guys.  I did hear from the Doc's office today.  They did say he was not overly concerned, I will go with that for now, of course easy for him to say.  He is is nice Doc though and that does help.  He has schduled a teleconference appointment for 8 days after the scan to check on the infection.  He will call soon after the scan if there is bad news.  Other than that its just check on the infection.  He is going to use my cell phone camera to look down my throat????  Anyway will let you know how that goes.  You guys are the best!!

• dnelson964
    dnelson964 Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited April 2020 #7
    Options

Another thing we can do is have your bood tested for vitamin D level. Your body needs a high level of D or your immune system cells can not be tranported to cancer sights and do their job killing it.

If your level is low around 30 you need to raise it up to 70-90. That will greatly help in your immunes ability ot keep cancer from returning or kill it if it has come back. I had a stage IV sinus cancer and after treatment with half radiation and half proton I was cancer free. It has not come back after 4 years and I keep my D level high to help insure it never returns.

This info was discovered by research. 

Good luck going forward.

• HobbsDoggy
    edited April 2020 #8
    Options
    Vitamin D Thanks

My wife has MS, in remission.  Her doctor has her taking vitamin D.  I will add that to my moring pills.  Good advice, thanks!