Covid-19 Discussion, Support, Etc.

Options
wbcgaruss
wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
edited March 2020 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I thought I would start this coronavirus topic as a place for folks to get support and support each other in this trying time. Also as a place to vent, share information, comfort others, relieve loneliness in a time where we are told to "limit our contact with other folks and stay home as much as possible". etc. Basically anything related to the subject. It is probably only a matter of time until we have friends or family affected by this until it passes. I certainly hope this is a help for our H & N community-Take Care-God Bless

Comments

• Sabrina23
    Sabrina23 Member Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2020 #2
    Options
    Russ Thank you for posting this support forum for COVID-19

Russ, this si very helpful during this trying time.  God Bless

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Russ,

This is a great idea! I've been advising people to check in on older family, friends and neighbors, through this crisis. I've been calling my Dad at least once a day, as he's staying home for the most part!

It also pays for Cancer patients (past or present) to watch their immune systems, and take extra precautions.

We will get through this time, if we do some self-isolation, and help each other!

I wish all of you the best, during this trying time,

mg

• wbcgaruss
    Options
    Now That You Mention It motorcycleguy About Extra Precautions

I accompanied my wife to the dentist earlier this week and they know what I have been through with my cancer situation and he told my wife I should not even be out running around. I trust his opinion as he has plenty of experience and keeps up on things. We have been staying at home as much as possible. Also, his folks in the office were wiping things down and all the magazines were removed from the rack so as folks were not reading and re picking them up and having a chance of spreading anything. He also said he was seriously considering shutting down his office for awhile. He is taking it very seriously.

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 120 Member
    edited March 2020 #5
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

Now That You Mention It motorcycleguy About Extra Precautions

I accompanied my wife to the dentist earlier this week and they know what I have been through with my cancer situation and he told my wife I should not even be out running around. I trust his opinion as he has plenty of experience and keeps up on things. We have been staying at home as much as possible. Also, his folks in the office were wiping things down and all the magazines were removed from the rack so as folks were not reading and re picking them up and having a chance of spreading anything. He also said he was seriously considering shutting down his office for awhile. He is taking it very seriously.

Flatten the curve

Precautions are the only way to flatten the curve.  It only takes that one infectious contact...t's just too risky for folks who've been through so much already....especially the "chronologicaly advanced,"  The baby boomers have lots of good company now, as we've always had with each other.  Having a place to get and give support at this time is a fabulous idea.  Thanks, Russ...this too shall pass!

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Russ

Yep. Cannot be too safe, now. My Dad turns 99 in August. Still lives in a small apartment with 98 other units. Relies on me for groceries, getting his meds, and driving to and from the Dr. Being on a FT, I only need water & Jevity, as I'm stocked-up on tp, etc. Every other day, though, seems like there's something Dad needs, so off I go. 

I did buy a pair of plastic dishwashing gloves, and cut the excess off to be like a regular glove, which I can wash with soap & water when I get home. Disposables are in short supply where I live.

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Social distancing is not much

Social distancing is not much of a stretch for me, especially this time of year, so no problem there.  I go to the grocery store every few days or as needed, workout in my basement, walk my dog and that's about it.  Oh, and I gave myself a haircut today! I keep in contact with friends and family regularly and everyone is complying with the rules set forth.

Anyone going through chemo right now please take extra precautions.  That is when you are most susceptable.

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    strangely, my Dr suggested

strangely, my Dr suggested prenatal vitamins.. they have 100% of most thing!

• Logan51
    edited March 2020 #9
    Options
    Spreading

Since nobody has added to this thread for some six days...

65 now, and living odd hours, going to the big stores during "Senior hour" is not a problem. My 98+ year-old Dad lives in an apartment building w/99 units, though, and relies on me for pretty much everything. Trying to be careful, of course, but figure it's only a matter of time until someone in his building gets it by the way the Media talks.

Nearly all Illinois' 2,538 cases are in Chicago land, but news just broke today about a Nurse in a Nursing Home in Rock Island on the other side of Illinois, which my City shares a border with. She went to a "group event" in the community a couple weeks ago on a Sunday. Couple days later she felt sick, got worse, and now is the 4th Positive in the County. Has not worked since she felt ill, but with this other news is a sign it is definitely in the Quad Cities: across the Mississippi River in Scott County Iowa 4 Positives reported today- doubling the number, there, with the Wuhan Whammy in one day. Did the Nurse get it from someone at the group event, or elsewhere? And if so, how many others got it...

One can look at this from a perspective of we are living/witnessing History, which is how I do. Thing is, standing in front of HyVee grocery store in the minutes before it opened yesterday morning, it's almost surreal like a movie: a man around 60 coughed a couple times, everybody looked at him when he did, and several people took a couple steps further away from him. Everyone was doing the social distancing, but the looks that man got when he coughed...

Just thought I'd try to get this thread going again. I stay home except for the shopping I have to do for Dad, and getting purified water for me (being feeding tube dependent), and wear thin plastic gloves on shopping carts, etc. I figure, for myself- come what may. But I have to be extra careful because of my Dad. Keeping busy at home on the computer, writing, talking to people on the phone, and watching TV. Also have gone for short walks on the Condo's drive, and I've just gone out for a drive and not stopped anywhere a couple times. That's me. How about you?

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    More Each Day

Here in Phoenix metro, we have many cases. Hospitals appear to need more beds. Headlines say cases are expected to peak in mid April and hospitalization in mid May. Most, if not all non essential businesses are closed.

I am over 70 with breathing problems so have not left the house since this began. My son and grandson live with me since my husband died. Son has been doing all the shopping and errands, having to go to multiple grocery stores for the basics. Finally got eggs. I had suggested looking for a roast. He found only one which must have come from a solid gold cow. It was $50! We'll let some other fool buy that one. Toilet paper and tissues are non existent as they are throughout the country. Can't figure that one out. It's a respiratory infection, not the other end.

I spend my days watching free movies on cable and reading books on my Kindle. Decided to suspend my DVD requests at the library until July. Libraries closed, but have pick up windows. I would think library materials would be high risk items. I know many are becoming depressed over the restrictions, especially those who are alone.

Peace to all of you and stay safe my friends.

• wbcgaruss
    edited March 2020 #11
    Options
    Glad To See Some Input Here Again

Dave glad you are being as safe as you can be and taking care of your dad.

Wolfen with breathing problems it is good that you can stay in and have your son help out.

Here in Lancaster County PA, there are 21 cases confirmed and statewide 1,687 cases.

The wife and I are in our 60's and are staying at home as much as possible. Stores open are grocery, fast food, drug, quick stop coffee places like Sheetz & Turkey hill, beer distributor, hardware, dollar stores, etc. Really a fair amount is open.

Up the road from where we live is a place called Central manor Bakery which has soups in quarts and baked goods, milk, bread, etc. It was also a great place to get a meal and had a good restaurant business but now they can't have people eating in but they are staying open and offering take out meals.

Today we had to go pick up at the pharmacy and go to the grocery store so we had a list ahead of time and spent as little time as possible in the stores. This is a weird time because everyone is looking at each other oddly and trying to stay away from each other and it is very noticeable. This is a historic time as Dave says. And the store around here are not able to keep toilet paper or paper towels or hand sanitizer on hand, the shelves are bare. I thought people would be stocked up by now but the craziness continues. The only shortages are the ones people are creating.

Also, when we came home we practiced what I saw on a video someone sent me about wiping down things you bring in right away and leaving the stuff you don't need right away on the porch or in the garage. He tells you how long the virus survives on plastic, metal, cardboard, etc. and how to store and handle foods. This video was made and posted by a Michigan doctor Jeffrey VanWingen on safe grocery shopping in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. I am posting a link to it below. It is very helpful and Dave this guy says he has parents he is helping also. So everybody take care, be careful, and help others in your neighborhood if you can and pray a lot-Take Care-God Bless--Link Below for the video, you may have to copy and paste it in your browser I don't think it will be clickable but we will see-Take Care-God Bless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=sjDuwc9KBps&feature=emb_logo

• ProustLover
    edited March 2020 #12
    Options
    Lying Low

We are in our 60's, too, and lying low.  Our county has three confirmed cases of covid-19; since there's been virtually no testing, and since we live about an hour away from a major city, we figure it's just a matter of time.  One of our closest friends began chemo this week for colon cancer ... it metastasized to his lungs.  He goes home with some kind of pump, so must make that drive twice in a week...for chemo, and then to remove pump.  Has to pass through waiting rooms in city hospital environment.  It is very hard for me to keep social distance from him and his family, but of course we must keep distance.

I've been reading a lot of philosophy, especially the Stoics, which is oddly comforting at this time.  My mother-in-law passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 108.  She had lived through the pandemic of 1918.  It was bad then,  like this.  The 1918 pandemic is one of the many things they didn't really teach us in school. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Take care, everybody...don't take any chances out there.

• HobbsDoggy
    HobbsDoggy Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2020 #13
    Options
    Small Town

I live in a very small town in cold country.  People here for the most part support each other and help out where they can.  My wife and I are older, but active.  I still work part time from home, so that is good.  We will in a "closed down" state.  We do get take out from our local restaurants a day or so a week more to help the local businesses than anything else.  We live in a tourist land which has been economically hard hit.  People here have come together.  Wash our hands a lot and keep distances and don't hang out in stores.  Do worry about weakened immune system and if I would have to get any sort of treatment then what?  I sometimes think that stress is almost as bad as the disease.  I know it is not, but it sure takes it toll.

I so dislike how some of people have become so quick to temper and quick to be critical.  I guess for those of us who have been though cancer treatment or are facing it, kindness seems a much better approach than any other.  The cancer support group here is canceled, which makes sense.  My heart goes out to those who are getting treatment now, waiting for results, to those who are alone.  Be safe and be well

• ProustLover
    Options
    PBS Documentary

Hi, Dave, and thank you.  There's an "American Experience - Influenza 1918" documentary on PBS which I thought was fascinating when I watched it last year...but it may be too scary for me right now.  Good luck with your dad, and everything.

• wbcgaruss
    edited March 2020 #15
    Options
    Hi Again Folks

I hope everyone is doing well. Well, it looks like our state has added some stay-at-home orders for some added counties in Pennsylvania. I am in one of them, Lancaster County.

SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY, Pa. —

Lancaster and York counties have been added to Gov. Tom Wolf’s list of Pennsylvania counties under a stay-at-home order as officials try to slow the spread of coronavirus.

I have progressed well with my last cancer episode and am doing pretty well considering. On February 10th I finished up my last of 30 follow up radiation treatment. And the next day February 11th I was blessed to be able to have my trach removed. I had a video swallow test on March 18th and was scheduled to have my feeding tube removed on April 7th. I got a call from the GI doctor's office yesterday that my feeding tube removal is canceled due to the coronavirus and that they don't want me coming into the office and they said when they start rescheduling they will give me a call to set it up then. So it looks like I am going to have my little attached friend for a bit longer.

Well at least it seems in this situation us staying at home is accomplishing a lot--

Save the World

So wishing you folks a good day and take care.

Also again is a link to a video below made by Michigan doctor Jeffrey VanWingen he posted a 13-minute video on safe grocery shopping in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic and the wife and I used his suggestions when we went to the store yesterday and there are bags out in the garage that we will leave sit for several days before we do anything with them. He also tells you in this video how long the virus survives on different surfaces.

Take Care-God Bless

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

Hi Again Folks

I hope everyone is doing well. Well, it looks like our state has added some stay-at-home orders for some added counties in Pennsylvania. I am in one of them, Lancaster County.

SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY, Pa. —

Lancaster and York counties have been added to Gov. Tom Wolf’s list of Pennsylvania counties under a stay-at-home order as officials try to slow the spread of coronavirus.

I have progressed well with my last cancer episode and am doing pretty well considering. On February 10th I finished up my last of 30 follow up radiation treatment. And the next day February 11th I was blessed to be able to have my trach removed. I had a video swallow test on March 18th and was scheduled to have my feeding tube removed on April 7th. I got a call from the GI doctor's office yesterday that my feeding tube removal is canceled due to the coronavirus and that they don't want me coming into the office and they said when they start rescheduling they will give me a call to set it up then. So it looks like I am going to have my little attached friend for a bit longer.

Well at least it seems in this situation us staying at home is accomplishing a lot--

Save the World

So wishing you folks a good day and take care.

Also again is a link to a video below made by Michigan doctor Jeffrey VanWingen he posted a 13-minute video on safe grocery shopping in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic and the wife and I used his suggestions when we went to the store yesterday and there are bags out in the garage that we will leave sit for several days before we do anything with them. He also tells you in this video how long the virus survives on different surfaces.

Take Care-God Bless

I guess I've been living

I guess I've been living dangerously as I have not been taking any steps to sanitize the packages that I've brought from the grocery store.  When I get in the car I use a little hand santizer and that's it.  If my immune system was compromised I would certainly take every little precaution, but this idea of looking at everything you touch as possibly being covered in coronavirus seems extreme to me, but I know it isn't.  Time to adopt some new shopping habits.

• Logan51
    Options
    Well...

I've been wearing disposable plastic gloves at the stores when I get things for Dad, and another glove when I get to his building- but have been handling what I get him with my hands/fingers. Thing is- if the Virus gets on the plastic gloves where I touch his grocery boxes, cans, etc., then...Dang. The one Walmart has a gal at the entrance spraying all the cart handles, but the other one doesn't- though I do use the wipes on them. The only potential peril for me would be the flavored & purified water I have to get. Or so I thought: now they're saying people should not even bring their shoes into the house!

Saying 10-12 cases in our Metro vicinity, now, but the one was a gal who thinks she got it at a group event in the one community. Thinks...she's a Nurse at a Nursing Home, and the locals are keeping a close eye on all the residents there. So far so good.

• debbiel0
    debbiel0 Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It is such a trying time for

It is such a trying time for everyone. I know us, here, are maybe a  bit more concerned and that's ok!

We ALL, have to heed the warnings, do our part,  and as survivors..teach others to be strong in difficult  circumstances.. my mantra! I  have done it before, and I  can show you how to do it now! This can be easy!

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    edited April 2020 #19
    Options
    High Risk Group

Anyone point to anything concrete on how dangerous it is for canccer survivors to be out and about? I finished treatment almost 3 years ago. But I read a report where current cancer patients and survivors were at high risk for infection. I'd like to know more about that. I feel I have fully recovered from treatment.

• wbcgaruss
    Options
    Are WE At Risk

There is info out there-here are a couple of links-

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/common-questions-about-the-new-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Are all cancer patients at risk? Or just those currently getting treatment?

Pergam, the medical director of infection prevention at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, said patients with blood malignancies such as non-Hodgkin lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, acute lymphoblastic le,ukemia and multiple myeloma are most at risk.

Also at risk: those in active treatment for any type of cancer and those who’ve undergone bone marrow transplants. (Active treatment is usually defined as surgery, radiation, chemotherapy and other treatments such as immunotherapies.)

Dr. Gary Lyman, an oncologist and health policy expert at the Hutch, added that even those out of treatment may want to be extra cautious.

“The risk extends beyond the period of active treatment,” he said. “The after-effects of treatment don’t end when people finish their last course of therapy or leave the hospital after surgery. The after-effects of cancer and the immunosuppressive effects of treatment can be long term.”

https://www.cancer.net/blog/2020-03/common-questions-about-coronavirus-2019-and-cancer-answers-patients-and-survivors

Be extre careful no matter what-Take Care-God Bless

• Logan51
    edited April 2020 #21
    Options
    Russ

Thanks for the info.