Update and plans moving forward

PipLily
PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member

Good morning! Just wanted to check in and say hello, and thank everyone for all the initial support I received for my husband!  We met with the Head and Neck surgeon last Friday. The plan is to have TORS surgery in about 2 1/2 weeks to remove/ look for the Primary by removing and taking biopsies from the Tonsillar region, where the doctor feels the primary is likely ( Primary not seen on PET). At the same time, nodes will be removed and biopsied as well on the left, as there was activity on the PET in the lymph node on left side. He will also biopsy a node on the right, as there was a small amount of uptake there on PET, as well. Our doctor said he feels this area is most likely a false positive, but we have to “ prove” that for completeness. It was explained to us that by doing the TORS surgery, and if we can identify the primary, and get recommended clean margins, the amount of postoperative radiation may be able to be reduced, and may be able to be limited to the left side of neck. Chemo therapy will also be evaluated based on staging of disease after all information/ pathology obtained. The information will be presented to the tumor board, and postoperative follow up and recommendations proceed from that. My husband is comfortable with this plan, and the surgeon, who is the department head of the Head and Neck Cancer/ ENT surgery department seems very confident, and very knowledgeable related to research, etc. He was very patient, and explained rationale for what he was doing. I’m at the point where I am just having to trust that this is a busy Head and Neck department with lots of experience, so am going with their recommendations. My only question is, and I forgot to ask last Friday because I was overwhelmed with information, is why isn’t my husbands case INITIALLY evaluated by the tumor board, before surgery? This is an NCI Accredited program, so I thought that happened before any treatment plan....ie surgery. But that’s where we’re at. How does that sound to you experienced veterans in this journey? Sorry for the long post, and please know how much I appreciate all your help and time! ( also, MG, if you see this, I tried to respond to your email, but I must be doing something wrong.....would not let me send a private message, but thanks for the great information you sent!! )

Again, many thanks!

Elizabeth

Comments

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    Elizabeth,

I'm hoping you get the best news possible, from the tests!

mg (aka Curt)

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Elizabeth Thanks For

A very detailed explanation of what was seen on your husbands scan and the plans of your care team to move forward. Hopefully, they will find the primary and get all the cancer out so that there won't be much follow up rads and chemo. I don't know the answer to your question "why isn't my husbands case INITIALLY evaluated by the tumor board, before surgery?" Maybe someone else on here will be able to answer your question. Is it possible you still have time to ask your cancer team this question? You are a great person for the details your husband is lucky to have you-Take Care-God Bless

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 177 Member
    wbcgaruss said:

Elizabeth Thanks For

A very detailed explanation of what was seen on your husbands scan and the plans of your care team to move forward. Hopefully, they will find the primary and get all the cancer out so that there won't be much follow up rads and chemo. I don't know the answer to your question "why isn't my husbands case INITIALLY evaluated by the tumor board, before surgery?" Maybe someone else on here will be able to answer your question. Is it possible you still have time to ask your cancer team this question? You are a great person for the details your husband is lucky to have you-Take Care-God Bless

Tumor board

Elizabeth, it may be the final treatment plan will not be until the TORS as was the case with me. Removal of the primary with Clear margins, removal of the nodes and final path report for staging ,treatments,etc. Sounds like you are on the right course,prayers for you and your husband.