2/12/20 update

wbcgaruss
wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member

Hello folks. Just sending an update on my progress.

Monday the 10th was my last radiation treatment of 30 so I am finished with that.

Nice not to have to go for radiation every day.

The plan worked as they were thinking I could eat through the treatment and am still eating with no problems so far.

Although from the lymph operation my swallowing is a bit compromised and it takes a while to eat but at least I am able to eat.

In a month roughly they are going to have me do another swallowing test and see if there is a way to improve my swallowing by exercises or other ways.

Also as I just plain recover I am hoping it improves a bit.

But I believe at this point exercises are about the only option but we shall see. I am thankful for what I have.

Radiation was with Cyberknife.

In 3 months I will be getting a CAT scan with dye.

In 6 months probably a PET Scan.

Tuesday the 11th we saw the ENT from Hershey Hospital at the local office and after checking me

felt that my vocal cords were working well enough to remove my Trachea so that is out.

Two good things in two days-I thank God for these Blessings and thank the many on here that prayed for me and supported me through this process-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Comments

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear some posiitives from this round of treatments.  I hope your swallowing keeps improving.  Really, what's wrong if it takes you longer to eat?  I think most people tend to eat too fast as it is. So it sounds to me that you are eating healthier. :)

I have never heard of CyberKnife.  Cleveland Clinic has a Gamma Knife, but I have no idea what that is either.  May have to ask my RO wen I see him next week.

Prayers to you and all for continued success!

• Dagney1924
    Dagney1924 Member Posts: 30 Member
    This is such good news, I'm

This is such good news, I'm so happy for you. 

I had my first appointment  with the therapist today. My tongue is growing on to teeth and is getting out of control. I have to wake up every two hours and do tongue exercises to keep it from getting worse. 

Again I am so happy for you, I thank you for your knowledge, and I pray for you.

• Dagney1924
    Dagney1924 Member Posts: 30 Member
    And most of all I'm glad you

And most of all I'm glad you can eat does this mean you can eat naturally ?

• tbret
    tbret Member Posts: 76 Member
    Hooray for the end of THAT

Thanks for the update!  It sounds like you are getting along just fine, thankfully.

I don't have a thing to say other than "good news is GREAT news" and "hang in there."  I think it is remarkable that you are eating and the fact you can is an incredible blessing.

• skidog
    skidog Member Posts: 74 Member
    good Job Russ

keep up the strong recovery!

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    Great, Russ!

It's always so good to hear positive news on here!

mg

• Ascender
    Ascender Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2020 #8
    That's great news.  Being

That's great news.  Being able to eat is huge.

Exercises help with the swallowing issues a lot...even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.  Really important to keep doing them after treatment is complete too.  Radiation tends to make muscles leathery, so stretching & exercising them until they can heal will pay off in the long run.

Hang in there.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Thank You All

For your responses of uplifting support and prayers. Thanks for cheering on my good outcome. I have some really great medical support. I am Blessed-Take Care-God Bless