lupron and supplements

davidv
davidv Member Posts: 5

I am new to this site. I made it through raditation treatment last summer and my PSA remains below 1. My Gleason was 9 before the radiation began. My physician order Lurpon injections. I am on my third injection. So far doing okay. Here is the issue: My physician recommended that I began taking supplements - 1200 mg Calcium D and 800 mg of Vitamin D. After doing the Internation Unit (IU) convrsion for Vitamin D, I discovered that 800 mg of Vitamind D is equal to 32 million IU. I cannot find any supplment that strong. Does anyone have experience with this situation. I did talk to my physician (who I trust) but he rejected my concerns and now wants to start me on Prolia.

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member

Hi David,

The daily recommended dosage for Vitamin D is 1000-4000 IU's. The conversion table I used converted 800 mg to 755,200 IU's which is still more than the 1000-4000. Might want to recheck with your doctor. Too much vitamin D can lead to kidney failure!!!!!!

According to the Prolia website you should not take Vit D supplements if on the drug.

Dave 3+4

• davidv
    edited February 2020 #3

Hi David,

The daily recommended dosage for Vitamin D is 1000-4000 IU's. The conversion table I used converted 800 mg to 755,200 IU's which is still more than the 1000-4000. Might want to recheck with your doctor. Too much vitamin D can lead to kidney failure!!!!!!

According to the Prolia website you should not take Vit D supplements if on the drug.

Dave 3+4

Thank you for the information

Thank you for the information. I am still confused and scared about the amount of conflicting information regarding Lupron. Getting clear and consistent information and direction is difficult. I have another appointment with my physician in three weeks, I will let you know the outcome.

• davidv

Confused

Hi there,

Your physician is obviously confused.
    He means 800 IU which is 20 µg.
    The recommended adult dose is 200 IU which is 5µg.
    I have a bottle of vitamin D3 in oil of colza aka canola oil, the bottle contains 20 ml which is 580 drops, each drop contains 5µg which is 200 IU so the entire bottle contains only 2.9 mg!
    I take 4 - 5 drops a day which is 800 - 1,000 IU or 4 - 5 times the recommended adult dose.

Best wishes,

Georges

Thank you for the information

Thank you for the information. Your experience is valuable.

• Georges Calvez
    Georges Calvez Member Posts: 547 Member
    Confused

Hi there,

Your physician is obviously confused.
    He means 800 IU which is 20 µg.
    The recommended adult dose is 200 IU which is 5µg.
    I have a bottle of vitamin D3 in oil of colza aka canola oil, the bottle contains 20 ml which is 580 drops, each drop contains 5µg which is 200 IU so the entire bottle contains only 2.9 mg!
    I take 4 - 5 drops a day which is 800 - 1,000 IU or 4 - 5 times the recommended adult dose.

Best wishes,

Georges

• davidv
    edited February 2020 #6

Hi David,

Dave 3+4

By the way can you telll me

By the way can you telll me hoe you reached 755,200? I am using the baseline of 0.025 mcg (Vitamin D) = 1 IU.

• Georges Calvez
    Georges Calvez Member Posts: 547 Member
    davidv said:

By the way can you telll me

By the way can you telll me hoe you reached 755,200? I am using the baseline of 0.025 mcg (Vitamin D) = 1 IU.

I agree

Hi there,

I agree with you on the calculation 800 mg of vitamin D3 would be 32,000,000 IU.
    It would cost you GBP 116 from Sigma Aldrich not including postage and packing and I suspect that taking it all in one dose would have some nasty effects up to and including death!

Best wishes,

Georges

• davidv

I agree

Hi there,

I agree with you on the calculation 800 mg of vitamin D3 would be 32,000,000 IU.
    It would cost you GBP 116 from Sigma Aldrich not including postage and packing and I suspect that taking it all in one dose would have some nasty effects up to and including death!

Best wishes,

Georges

OMG! Thank you for the

OMG! Thank you for the information. I appreciate the information and support.