Got to know recurrence is not curable now - Right TE groove Node

vkmunjpara
vkmunjpara Member Posts: 6
edited February 2020 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Hello There,

My father had cancer of mid esophagus. 

We had initially chemo + radiation(45 Gray total) before surgery. ( April 2018)

Then doctors operated esophagus and completely removed. ( Jun 2018)

After 1.5 yesrs. my father got recurrence in Right TE groove Node. (Dec - 2019)

It's now localized nodal cancer. But as per doctors, surgery is not feasible for this and cancer is now not curable.

And decided to go for palliative radiation therapy (20 Gray with #10 fractions).

As i searched over internet, palliative RT could have 20-30 Grays.

I asked doctors to check if we can increase the dose to 30 Gray. But doctor said No. 

Is there any other feedback for curative treatment ?

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    Hello

Hello,

Make sure that he is tested to find out his HER2 status.  If he is HER2+, then he could receive herceptin which could be very helpful in his fight.  If he's HER2 negative, he can't receive it though.  Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

Ed

• vkmunjpara
    edited February 2020 #3

Hello

Hello,

Make sure that he is tested to find out his HER2 status.  If he is HER2+, then he could receive herceptin which could be very helpful in his fight.  If he's HER2 negative, he can't receive it though.  Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

Ed

Thanks for your reply.. HER2

Thanks for your reply.. HER2 seems related to breast cancer.. ? 

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    HER2

HER2 and its treatment, herceptin, were originally related to breast cancer.  Then folks discovered that stage IV esophageal cancer has a fairly high incidence of HER2+ status.  And that Herceptin can be an effective treatment in those cases.  In 2011, I had a stage IV recurrence of EC in a lung.  I was given 7-8 months to live.  I was going to sign up for some clinical trial or other when my HER2 results came back.  I was HER2+.  So herceptin replaced the clinical trial.  I did 12 rounds of biweekly folfox and weekly herceptin.  At the end, I had a complete response.  I went from terminal to clean.  I wouldn't expect such dramatic results, but I'm just stating that such results are possible.  I've been getting herceptin weekly since 2011 and I'm still going fairly strong.  I've had one other recurrence, but I beat that and am testing clean again.  I hope you can find a similar path to mine.

Ed

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    edited February 2020 #5

HER2

HER2 and its treatment, herceptin, were originally related to breast cancer.  Then folks discovered that stage IV esophageal cancer has a fairly high incidence of HER2+ status.  And that Herceptin can be an effective treatment in those cases.  In 2011, I had a stage IV recurrence of EC in a lung.  I was given 7-8 months to live.  I was going to sign up for some clinical trial or other when my HER2 results came back.  I was HER2+.  So herceptin replaced the clinical trial.  I did 12 rounds of biweekly folfox and weekly herceptin.  At the end, I had a complete response.  I went from terminal to clean.  I wouldn't expect such dramatic results, but I'm just stating that such results are possible.  I've been getting herceptin weekly since 2011 and I'm still going fairly strong.  I've had one other recurrence, but I beat that and am testing clean again.  I hope you can find a similar path to mine.

Ed

Also, make sure that you get

Also, make sure that you get a second opinion if you have any doubts , to make sure that it is not possible for surgical removal. 

• vkmunjpara

HER2

Ed

Wow.. apparently you beat

Wow.. apparently you beat cancer three time.. 

Congratulations.. I wish it won't come again..

All the best and thanks for sharing this useful information..

I will check for this with another doctor's openion.. 

• midlandgigi
    midlandgigi Member Posts: 16

Wow.. apparently you beat

Wow.. apparently you beat cancer three time.. 

Congratulations.. I wish it won't come again..

All the best and thanks for sharing this useful information..

I will check for this with another doctor's openion.. 

Stage 4 treatable

When cancer reoccurs in an area other than the original site, it is stage 4.   This is not curable because once it has moved from the esophagus, it has invaded the lymph nodes and can move to any place in the body.  I have had reoccurrence in 2 lymph nodes and also my lung.  The treatment was 5FU.  I followed that with maintenance Capecitibine.  I have had no active cancer for 5 months.  The cancer will most likely show up again and I will start on another round of chemo.