Bad news for those of us who enjoy Marijuana

Options
armana
armana Member Posts: 97 Member

According to the following research we may need to quit.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31932491

Comments

• kgasmart
    kgasmart Member Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ugh

Maybe this explains my tumor in the first place. Haven't touched the stuff in about 5 years, but prior to that indulged 1-3 times per week for years and years, diagnosed/had surgery etc. 3 years ago.

Was wondering if medical marijuana might ease some of my lingering neck discomfort but I guess this suggests I should stay away from even that. Wonder about CBD products.

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Wow...

That's pretty interesting...  yes, it sure looks like regular use promotes HPV+ OPSCC cell proliferation.  And medical scientists are really freaking smart.

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    That was a tough read

The below article references Armana's post in more of laymans terms. Yep it sounds like it's the actual THC in the bloodstream that triggers the pathway. This is new data as previously it was thought that it was the passing of the joint/pipe between individual lips that was trnsmitting the HPV virus. This is a game changer for sure.

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/Pages/2020-01-13-how-marijuana-accelerates-growth-of-hpv-related-head-and-neck-cancer-identified.aspx

• Mainestateofmind
    Mainestateofmind Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is so alarming.  Medical

This is so alarming.  Medical marijuana use has made it possible for cancer survivors to handle pain, low appetite and general malaise.  Yikes.

• tktktk
    tktktk Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2021 #6
    Options
    What about HPV negative?

Do you think thc could be just as dangerous who are HPV negative?

• IsacCornish
    IsacCornish Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2021 #7
    Options
    Yeah, we definitely need to

Yeah, people with cancer need to quit smoking asap. The fact is that it's not the only research that proves this statement. Honestly, I've never been a fan of smoking marijuana but at the same time thought that it might help me relax. However, some American scientists have discovered extensive research that says that smoking is not a good idea for those who suffer from specific cancer types. I tried to get weed gummies instead, and it was a good decision. In general, I feel that my health condition has improved significantly, and I'm glad that I could quit smoking.

• ShariTaho
    ShariTaho Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2021 #8
    Options
    I think it depends on the

I think it depends on the type of cancer and the issues that it creates to your body. Some conditions can be way too unbearable to handle by patients and medicinal marijuana is still the best choice.

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    well not good

My dad has been battling rectal cancer and he has NF and has had a neurofibrama from it in his throat for 20 years . Last pet scan showed thickening and FDG uptake in his throat and he has smoked for 40 years at least . This has me worried now thanks for posting this got to bring it up to my dad's ENT doc .