Incision and scar care

Options

I had a neck dissection on 12/10/19. My incision is on my left side. Can anyone share what they use on their incision to help heal it and also what you use to fade the scar. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    cyfont,

As a man, I guess I wasn't as concerned about my neck scar. To me, it appeared to heal up quite well!

I have had people recommend aloe vera, Vitamin E and coconut oil for fading scars, although I haven't tried them, yet.

I hope you're able to get it to a point you're happy with. I wish you the best!

mg

• cyfont
    cyfont Member Posts: 11
    Options

cyfont,

As a man, I guess I wasn't as concerned about my neck scar. To me, it appeared to heal up quite well!

I have had people recommend aloe vera, Vitamin E and coconut oil for fading scars, although I haven't tried them, yet.

I hope you're able to get it to a point you're happy with. I wish you the best!

mg

incision and scar

Thanks for responding motorcycleguy.  I not overly concerened in a vanity way, it is part of my story now and I will share about my expereince with anyone who asks about it.  I do however want to know if I should be doing something or using something special on it to help it heal.  Take care

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    cyfont said:

incision and scar

Thanks for responding motorcycleguy.  I not overly concerened in a vanity way, it is part of my story now and I will share about my expereince with anyone who asks about it.  I do however want to know if I should be doing something or using something special on it to help it heal.  Take care

Neck dissection

Aquaphor has real good healing properties but is kind of greasy if you can stand it. It helped me a lot. The real difference is time, they will fade over time and eventually you will not think much about it. Good Luck

• Tasdiwine
    Tasdiwine Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020 #5
    Options
    Silicone

I have read that Silicone based products work well to reduce scars.

There are many patient testimonials but also medical research to support this.They will not take your scar away but will help to diminish it.

• Dagney1924
    Dagney1924 Member Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I made a lotion out of aloe

I made a lotion out of aloe vera gel and vitimin e oil. Both have worked well for me before.

• cyfont
    cyfont Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Incision and scar care

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been using Aqaphor and i like it. I was introduced to it by my radiation oncologist. I used it on the burns on my neck from my 35 radiation treatments. I bought Bio-Oil yesterday. It says it helps diminish scars. You use it twice a day for 3 months. I will let ya know how it works.

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    cream

I use/used Mederma, very little goes a long way, rub in well, then appy a SPF 50 liberally