low grade fever, loose bowels with no warning

AS12
AS12 Member Posts: 5

Hello, I was diagnosed with anal cancer Stage 2 T2NO.  I have completed the radiation and chemo protocol on 12/10.  On 12/13 was told my blood count was 4+ and I could be a poster child for cancer.  I went back to work full time on 12/23 and have continued to have bowel episodes that are loose, pain in abdomen at times, times when  have to go a BM I have to go immediately.  Additionally, I have been running a low grade fever 99-100 with aches.  My memory is not all that good at times and I have a "bump" feels like hemmroid in anal area. Have communicated with physician, but no appointment until 1/22 following a PetScan on 1/20.  I am thinking I went back to work too soon, but not sure about the fever thing.  Comments or suggestions please.

Thank you

Comments

• Lad3bea
    Lad3bea Member Posts: 7
    Hi AS2. I wish I had a great

Hi AS2. I wish I had a great answer for you, but I do want to mention that I'm amazed at your strength. Going back to work so soon is so brave. I was never able to resume full time work.

I am 2 years post treatment and one thing I can say for sure is that your recovery is still in its very, very early stages. Your bowel issues still have a long way to go towards recovery, but they will improve!

I'm not sure exactly when my tumor disappeared, since I was in too much pain to even notice, but I have heard that it can take up to six or eight weeks post treatment, as the treatments are still working. This is just what I've heard, but others might have better numbers on that. 

I also think it's possible that the lump could be a hemmoroid. When I was diagnosed I had everything possible to have, including hemmoroids and an ulcer. 

Be patient with your stomach and bowel issues, they take their time recovering. Two years, and I still run like hell to get to a bathroom when I have to go! Keep writing here, and good luck!

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    edited January 2020 #3
    Bowel Issues

It took me 2 plus years before I was comfortable leaving home.  If I did I made sure I knew where the nearest batroom was.  Bowel episodes are a norm with treatments for anal cancer.

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    How are you feeling now? Has

How are you feeling now? Has your fever gone away?

• AS12
    AS12 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2020 #5
    still symptoms

Thanks for asking.  Sometimes better, but today not so good.  My legs are aching, bones ache, feeling crampy, bloated and such an urgency to have a bowel movement.  Not to be weird, but the  movements are all different: loose, thin, mucous.  and some days so many times.  Physicians did not explain this would continue.  Anybody have their port twist?  Instead of laying flat under my skin, it has turned vertical-like.  And today I'm very tired.  The daily inconsistency of symptoms is difficult for me; also when people ask "how are you doing"  For that minute/hour may be fine, but the next hour maybe not good.  Sure is an adjustment.  I have my Petscan 1/20 and see radiation oncologist and chemo physician on 1/22 for the results.  Anybody have concerns with sexual function?  Thanks all. 

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member

You may have simply gone back to work too soon and you are wearing yourself out.  I find the best thing for me is rest, rest, rest.  I'm 3 years post treatment and still dont' work full time.  Maybe in a few more years, but it's been very slow going getting my strength back.

There's another thread about people (me included) having recurrent fevers/body aches/chills, doctors don't know why.

This treatment takes A LOT out of us!

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member
    diarrhea meds

Also, are you taking anything for diarrhea?  I walk a tighrope between diarrhea and constipation, neither are good, but I do need my Lomitil daily or I'd never leave the bathroom..

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    edited January 2020 #8
    It takes a while to recover. 

It takes a while to recover.  I went back to work the 3rd week after treatment (part-time), and then full-time two weeks after that.  But I was still very tired for at least another couple of months. I  completed around October 1st (in 2018), and then at christmas time, I was still taking naps while on vacation. I  hope you feel better soon.