"FT Or Not" thread for Charmin50

Options
Logan51
Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
edited January 2020 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I saw your two posts in the middle of the long FT thread dating back to 2013, and advise you get your answers in a new thread.

Magic Mouthwash is a combination of ingredients the Pharmacist has to mix.

As for getting the FT because of your drastic weight loss, it really is a matter between you and your Dr./medical team. I am on a FT for the remainder of my life due to Radiation damage at the base of my throat- scar tissue around esophagus aperture. There are different types of FTs. The balloon tubes tend to be more problematic, because said balloon can pop, so to speak. I have a picture of my FT on my Expressions page. Had one like that for 17 months during tx 11 years ago without any problems, and have the same now since 8/6/19, and so far no problems.

But again- I'd advise you to see your Dr./medical team ASAP.

Comments

• Logan51
    Options
    her first entry

So is this mouth wash the baking soda and water, or what?

• Logan51
    Options
    her second entry

I was doing the swish, no HO though. But I'm also on steroids - a common cause of thrush. But this weekend was a booger - lost 8 pounds from Thursday to Monday because water, in any form, tastes like dirty, oily hair. So I'm considering the tube. Any ideas on yea or nay?

Thanks,

Charmin50

• Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    edited January 2020 #4
    Options
    FT

Like Dave K, I'm on a feeding tube for the rest of my life--and for the same reason.  In additon to the baloon/no balloon choice, there are differences in the kind of tube inserts.  One has a long extension that is not removable.  It dangles out all of the time, so needs to be wrapped or secured to the stomach.  The other is a "button" tube, AKA MIC-KEY tube.  It comes with an extension (bolus) that connects to the large syringe used to inject the food and detaches from the button between feedings.  I've had both, and really prefer the button type--but at least talk with your doc about those choices.