2»

Comments

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    edited January 2020 #22
    Options
    Grinder said:

Meds

Btw... Meds are a pharmaceutical way of restoring homeostasis ... just my opinion, they are a temporary solution that is sometimes necessary. I don't want to get too deep into the woods here and violate policy on medical advice... that is a conversation about necessity, side effects and addiction to have with a doctor. 

I would be curious if anybody in the forum has experience using meds to combat depression and anxiety.

Depression

Grinder,

I've used anti-depressant drugs (SSRIs: Prozac, Zoloft) off and on for decades, since they were developed.  These are non-narcotic, and are not regarded as addictive.  The SSRIs are exactly as you say: an attempt to restore normal serotonin levels in the brain.   They are used against moderate to serious depression, so-called 'major depression (formerly 'clinical depression').  They are also used against many forms of anxiety, OCD, and even PTSD.     To my awareness, they are NOT used against psychosis: conditions like Bi-Polar Disorder or schizophrenia.

Effectiveness of SSRIs is slow to emerge, often taking up to a month to show much success.  Dosing for anxiety or OCD is approximately double what is required against depression, and effectivelness against these can take over a month to manifest.

Side-effects are numerous and can vary widely.   They do not cause impotence, but can limit men's abilty to orgasam -- something PCa patients will be interested to know.  They are not sedatives.    They can cause a sense of apathy or radical indifference, which is part of why they increase the chance of suicide in some patients.  In other words, some people get over worry by seemingly no longer giving a rip.   

There was a famous book published in 1993, entitle Listening to Prozac, which investigates anti-depressants generally.

The Pink Floyd hit Comfortably Numb is an anthem against psychiatric drugs generally.  David Gilmore's solos in that song are rated by Rolling Stone as one of the greatest in rock history.  Reason enough to listen !

I have no experience with any of the anti-psychotic drugs used agains more profound issues.

The above is based upon extensive reading on the subject, but I am not a medical authority of any kind. ANY treatment of depression or other disorders demands careful following by an MD.

• Georges Calvez
    Georges Calvez Member Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Vortioxetine
    Hi there,

When I was on Firmagon I would sometimes start crying, often for fairly trivial reasons, I would feel sad about stupid things like the cat vomiting on the carpet.
    My wife insisted that I went to see a psychiatrist who tried to put me on Vortioxetine, licensed as Brintellix in France (2016), 10mg.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortioxetine
    I refused on the grounds that I did not have any major symptoms of depression, I was only strangely and unaccountably sad from time to time, the rest of the time I was normal.
    Now, three months after my last injection of Firmagon the crying spells have gone away.

Best wishes,

Georges
  • Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Emotional While On Hormone Therapy

As Georges stated, I too had periodic bouts with over-emotionalism, for me.  Once the effects of Lupron subsided, these over-emotionalism bouts ended, as well.