Anyone use medical marijuana?

kgasmart
kgasmart Member Posts: 61 Member
edited October 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Two years after my surgery for BOT HPV-related tongue cancer, and a full neck dissection/took 63 nodes, I'm dealing with chronic neck discomfort. Been examined thoroughly by my ENT, surgeon and radiation oncologist, had a CAT scan and multiple larngoscopies, no one's been able to ID any malignant cause of the discomfort/pain, guess it's just one of those lingering effects.

"Chronic non-malignant pain," I suppose you might call it, a condition which in my state would qualify me for a medical marijuana card.

I wondered if anyone in a similar situation has tried meidcal marijuana, and if so, whether it was effective.

I've tried CBD products which did bring some temporary relief. None of this stuff is cheap unfortunately (and not covered by insurance) but if it helps I'd be interested to try it and see how much relief it might bring.

Comments

• Jpg
    Jpg Member Posts: 3
    Med marijuana

Hi,i had a radical neck dissection so i know what you mean about pain,my neighbor has a blown out back 9 operations he is in bad shape but he uses the med marijuana oil and he said it takes a few days but it works he is walking around good now and took away the pain.Im going to give it a try nothing to loose.he also used the CBD oil said he had to figure out the right amount and that did wonders for him also.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Go for it! I used

Go for it! I used recreational THC during my treatment. It wasn't legal in my state at the time (Oklahoma), so I drove to another state where it was legal and purchased there. 

I used the patches and cream (as I couldn't swallow editables at the time and for obvious reasons was not going the inhale route).

I credit THC for helping me keep my appetite, no nausea and being able to relax and get some sleep. Was also great to alleviate the anxiety of trying to drink my calories.

Once treatment ended, I stopped taking THC. However, if I still had symptoms I would use it again in a second. None of the nasty side effects of regular pain meds.

• rphail
    rphail Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2020 #4
    Marijuana and H&N

I also live in a state where marijuana is illegal but I used CBD products to assist my discomfort.  I would of course caution anyone reading to think deeply about the laws in their state, family feelings on the subject, etc before becoming a user of any marijuana products (THC or CBD, smoking, eating, just oils, etc).  Be sure you are ok with it and the possible backlash (legal, moral, unfair, etc).

I started using CBD items during my cancer treatment and it did help for almost all of my discomforat(s).  I now have been in remission for 2 years, however, my cancer has left me with virtually no saliva nor taste buds (I have not eaten food - sure i taste all the time - for 2 years).  I currently smoke regularly at the end of the evening which has helped immensly with my dry mouth (I know people are like but cotton mouth?? this doesn't seam to bother me but my "dry mouth" symptons definately do!!)  It also helps with my anxiety over life (trying to gain weight) sleep, etc.

Again, I personally suggest it, but I don't think you should blindly take anyone's advice that isn't in a professional position to offer it... I did however ask my Rad/Oncologist if he saw any medical reason I shouldn't and i was given a thumbs up!

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited January 2020 #5
    It's fully legal in Colorado,

It's fully legal in Colorado, and the social impact has been a big yawn.  The additional tax money from it got spent quickly, and that has been the biggest result.  One of my kids, and all the younger members of my care team, were all positive, to the point of dropping off tea samples.  I tried less than one cup, it had no effect, I think the stash got reclaimed.

That said, I have discussed this with older care team members and my other kid who is an ER/Toxicology doc.  There is no credible medically reviewed research on this in a clinical setting.  They can't do it because it still illegal at the Fed level, so if you go that way you go pretty much alone. There will no doubt be lots of web discussion on that, but results won't come from sources like the CDC or Tox research centers. 

I had a mess of complications, was still in chemo, and did not want any anything that my care team did not prescribe and know about including what, when, and how much.  There will  be interactions with other drugs in your system, and at this point they have no knowledge how those work out.

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 726 Member
    Your Choice

It has already been stated that there is no empirical proof yet of the benefits of CDB, THC, etc.  At least not out of America, in whom I trust.  

So many people swear by it though.  Maybe it's a placebo effect or maybe it does work for some.  I've never been one to have a placebo effect work.  Either a drug worked or it didn't.  I tried the CDB oil for a bad shoulder and it did nothing at all. A waste of $60.  IMO, you have to try it for yourself and see if it works like they say.  What could it hurt?  

Sure hope it helps you.

• StephenShort
    StephenShort Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021 #7
    I use medical marijuana for a

I use medical marijuana for a long time

• Mainestateofmind
    Mainestateofmind Member Posts: 16 Member
    This article on a connection

This article on a connection between HPV head and neck cancer is posted in another thread on this site:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31932491/

Has anyone done more research on the risks/benefits of THC and HPV cancer? 

• Sapidshelly
    Sapidshelly Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2021 #9
    Don’t fail for the fear mongering

GW Pharmaceuticals created Sativex, Cannabis Spray, 20 years ago. Gets rid of pain, no addiction and science backed.

Use edibles and stay away from drugs that all have side effects.  Cannabis is like taking a Valium that results is an appetite.

• DorianKussel
    DorianKussel Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2022 #10

I didn’t have the same issue, but I used to be treated with medical marihuana. My doctor (content removed by CSN) has cured my joint pain and bad sleep. I still take CBD from time to time. I took it only before going to bed on the condition that I had a terrible day. Otherwise, I sleep normally without taking CBD. So, I’m not a doctor, so I don’t know how I could help you or advise you on something particular. Hope you’re alright. Best wishes.

• exiledbrit
    exiledbrit Member Posts: 7 Member

Hello...new member here..

I am 7 years in remission from H/N cancer..treatment was both radiation & chemo.

Since treatments l have not been able to sleep more than 4/5 hours per night..and that is interrupted sleep.

My daughter suggested CBD..however as a 'boomer' aged 77 ..l was a little sceptical..

However, l went ahead and tried the tincture, gummies and powder.

The powder did have some effect...but not enough to warrant the expense..

The tincturen and gummies had no effect whatsoever..

I am a little nervous about trying anything stronger... and need to know how long it stays in the system. etc.

Any Advice, suggestions etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,274 Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would recommend giving Melatonin a try it is known as a sleep aid and your body makes it naturally. I used it for a while and it helped me. This is widely used as a sleep aid and is available over the counter without a prescription.

Best of luck.

Take Care God Bless-Russ

• exiledbrit

Thank you for your help..however, l have tried almost every known sleep aid over the years...including melatonin.

Nothing has helped to secure a good night's sleep. ??

• MST
    MST Member Posts: 21 Member

Have you tried Olanzapine? It is prescribed for nausea but also works very well as a sleep aid.

• exiledbrit

Thank you for the suggestion..

I will ask my doctor about it on my next visit.

• exiledbrit
    edited October 2022 #16

I am also curious about using CBD...for insomnia.?

Interrupted sleep has been a huge problem for me...during the seven years post treatment...

I have tried so many sleep aids...to no avail...and barely get 3/4 hours sleep per night..

My Oncologist assured me things would get better ....but sadly, the insomnia seems to get worse over time.

My daughter has suggested trying small doses of CBD... ?

If any board members have suggestions...l would be appreciative..

Thank you. !!