Chest Spasms

Options
HuldaC
HuldaC Member Posts: 3

I am a Breast Cancer survivor  for 12 years. I have had a mastectomy and was treated with Chemotherapy, 5 years of Tamoxifen abd 5 years of Letrozole. I started experiencing chest pains after about 7 years into my treatment. After years of testing my pain continued to escalate and I started experiencing sharp spasms which which are breath-stopping and causes me to wheeze. I was diagnosed with Costocondritis as the reason for the sharp pains. I am still being tested for the spasms. Has anyone experienced similar symptons after mastectomy?

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Wow

I do this!  Wow, I thought I was crazy or it was pulled muscles in the back that were not getting better.  My docotrs all blame it on this or that or think I am just a whiner.  Some tell me I am in the twilight zone and nothing can be done.  I have not found anyone or anything to help me.  I dont take any drugs for it.  I practice breathing and sleep on a heathing pad around the rib area.  I cry over it a bunch.  Please if you or someoen out there finds a helpful time or cure, please let us know.  You and I cannot be the only ones out there and I am sure somewhere on these boards it has been addressed.   

Help warriors!  

Hug,

Annie

• Hollis57
    Hollis57 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020 #3
    Options
    spasms

I am having spasm in rib by mastectomy area and some times they are so bad it brings me to knees,  it has been 4 yrs since i had my mastectomy and chemo and radiation treatments. i do not take any of the meds for cancer as i couldn't tolorate them. i was giving muscle relaxer's for the spasm but it didn't help then they gave me gabapentin for nerve pain but i am not going to take that after i researched it.  no one can tell me why it is happening or what causes it they don't know why. but i have heard of so many of us survivors are having this problem.  i never know when they are going to happening or for how long it will last. but very painful and hard to deal with when it does. Anyone else have any help in this area?

thanks-you warriors.

Holly

• HuldaC
    Options
    Apaugh said:

Wow

I do this!  Wow, I thought I was crazy or it was pulled muscles in the back that were not getting better.  My docotrs all blame it on this or that or think I am just a whiner.  Some tell me I am in the twilight zone and nothing can be done.  I have not found anyone or anything to help me.  I dont take any drugs for it.  I practice breathing and sleep on a heathing pad around the rib area.  I cry over it a bunch.  Please if you or someoen out there finds a helpful time or cure, please let us know.  You and I cannot be the only ones out there and I am sure somewhere on these boards it has been addressed.   

Help warriors!  

Hug,

Annie

Chest Spasms

Hi Annie

I am glad I reached out to this site because I was wondering if i was alone in this. My doctor said that there is no reversal of the condition but I am still reachimg out with hope. I am unable to do deep breathing exercises triggering the spasm. I just hope that there is someone else out there who has an answer.

Hulda

• HuldaC
    edited January 2020 #5
    Options
    Hollis57 said:

spasms

I am having spasm in rib by mastectomy area and some times they are so bad it brings me to knees,  it has been 4 yrs since i had my mastectomy and chemo and radiation treatments. i do not take any of the meds for cancer as i couldn't tolorate them. i was giving muscle relaxer's for the spasm but it didn't help then they gave me gabapentin for nerve pain but i am not going to take that after i researched it.  no one can tell me why it is happening or what causes it they don't know why. but i have heard of so many of us survivors are having this problem.  i never know when they are going to happening or for how long it will last. but very painful and hard to deal with when it does. Anyone else have any help in this area?

thanks-you warriors.

Holly

Spasms

I can understand what you are experiencing. I suffered for months and had to quit working because the pain was so severe. I was prescribed Hyoscyamine for the spasms. I have to carrry them with me at all times because I never know when the pain will attack.

Thank you for sharing

Hulda