Neuropathy

motorcycleguy
motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member

I completed treatment (35 radiation, Cisplatin and 5FU followup) back in June. I'm still experiencing Neuropathy, in my forearms, hands and feet.

My Oncologist said it should start fading in 6 months - and I'm getting close to that, now.

But, I still have the numbness. It isn't painful - just irritating. I'm able to lift weights in the gym, but I'd like to have full feeling back.

Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to lose the numbness - after finishing treatment?

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    My Neuropathy

Never went away. I had treatment in 2013 for throat cancer-35 rads and chemo beginning middle and at the end. I also had 2 one week stays in the hospital of chemo. The neuropathy may have diminished some but I will always have it. I can generally do most things except real fine work, buttons a bit difficult if they are small and things occasionally slip out of my hands but not that often. I am taking Gabapentin to help alleviate it. I hope yours goes away-Take Care-God Bless

• motorcycleguy
    wbcgaruss said:

My Neuropathy

Never went away. I had treatment in 2013 for throat cancer-35 rads and chemo beginning middle and at the end. I also had 2 one week stays in the hospital of chemo. The neuropathy may have diminished some but I will always have it. I can generally do most things except real fine work, buttons a bit difficult if they are small and things occasionally slip out of my hands but not that often. I am taking Gabapentin to help alleviate it. I hope yours goes away-Take Care-God Bless

Thanks

It is hard to tell if it's getting better. Hitting the gym regularly seems to help. I can feel it pulsating, when I go there.

But, as you say - small items are a little bit of a challenge to handle ...

• motorcycleguy
    edited December 2019 #4
    Progress

Well, the Neuropathy consisted of numbness in the hands and feet, tightness in the forearms, the "fall asleep" feeling (like you get when you sleep on your arm), cold sensation in my arms and hands, and the odd feeling like someone poured sand in each of my shoes.

I've gotten back in the gym, and this moring, the "fall asleep" feeling, and the cold sensation in my arms was largely gone. The numbness, tightness and the sand are still there - but I'm heartened to think that I might be making progress, here!!

• ricksmithgolfer
    ricksmithgolfer Member Posts: 88 Member

Progress

Well, the Neuropathy consisted of numbness in the hands and feet, tightness in the forearms, the "fall asleep" feeling (like you get when you sleep on your arm), cold sensation in my arms and hands, and the odd feeling like someone poured sand in each of my shoes.

I've gotten back in the gym, and this moring, the "fall asleep" feeling, and the cold sensation in my arms was largely gone. The numbness, tightness and the sand are still there - but I'm heartened to think that I might be making progress, here!!

neuropathy

Finished treratment for tonsil cancer september 17, 2018. Developed neuorpathy about 6 months after treatment in toes and balls of feet. It lasted about 2 months and went away. Every once in awhile I will feel it for maybe a day or two and then it goes away. I have not taken any meds for it. Hopefully it does not return fulltime. Good luck with yours. God bless.

Rick 

• motorcycleguy
    edited December 2019 #6

neuropathy

Finished treratment for tonsil cancer september 17, 2018. Developed neuorpathy about 6 months after treatment in toes and balls of feet. It lasted about 2 months and went away. Every once in awhile I will feel it for maybe a day or two and then it goes away. I have not taken any meds for it. Hopefully it does not return fulltime. Good luck with yours. God bless.

Rick 

rick

I appreciate your feedback. I'm still not feeling the "pins and needles" or the occasional "pulsating" sensations, or the cold sensation in the arms - so I'm hoping this is permanent progress!

Have a great Christmas!

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Hope You Guy's

Neuropathy is in fact a thing of the past. I have been involved with 2 cancer support groups at times but mainly our local H & N group. Out of all the people in these groups that have shown up only one other person a lady had similar neuropathy problems so generally I figure most cases slowly go away except a few. Take Care-God Bless

• motorcycleguy
    russ,

I appreciate your input, and hope that you're right.

I hope you have an excellent Christmas!

Thanks,

mg

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    I suffered quite a bit too

I suffered quite a bit too when treatment ended. I'd get up and have to sit on the end of the bed and get my feeling back. I'd also get very numb feet in the shower and my hands would often tingle.

Doctor told me to get my circulation up. Sounds like you're already working out. That's what they told me to get me back to normal the fastest. He advises running, swimming and saunas.

Worked wonders. Took about 4 months to get all my feeling back. Good luck!

• motorcycleguy
    edited December 2019 #10
    OKCnative said:

I suffered quite a bit too

I suffered quite a bit too when treatment ended. I'd get up and have to sit on the end of the bed and get my feeling back. I'd also get very numb feet in the shower and my hands would often tingle.

Doctor told me to get my circulation up. Sounds like you're already working out. That's what they told me to get me back to normal the fastest. He advises running, swimming and saunas.

Worked wonders. Took about 4 months to get all my feeling back. Good luck!

Thanks OKC,

The gym seems to be helping a lot, I usually lift weights, and do a bit of cardio (bike/walk) - but I will throw in a little running, and also hit the sauna, today.

I appreciate your support, and hope you are having a great Holiday!

mg

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    Neuropathy still an issue

After 18 months I still deal with it and take Gabapentin (300mg) 4 times daily.  Most of the time it's no different than my tinnitus - it's there but I ignore it.  Sometimes it's very annnoying, sometimes I don't notice it at all.  I've been going to fitness classes twice a week since April that involve weights and aerobics. I feel better because of it but haven't really felt an overall change.  Regardless, I don't let it bother me too much.

• motorcycleguy
    ERomanO,

Dealing with it is already getting easier - but, I'm hoping no Neuropathy will be the new normal for me.

Hope and the opportunity to experience more life are the greatest inspiration all of us have.

I appreciate your support - and I hope you have a great holiday!!

mg

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    edited December 2019 #13

ERomanO,

Dealing with it is already getting easier - but, I'm hoping no Neuropathy will be the new normal for me.

Hope and the opportunity to experience more life are the greatest inspiration all of us have.

I appreciate your support - and I hope you have a great holiday!!

mg

I still hope that mine will

I still hope that mine will go away someday, too.  But if it doesn't I'm not letting that stop me from enjoying life.

Have a wonderfully Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year (if I don't stop in before then).

• motorcycleguy
    OKC

As I mentioned, I had been hitting the gym, recently - and got back into the Sauna, per your suggestion. My Neuropathy is still there, but I don't feel the "pins & needles" in my hands, feet and forearms all the time, now - just when I move them. I also don't have the "cold" sensation, any more. I appreciate your suggestion, as I feel the Sauna is definitely helping improve the symptoms!

• motorcycleguy
    edited January 2020 #15
    7 month post treatment

I took the last 3 Fridays off, to go skiing. I stopped in the lodge, this last Friday, for lunch. I suddenly realized that I could feel salt on my fingers!!

(The gym and sauna are helping a lot; my forearms, hands and feet feel much more electrified and energized, lately - so things are happening!..)