Dreams

Options
SnapDragon2
SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member

My thoughts are all over the place right with the anticipation of surgery.  The past few nights I dreamed I had surgery (one of the dreams I was in Mexico).  

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Dreams

It seems like dreams are one of the strategies our minds use to deal with stressful issues and to help us prepare for a range of alternatives.  At least you are sleeping!  Sleeplessness is an issue that many deal with.  It seems like the best things you can do are rest well, eat well and exercise as much as possible in preparation for surgery.

• SnapDragon2
    Options

Dreams

It seems like dreams are one of the strategies our minds use to deal with stressful issues and to help us prepare for a range of alternatives.  At least you are sleeping!  Sleeplessness is an issue that many deal with.  It seems like the best things you can do are rest well, eat well and exercise as much as possible in preparation for surgery.

I get about 4 to 5 hrs a

I get about 4 to 5 hrs a night, waking up about twice that I know of, ha.  I hardly ever had dreams (well that I remember anyway).  Its weird that since cancer dx I do dream and remember them.  When I had surgery back in Aug I did not do well right afterwards and they had to give me narcan and do other stuff.  All I remembered was my brother hunched down beside my bed, in my face telling me to get up, you know what you got to do and then he said loud to wake up you got things to do.  Then I woke up.  My brother died 8 1/2 yrs ago.  When I told a few family about it they said I dreamed it.  I know he was there and wasn't a dream.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

I get about 4 to 5 hrs a

I get about 4 to 5 hrs a night, waking up about twice that I know of, ha.  I hardly ever had dreams (well that I remember anyway).  Its weird that since cancer dx I do dream and remember them.  When I had surgery back in Aug I did not do well right afterwards and they had to give me narcan and do other stuff.  All I remembered was my brother hunched down beside my bed, in my face telling me to get up, you know what you got to do and then he said loud to wake up you got things to do.  Then I woke up.  My brother died 8 1/2 yrs ago.  When I told a few family about it they said I dreamed it.  I know he was there and wasn't a dream.

Wonderful story - well the brother part

And I bet your brother was there.  Our loved ones are closer to us, than we ever know.

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Wonderful story - well the brother part

And I bet your brother was there.  Our loved ones are closer to us, than we ever know.

Tru

I consider myself a rationalist and I do not believe in ghosts or an afterlife, but sometimes I hear one of my parents (long dead) calling me when I am sleeping.  I always get up, turn on a few lights, and be sure the house is secure (in that the voice may be warning me, not threatening me).  It is probably nothing, but hey, you never know!  I thnk that the only ghosts that truly exist are the ghosts in our minds and our memories.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

I consider myself a rationalist and I do not believe in ghosts or an afterlife, but sometimes I hear one of my parents (long dead) calling me when I am sleeping.  I always get up, turn on a few lights, and be sure the house is secure (in that the voice may be warning me, not threatening me).  It is probably nothing, but hey, you never know!  I thnk that the only ghosts that truly exist are the ghosts in our minds and our memories.

Ghosts

It is not a word I use.  If I feel the presnce of someone from the past, I think it is their spirit. 

I once SAW a great uncle who had long passed before my birth.  There's a whole story behind it, that I won't go into, but he was real enough for me to describe him in perfect detail - and there were no pictures of him. 

I am not trying to convince you, Sandia, I have more respect for you, to do that. Just sharing my experience.  Right now, I'm having a crisis of faith, and my belief in God, et cetera, is up in the air; but I can't deny my uncle, so I have to leave a place of belief for an after life, whatever that might be. 

Tru

• SnapDragon2
    Options

Not a day goes by without a

Not a day goes by without a memory of my two sisters and brother.

• SnapDragon2
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Ghosts

It is not a word I use.  If I feel the presnce of someone from the past, I think it is their spirit. 

I once SAW a great uncle who had long passed before my birth.  There's a whole story behind it, that I won't go into, but he was real enough for me to describe him in perfect detail - and there were no pictures of him. 

I am not trying to convince you, Sandia, I have more respect for you, to do that. Just sharing my experience.  Right now, I'm having a crisis of faith, and my belief in God, et cetera, is up in the air; but I can't deny my uncle, so I have to leave a place of belief for an after life, whatever that might be. 

Tru

Tru, that is amazing!

Tru, that is amazing!

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited December 2019 #9
    Options

Cindy and I had a rock solid

Cindy and I had a rock solid relationship from the start to her passing, together all the time, working and playing, and occassionally bickering. Two years after she passed, I started having some dreams where she wanted somebody else and we were falling apart. I'd wake up in a sweat, anxious and hurt. I still can make no sense of it, but they went away after time. I can guess what Freud might say, finding some deep-seated insecurity and lack of self-worth, but I'd rather leave it as random brain activity that my conscious was trying to interpret. Strange stuff, dreams...........................................Dave

• SnapDragon2
    Options

Cindy and I had a rock solid

Cindy and I had a rock solid relationship from the start to her passing, together all the time, working and playing, and occassionally bickering. Two years after she passed, I started having some dreams where she wanted somebody else and we were falling apart. I'd wake up in a sweat, anxious and hurt. I still can make no sense of it, but they went away after time. I can guess what Freud might say, finding some deep-seated insecurity and lack of self-worth, but I'd rather leave it as random brain activity that my conscious was trying to interpret. Strange stuff, dreams...........................................Dave

Thank you for sharing that. 

Thank you for sharing that.  And yes, strange stuff.

• mojogirl67
    mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306
    Options
    Dreams

I think there is a balance between this old body that my spirit hangs around in..lol. I can't say that I ever dreamed while on chemo or before sugery. When my daughter came to stay with me and help with the move after losing my husband, she was the "proof" I needed to some questions about messages in dreams. My daughter has NEVER believed in spirits..etc. She was never a dreamer..always solid sleep. One day after taking about a two hour nap, she came into the kitchen and had this wierd perplexed look on her face. I asked her what was wrong and she shook her head. After persisting she tell me, she began to tell me about the weirdest dream she had. She said there was a man sitting on the front porch in the rocking chair of the house we were in. She said he didn't speak but stared out into the pasture in deep thought. I asked her to describe him and she did...didn't really think anything about her description. She said the dream switched scenes and the same man was sitting in the middle of the pasture he had been staring at in a truck, I again asked for descriptions of the man and the truck. I got chills all over. She described my father. She never really knew my father and definitely new nothing about the details she described that only he would have. He passed in her younger years and had rarely seen either of my daughters. My father and I were not on the best of terms thru the years. The kicker for me was this. My father always drove Dodge trucks..particuarly blue Dodge trucks. There was no way for her to know this. There are NO pictures of him in those trucks and it has never been mentioned by anyone, including myself. She described exactly what my father would be wearing down to the cap on his head with a plaid buttond down collared shirt stiffly creased, lol and she described an old BLUE DODGE truck he was sitting in. This was the man in her dream. I was dealing with an extreme amount of grief and stress after just losing Doyle and getting the house on the market. I think my father was there for me in whatever way he could have been, be it a dream thru my daughter. I have been aware of a "second sense" since I was young. Growing up, both of my girls were witness to some unexplainable things. They never wanted to talk about it or embrace it in their younger days. In fact, they refused to discuss any of it. Both of them have a strong "second" sense that they are now learning to embrace and not fear.  I have had several other experiences that have no explanation to the rational train of thought. I just wanted to share my "dream" experience. 

• SnapDragon2
    Options

Dreams

I think there is a balance between this old body that my spirit hangs around in..lol. I can't say that I ever dreamed while on chemo or before sugery. When my daughter came to stay with me and help with the move after losing my husband, she was the "proof" I needed to some questions about messages in dreams. My daughter has NEVER believed in spirits..etc. She was never a dreamer..always solid sleep. One day after taking about a two hour nap, she came into the kitchen and had this wierd perplexed look on her face. I asked her what was wrong and she shook her head. After persisting she tell me, she began to tell me about the weirdest dream she had. She said there was a man sitting on the front porch in the rocking chair of the house we were in. She said he didn't speak but stared out into the pasture in deep thought. I asked her to describe him and she did...didn't really think anything about her description. She said the dream switched scenes and the same man was sitting in the middle of the pasture he had been staring at in a truck, I again asked for descriptions of the man and the truck. I got chills all over. She described my father. She never really knew my father and definitely new nothing about the details she described that only he would have. He passed in her younger years and had rarely seen either of my daughters. My father and I were not on the best of terms thru the years. The kicker for me was this. My father always drove Dodge trucks..particuarly blue Dodge trucks. There was no way for her to know this. There are NO pictures of him in those trucks and it has never been mentioned by anyone, including myself. She described exactly what my father would be wearing down to the cap on his head with a plaid buttond down collared shirt stiffly creased, lol and she described an old BLUE DODGE truck he was sitting in. This was the man in her dream. I was dealing with an extreme amount of grief and stress after just losing Doyle and getting the house on the market. I think my father was there for me in whatever way he could have been, be it a dream thru my daughter. I have been aware of a "second sense" since I was young. Growing up, both of my girls were witness to some unexplainable things. They never wanted to talk about it or embrace it in their younger days. In fact, they refused to discuss any of it. Both of them have a strong "second" sense that they are now learning to embrace and not fear.  I have had several other experiences that have no explanation to the rational train of thought. I just wanted to share my "dream" experience. 

Thank you for sharing, MoJo!

Thank you for sharing, MoJo!

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Mind

Your mind is racing 100 mph and then when you try to sleep it's in overdrive because you can't divert your attention like you can during the day.  It's common for thoughts to be anxious at this time.  Try some meditation at night or even put on a calming CD to listen to during the hight hours.  My Google mini plays "country night" (crickets sounds)  going all night because my mind races at night as well.  It's worth a try.  Hope you get some restful sleep soon.

Kim

• SnapDragon2
    Options

Mind

Your mind is racing 100 mph and then when you try to sleep it's in overdrive because you can't divert your attention like you can during the day.  It's common for thoughts to be anxious at this time.  Try some meditation at night or even put on a calming CD to listen to during the hight hours.  My Google mini plays "country night" (crickets sounds)  going all night because my mind races at night as well.  It's worth a try.  Hope you get some restful sleep soon.

Kim

Yep, its constantly racing. 

Yep, its constantly racing.  As for meditation or night sounds, don't think either would work with the pond frogs in the pasture, dogs barking all the time and then the snoring from the 3 males I live with, whew. LOL

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

Yep, its constantly racing. 

Yep, its constantly racing.  As for meditation or night sounds, don't think either would work with the pond frogs in the pasture, dogs barking all the time and then the snoring from the 3 males I live with, whew. LOL

Snoring

Oh the snoring would drive me crazy.  After my illness, and because my husband snores, we have moved to seperate beds for sleep.  My TV is on also for about 2 hours every night.  I'll start out watching TV while listening to the cricket sounds in the background and that tends to send me into sleep, however if I've got to go the bathroom in the middle of the night, I'm up again starting over trying to get back to sleep.  Wish there was something that could divert your attention.

Kim