Advanced Cancer and waiting...

Options

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options

Wow Hilton,

This post of yours chocked me a lot. I am sorry for the occurrence.

What was the accident that lead to the perforated colon?

In the end the Luneray needle-catheters would have been a better choice. We knew that the risks existed. Now let's hope for the best performance by the surgeon to replace the affected ureter.

What is the scope of the resection? Are they dissecting the portion of the cancer identified previously?

I thought that the spots were in the bladder's wall muscle.

The PSA is irrelevant for the moment as you have gone through surgery in the colon. Let's wait but above all let's hope for full recovery.

I feel sad for this misery you have gone in both fronts, the treatments and the lost of your orchard. I keep in my mind the beauty of your land as you pictured it.

Alive and kicking, you are a fighter and will survive the situation. The trees will grow back again.

Thinking of you.

Best wishes and luck in the coming surgery.

VGama

• bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 852 Member
    edited October 2022 #63
    Options

Hi VG....Trust all is well.

We had a trespasser on our property and I strained my gut apparently (I had diverticulitis identified 14 years ago in a pet scan for my cancer but never had a problem or even a flare up?)...my diaphragm litterially puffed out...I ended up in the hospital, septic in about 36 hours...just about died....Anyway, telling the tale...

In California you can't do much to trespassers (A bunch of States you can litterially shoot them) except deal with a situation where we are....

This is the technique used: The patient was placed in the proen position and fluoro/ultrasound images were obtained through the right flanlk. An appropriate skin entry site was then sterilely prepped, draped, and infiltrated with lidocaine. The right kidney midpole calyx was accessed using a 21 G Accustick needle and 0.018 wire advanced ot the ppelvis. The Accustick system inserted. A 4 F glidecatheter na 0.035 glidewire was used to access the bladder. There is a tight stricture at the UVJ, The glidewire could traverse the stricture to the bladder but contrast could not be seen draining. The 0.035 glide was exchanged for an Amplatz wire. The tract diulated and a 10 F APD was placed in the renal pelvis. Hemostasis was achieved and sterile dressings were applied to the puncture site.

FINDINGS: The initial imaging demonstrates hydronephrosis and hydroureter. The UVJ is strictured. 10 F drain for nephrostomy tube.

I have a test coming up on November 15 with Radiology and Urology to assess what is actually going on...yes, surgery is happening but I have no idea of the extent today...the resection of my intestines will occur after I heal from the cancer surgery...so, I'm just waiting....still blessed with choices...going sell the farm...

Thanks, as always, for your input...

• VascodaGama
    Options

Well, you got your reasons but I would think deeply before such decision in selling the farm.

I am enjoying the time I spend arround my trees. It is my entertainment.

You need some short of entertainment too after the stricture gets better recuperating to a normal flow. Your trees will grow and get greener again.

This is an unpleasant moment. How about a short trip to some where you like to relax.

Best wishes

VG

• bdhilton
    Options

VG...You know my cancer better than me! Yes, my "cancer" was/is in my bladder wall muscles.

I'm just having a pity party for the moment. The farm has been a real positive and I believe an extender to my life but perhaps a smaller one like you. I've been finding 40 acres is a bit much...

My medical team says one more PSA in mid December and they'll chart out my surgery...

As always, thank you for your thought...

BDH

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 244 Member
    Options

That's one those "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" moments. Jeepers. They built you tough, friend.

• bdhilton
    Options
  • bdhilton
    edited November 2022 #68
    Options

Well...had a couple of procedures performed yesterday at USCF: Antegrade nephrostogram, cystogram, right nephrostomy exchange. Had a great team medical team (as always) from UCSF. These procedures were led by Ryan Michael Kohlbrenner, MD. My surgeon, Matthew Cooperberg, MD was also present and was an active participant in the procedure too...

Findings: Antegrade nephrostogram demonstrates a distal ureteral stricture.

It sounds like I'm having surgery sometime in January by my team lead, Matthew Cooperberg, MD.

I couldn't give more kudos to my medical team leads Dr. Cooperberg (surgery) and Dr. Mohamad (radiology) going on three years (2019)...

Anyone looking for great care on the west coast should consider consulting with theses medical professionals/professors. They have sincerely gone the extra mile (for me anyway)...

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options

Thanks for the update.

Hope the surgery will go well; in the meantime, enjoy the season.

• bdhilton
    Options
  • VascodaGama
    Options

👍👍🤗

• bdhilton
    Options

Well, life marches on…. January 19th, I had a successful right ureter reconnect (no cancer noted). January 30th, I had three procedures to remove my foley catheter, tests for leakage of bladder/kidney/ureter and the removal of my right kidney nephrostomy tube. I still have my colostomy bag ( to be reconnected in the next couple of months) and peeing like a 10 year old now…Yes, I’m in some pain but feeling blessed for sure.

Next procedure is March 8th to remove the right ureteral stent which terminates in the urinary bladder….Oh, what fun…

I apparently still have cancer bouncing around somewhere, which is a little disappointing but after 14 years of multiple treatments they are telling me to let them do the worrying now and 5-10 years’ time, I may or may not have any cancer issues…I’m 68 next month and pleased with the extension and quality of life to a beautiful life…

I wish all of you a good journey with your cancer…I’ve done well

• Old Salt
    Options

So glad to read that these procedures went well.

Hoping for more of the same in March and beyond.

• bdhilton
    Options

Old Salt...that makes two of us. Thank you for your kind words!

• bdhilton
    Options

• VascodaGama
    Options

Great for knowing that you feel better after those “delicate” interventions.

I hope to read similar good news after March procedure.

I wonder about your apples. Will you continue growing them after the winter. Gosh, it may be very cold there now.

Best wishes for a healthy birthday 🎉

VG

• bdhilton
    edited February 2023 #77
    Options

Hi VG...yes, record snows pack this winter. Since I wasn't up there due to my complicated health issues, our farm is snowed in, as the roads right now.

Yes, I hope the removal of the stint next month will go without complications...

With 21 acres burned, we are assessing our options. The upcoming apple et al harvest with the snow packs should prove very fruitful this upcoming season.

I received the fire report last week from CalFire and my neighbor was towing a large propane tank with a torch on the end buring weeds....He was charged with a multitude of crimes including arson...words cannot express my disdain of this individual...it appears he's heavily insured plus own lots of property in Northern Cal and Hawaii...I would have preferred no fire instead of legal complications and great legal expense...

Anyway, on to the next procedure and hopfully an uneventful colonoscopy and colon reconnect in the coming months...

Thank you for your continued interest over the years...Hope all is well with you and yours-B

• bdhilton
    Options

The march continues…I had an uneventful stent removal from my right ureter in March, colonoscopy back in April and I've secured a great UC colon surgeon and team for a colon reconnect, after I get my results from a pending CT of my rectum/lower GI this week…

My PSA has been going up the last year +/- and my results last week were 0.48 from a zero 18 months ago in January 2022, after 5 treatments of SBT and 6 months of Lupron…. waiting to talk with my cancer team and assume another body scan at some juncture due to my PSA going up…The medical community tells me I’m an interesting case, lol. I feel great and blessed….

All the best to all on this journey-B

• bdhilton
    Options

My September 2023 PSA test rose to 0.94 :-( …I assume that my UCSF medical team will be reaching out to schedule a body scan in the near future.

Perhaps coincidental but all the same, I've noted that the acceleration of my PSA doubling started after I suffered a perforated colon in July 2022, leading to sepsis, a Hartmann Procedure, right kidney ureter reattachment from Cyberknife radiation damage and a google of procedures along the way up until I had a Hartmann Reversal surgery on August 3, 2023, which has been successful....What’s next?

Hope all is well with all your individual  journeys!

• bdhilton
    Options

My Cancer Team from UCSF has come back with this interpretation of my PSMA PET, this past Wednesday, October 4, 2023....

"...There's nothing obvious on the PSMA PET, which fundamentally is pretty good news, though the PSA is rising somewhat quickly. I think we just need to keep watching it for now."

My case remains “interesting”. My PSA has gone from <0.2 in July 2022 to 0.9- last month in September.

Anyone experience something similar out there? 

• Old Salt
    Options

I hope that your PSA will stabilize (or decrease) and that no further interventions will be necessary.

I guess there will be monthly PSA tests?