Bleeding years after cancer and chemo

Hi girls, I am back with more worries.  Several months ago I posted about my CA125 going up for the first time in 8 yrs post chemo, and it turned out to be from pelvic inflamation due to periformis injection with steroids, 2 days prior to getting my blood analysis.  Got that scare out of the way, and now I have another one.  Maybe you will have some knowledge you can share. 

This past Friday, while peeing there was blood when I wiped myself.  It was like a glob of blood, not a flood, but not just a spot, and that was it.  Not a drop since then.  September 18 my CA 125 was 5, and has always been a true indicator for me.  I have read up on it some, and it can be from thinning of the vagina causing it to bleed, or a tear in the vaginal cuff, etc.  I cannot tell that there is anything wrong with me physically.  I am 75 so I don't run the 100 yard dash anymore, but I do ride my horse several times a week, and have the energy to do it.  The irony of this is that I just had my port out and I had it 8 years and 8 months.  Appreciate any comments.

Comments

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    Not the same but curious

Your post caught my eye as I have something going on, not same, but connected. I am 79, and stopped dilating last Jan. due to bleeding from blood thinners and radiated vagina. I am 18 mos.NED until I had a CT last week and it showed a golf size mass of liquid. I am going off blood thinners so doc can do a pelvic. I had 8 brachys so very closed vagina. Gyn/onc doc thinks it is perhaps blood or just fluid but we have to see. I had hoped things in the vagina were done but not so. So, depending on your vagina's condition, it might just be something breaking loose. Do have it checked out. But I know how you feel. I feel good and was planning getting back on my horse this month and now this. Darn! Keep us posted.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Single Bleeding Incident

About six months after I finished treatment (chemo and external radiation) I had vaginal bleeding one Sunday. It was bright red and made a sizeable spot, with lesser amounts the rest of the day. I had just had my three months cancer follow-up exam a couple of weeks before, where everything looked fine.

Although I called the gynecological oncologist's office the next morning, I was already scheduled that day to see my primary care physician for a regular checkup. Since she had done my pap smears and pelvic/rectal exams for many years before I had cancer, the nurse at the gynecological oncologist's office agreed that the PCP should check out a possible cause of the bleeding.

The PCP did a thorough vaginal/rectal exam, but found nothing that would explain the bleeding (which had already stopped overnight). I didn't not have any more bleeding. However, just to be on the safe side, the gynecological oncologist ordered a CT-scan when I went for my next follow-up exam with him a couple of months later. The CT-scan didn't show any sign of cancer.

I still don't know why I had the bleeding – I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary the day before. It was worrisome, but it hasn't recurred. Another CT-scan last February was also negative for cancer.

So I can't shed any light on why you had bleeding, but I know that I felt better after my PCP did her exam and didn't find anything that looked amiss. It may be worth it for your piece of mind to schedule a doctor visit.

I'm glad to hear that the rise in CA125 was due to just the steroids and that all is well on that front, especially since it has been a reliable indicator for you.

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    I'd call your doctor.  Common

I'd call your doctor.  Common things happen commonly, and UTIs happen very commonly in older women - can be without the usual painful, frequent urination.  And of course you could have a break in the vaginal cuff.  After all this time, I'm it's unlikely to be a recurrence.

• snyderpm
    snyderpm Member Posts: 40
    Bleeding years after cancer and chemo

Thank you all for your comments.  They are very helpful, and I feel better already.  I have contacted a gyno/oncol and they are going to set me up with an appointment, but you know that will probably take weeks..

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Spotting years later

I agree with the others that for peace of mind see your physician. Sometimes women have a bit of a prolapse of the vaginal wall and as a result tissues can fall down and be irritated by toilet paper. Also as mentioned a urinary tract infection or early bladder infection is possible. It sounds like even the horseback riding could cause some irritation.  Glad you have an appointment. 

Lori

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    edited October 2019 #7
    Going through similar

Hmmm. Last Tuesday this happened to me.  I am 59 years old.   i do get stomach pains which I have been keeping track of and I had them last weekend (and today).    Then Tuesday (15th) I was not myself at work. Had a slight headache and lower back ache.   When I went home I went to the bathroom and was surprised to see what appeared to be a light period (I wear bladder pads).  When I wiped it was red and pink.  Then after awhile pink and that's it.   I called my doctors on Wednesday and then called gyne/onc who I have an appointment with on Thursday (24th)

I did have a recurrence at the vaginal cuff and along the rectum.  I had that surgery in 2018 with a positive lymph node.   Because it was all removed I had no treatment   I have scans scheduled with my surgical doctor (who I follow up with) on December 5th     I'll let you know what goes on Thursday

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 961 Member
    Kaleena said:

Going through similar

Hmmm. Last Tuesday this happened to me.  I am 59 years old.   i do get stomach pains which I have been keeping track of and I had them last weekend (and today).    Then Tuesday (15th) I was not myself at work. Had a slight headache and lower back ache.   When I went home I went to the bathroom and was surprised to see what appeared to be a light period (I wear bladder pads).  When I wiped it was red and pink.  Then after awhile pink and that's it.   I called my doctors on Wednesday and then called gyne/onc who I have an appointment with on Thursday (24th)

I did have a recurrence at the vaginal cuff and along the rectum.  I had that surgery in 2018 with a positive lymph node.   Because it was all removed I had no treatment   I have scans scheduled with my surgical doctor (who I follow up with) on December 5th     I'll let you know what goes on Thursday

Good luck tomorrow

Hopefully it will be a benign bleed.   Praying for you.   I admire your attitude too.  Hugs to you.

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Kaleena said:

Going through similar

Kaleena,

crossing my fingers for you!Smile

Suzy

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Snyder and Kaleena

Praying now for both of you!  Let us know how these appointments go.

• Kaleena
    Good news

Good news.   Nothing out of ordinary.    The doctor only said if I should have another episode to call and then they would move my scans up.   Otherwise good to go!

Thanks for the prayers!

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Kaleena said:

Good news

Good news.   Nothing out of ordinary.    The doctor only said if I should have another episode to call and then they would move my scans up.   Otherwise good to go!

Thanks for the prayers!

Congratulations,

good to have a peace of mind Smile!

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Kaleena said:

Good news

Thanks for the prayers!

Yes!

Great news!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Great News Kaleena. So happy

Great News Kaleena. So happy to see it.  I hope you continue to dance with NED for years!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Glad to hear that all is well

Glad to hear that all is well on the bleeding front, Kaleena.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    cmb said:

Glad to hear that all is well

Glad to hear that all is well on the bleeding front, Kaleena.

Good news

way to go!

• Kaleena
    ConnieSW said:

Good news

way to go!

Thanks everyone!    I wish

Thanks everyone!    I wish everyone a great weekend.  
    Hugs!!!!!

?❤️

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 961 Member
    Kaleena said:

Good news

Thanks for the prayers!

What a relief to hear

Blessed news.  Enjoy your weekend.   

• laura25
    laura25 Member Posts: 180 Member
    Kaleena said:

Good news

Thanks for the prayers!

Yahooo!

Wonderful news!!!!!!!  

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    Great news!

Great news!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    laura25 said:

Yahooo!

Wonderful news!!!!!!!