Abi-normal?

Mikemetz
Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member

We use abi-normal a lot to describe our lives as cancer survivors.  I know what it means when we say it, but does anyone know where it came from?

Thanks.

mike

Comments

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Young Frankenstein

It’s from the movie, Young Frankenstein.  He used a brain from someone named “Abi Normal” (abnormal) which is why the Frankenstein monster was the way he was.   Haha :). Great movie!

• Mikemetz

Young Frankenstein

It’s from the movie, Young Frankenstein.  He used a brain from someone named “Abi Normal” (abnormal) which is why the Frankenstein monster was the way he was.   Haha :). Great movie!

Interesting

Yeah, great movie! Does anyone know how it came to be used on our discussion board?

mike

• Sabrina23
    Sabrina23 Member Posts: 103 Member
    Mikemetz said:

Interesting

Yeah, great movie! Does anyone know how it came to be used on our discussion board?

mike

Search CSN content

Hi Mike, If you search under CSN content top right of web page you will be able to see where abi normal came to be used there are lots of entries.  So hope this helps. 

God Bless!

• Sabrina23
    Sabrina23 Member Posts: 103 Member
    Sabrina23 said:

Search CSN content

Hi Mike, If you search under CSN content top right of web page you will be able to see where abi normal came to be used there are lots of entries.  So hope this helps. 

God Bless!

when you search CSN content you have to type in abi normal

Once you type in abi normal for your search it takes a bit to populate the entries but they do show up and you can see what you are looking for hope this helps 

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Guess I never gave it much

Guess I never gave it much thought.  I just figured it meant “normal for us” and was a fun way of saying it.  I know the origin of the phrase was the movie.

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    I've heard the term before

A guy at work used to say that all the time... that something was "Abby Normal"... when somthing was a little out of whack, but I never made the connection to the the character in Young Frankenstein.  I guess it's been quite some time since I've seen it and I need to watch it again and pay closer attention.  Great movie, by the way (even though I apparently don't know it too well :-).

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,034 Member
    Abi-Normal

Mike, 

With some time on my hands today, I took Sabrina's suggestion about typing in "Abi-Normal" in search content. My gut feeling from my memory looks like it was Skiffin16 that first used the term in a post dated 02-09-2011 where his orginal post was "CT Anxiety ****UPDATE****. He used the term later in the Thread. From there, it just took off. I scanned over 36 pages of Abi-Normal posts looking for the oldest post with that wording. 

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Yep

And the Young Frankenstein reference was to Marty Feldman's taking a jar with a brain in it, and the label said "AB Normal," I believe, instead of Abi-normal. And yes, it was a great movie.

• Mikemetz
    Thanks

Thanks for the leads and extra work by MarineE5.  FYI, I have written a book about my 10+ years in Cancer World.  The first part of the book talks about being treated with chemo + rads, and getting NED after 9 months.  The second part talks about coping with the serious side effects  from the gifts that keep on giving--many that I'll have for life.  I have a chapter in the book on CSN, and use abi normal a few times--so wanted to know where it came from.

mike

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    abi-normal

the first person I remember using abi-normal, is Skiffin16. I started in this club, I didn't really want to be in, in 2012.

I've stayed FB friends with John and a few others. Happy to report John is an award winning photograper and color pencil artist in Fl. 

I stop in once in a while to see if there's anyone I can help, Still kicking it in Ohio, enjoy every day to the max