Side effect question

psro
psro Member Posts: 21

I have been on chemo for 10  months now...am told it will be permanent. Doing OK  with the usual side effects, but have developed a new one that I can't get past. I now have an incredibly itchy, scaly, burning rash around my neck. Dr says she never heard of this as a side effect before. Doesn't matter to me if she's heard of it or not, it's driving me nuts!! Anyone else had this, or any ideas how to get some relief? The RX cream doesn't help.

Comments

• KatKane
    KatKane Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019 #2
    Rash

I have what appears to be poison ivy. But...I do not believe its poison ivy. I think its a reaction to Herceptin. I have been reading that many of us have the same thing going on. I have had hives pop out since the start of Herceptin in 2017. Sometimes bad....and sometimes just a few hives. But the big thing for me was horrible itching in my forearms. No visable rash just horrible itching like bugs biting under my skin. I read once in a cancer blog that another lady had the exact same thing.  I get so annoyed when the Dr's act like they have never heard of it. I say WHY! Its documented. As a matter of fact it is documented right here on the Amer Cancer Society website.  I just get so annoyed with Dr's poopooing our side effects and not researching it so they can inform us. NO...we have to do the research and then when we mention what we have read....the sometimes get insulted.  Its like being stuck between a rock and a hard spot. 

So now I will dig in and research because this Im going nuts with the itching. I use the numbing cream I have for my port to make the itching stop. I was told that its not good for my heart to use to much of the lidocane. But its that or go nuts.   

• psro
    psro Member Posts: 21
    KatKane said:

Rash

I have what appears to be poison ivy. But...I do not believe its poison ivy. I think its a reaction to Herceptin. I have been reading that many of us have the same thing going on. I have had hives pop out since the start of Herceptin in 2017. Sometimes bad....and sometimes just a few hives. But the big thing for me was horrible itching in my forearms. No visable rash just horrible itching like bugs biting under my skin. I read once in a cancer blog that another lady had the exact same thing.  I get so annoyed when the Dr's act like they have never heard of it. I say WHY! Its documented. As a matter of fact it is documented right here on the Amer Cancer Society website.  I just get so annoyed with Dr's poopooing our side effects and not researching it so they can inform us. NO...we have to do the research and then when we mention what we have read....the sometimes get insulted.  Its like being stuck between a rock and a hard spot. 

So now I will dig in and research because this Im going nuts with the itching. I use the numbing cream I have for my port to make the itching stop. I was told that its not good for my heart to use to much of the lidocane. But its that or go nuts.   

I so understand what you're

I so understand what you're saying! The fact that my oncologist has never seen this before amazes me. I don't have the numbing cream, so that's not an option.  I try very hard not to scratch the rash when I'm awake, but it seems like I do it in my sleep. I'm afraid that I'll  scratch it to the point of infection. That's all I need!!

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Prayers going up

The best ones to know and help you with your side effects are your onc nurses.  Ask them.  When I rashed during my chemo and adjunct therepy I used Benadryl as directed.  But always always ask your docs first before you take any meds.   

If you go through some topics on here, you can find people who have or had simular problems during chemo.  There are many archives of great info on here.   

Lots and prayers and hugs to you,

Annie