Cancer Metastatic to Neck Lymph Node

Options
Soldier of Love
Soldier of Love Member Posts: 12 Member

Hello Family,

I a new member to the head and neck with SCC MPV Tonsil Cancer.  I was told it's at stage 1 with a tumor on the right side of my neck.  They were wanting to do Robotics surgery with possible RAD treatment after.  Won't know until they do the surgery.  I'm worried for a few reasons.  If I need CHEMO and RAD will that effect my teeth?  I have had several infections in my mouth that caused the removal of several teeth.  That's because I didn't have insurance and put it off.  Also Should I get a second opinion I'm only at stage one?  Should I get a second opinion at the same hospital or somewhere else?

Comments

• Pclark21st
    Pclark21st Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Always get a 2nd opinion.  Go

Always get a 2nd opinion.  Go to a great cancer center where they have a tumor board.  Fur sure thatll affect your teeth.  You'll need to see a dentist before treatment and most docs will require the dentist to sign off that all dental work is complete.

Gather as much info as you can to ask appropriate questions.  There are so many different treatments and so many different results.  Good luck.

• tbret
    tbret Member Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    yep

You need to see a dentist and that dentist needs to have a clue about people who take radiation to the jaw.   My dentist consulted someone who specializes in dentistry for cancer patients and as a result I got to keep the teeth I have, but there were x-rays and things before that was decided. Now i go to the dentist every 90 days. It's a little expensive, but I am partial (no pun intended) to chewing, so I go. 

I chose my doctors carefully.  If I had just been seen by "whoever was up next" in the clinic, I would definitely have sought a second opinion or flown to a cancer center.

• skidog
    skidog Member Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    2nd and 3rd opinion

SoldierOLove, if you can definitley get a second..even a 3rd opinion. I had the same diagnosis and went with Mayo Clinic Proton beam therepy. see my posts for more detail. Skidog.  Good luck! you can do this!

• hlrowe
    hlrowe Member Posts: 80
    Options
    You really only need to worry

You really only need to worry about loose teeth. Chemo/Rad do not affect teeth directly. What does happen is you will have reduced saliva and dry mouth if you do need radiation. That can cause a lot of decay. You have to REALLY keep your remaining teeth clean.

I had a tumor just above my epiglottis and into some lymph nodes. I had no surgery. 35 rads and 6 Cisplatin treatments. 

What you have has a VERY high survivor rate.

If you do wish to get a seond opinion I would go to the nearest large cancer center. Most cancer centers utilize the same protocols.

• Drivingdaisy
    Drivingdaisy Member Posts: 263
    Options
    skidog said:

2nd and 3rd opinion

SoldierOLove, if you can definitley get a second..even a 3rd opinion. I had the same diagnosis and went with Mayo Clinic Proton beam therepy. see my posts for more detail. Skidog.  Good luck! you can do this!

Skidog

Wish I would have gone to Mayo for proton beam, don’t think I’d be in this condition if I would have.  Actually felt good & could have made the trip but trusted the referrals I got here in Sarasota.  Big, big mistake.  Go figure 3 yrs later they will be opening a new Cancer Center at the local hospital right down the street from Me shorty with, Team approach & latest radiation tech.  Murphy’s law for me as usual.  Need the Team approach.  Not 2 Drs stuck in their ways pushing for decisions Made by Me ASAP.  Not taking No for an answer.  By the way you look very good & healthy.  I’m skin & bones living on plant- based shakes.  Tells Me you appear happy with your outcome!  Good luck everyone battling this beast!

• Drivingdaisy
    Drivingdaisy Member Posts: 263
    Options

Always get a 2nd opinion.  Go

Always get a 2nd opinion.  Go to a great cancer center where they have a tumor board.  Fur sure thatll affect your teeth.  You'll need to see a dentist before treatment and most docs will require the dentist to sign off that all dental work is complete.

Gather as much info as you can to ask appropriate questions.  There are so many different treatments and so many different results.  Good luck.

Pclark21st

Mine never talked much at all about my teeth.  My dentist didn’t know anything regarding Throat Cancer & didn’t find My new one till after treatment was over after he moved here from NY.  Very thowledged & has helped me a lot post treatment.  Hey My Centers didn’t even have a pain Dr or referraL.  Should have traveled across the state to Mayo in Jacksonville or at least Moffit in Tampa, Fla.  was misinformed on Moffit.  Was told for prostrate Cancer but that was actually the branch here in town.  Like I’ve mentioned not given much time to research, pushed hard by Drs to starT immediatelY.  Their initial DX was wrong Stage 2-3 with tongue & lung involved but later found no tongue, lung or lymph, faulty reading on Pet Scan.  Stage 1.  It was like being part of a 3 stooges show!  Teeth are important.  Protect & keep clean rinsing after eating & drinking anything 3 yrs later a must if you can’t brush right away.  So far No problems or cavitie, may it stay that way now that All My saliva is gone permanently.

• Soldier of Love
    Soldier of Love Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hlrowe said:

You really only need to worry

You really only need to worry about loose teeth. Chemo/Rad do not affect teeth directly. What does happen is you will have reduced saliva and dry mouth if you do need radiation. That can cause a lot of decay. You have to REALLY keep your remaining teeth clean.

I had a tumor just above my epiglottis and into some lymph nodes. I had no surgery. 35 rads and 6 Cisplatin treatments. 

What you have has a VERY high survivor rate.

If you do wish to get a seond opinion I would go to the nearest large cancer center. Most cancer centers utilize the same protocols.

What I now have is Stage 3 Cancer nexk cancer thats aggressive.

Just got out of surgery 9 lymth nodes removed and 4 CM Metastatic on right side of neck remocver along with my tonsisls and additional tumor.  I had feeding tube down my nose, hose draining blood from my neck, and a catherater inserted to pee.  Its been one week after my surgery and I finaly am tube free. Yeah  I was so happy to have the catherather remove that was telling evaeryone Im now free to pee.  Seems like im in constant pain when the meds ware off. My toung is so swollen it like a watermellon that stops me from eating and talking.  They now want to put togetger a treatment plan for RAD & Chemo.  Not sure if this is what I want to do based on my current condition and backround health history.  I already have bad DNA for Hygene and bone loss in my jaw.  I also Have Hypothryodism and tenasis of the ears.  This seems like a death sentance and I'm feeling positive and with my faith and strenght that I'm better off without.  We all know that the quality of life after can be for some. I believe I'm some.  Is there ayone else in the same boat? Im starting to get worried about if I make the wrong choice.  The way I look at it is, If my cancer gets worse or comes back then and only then will I elcet to do RAD.  This seems more sensible to a healtyh young man of 50 yrs. Too late for a second opion as they thought I had time I would of. Not over yet....huh

• Sabrina23
    Sabrina23 Member Posts: 103 Member
    Options

What I now have is Stage 3 Cancer nexk cancer thats aggressive.

Just got out of surgery 9 lymth nodes removed and 4 CM Metastatic on right side of neck remocver along with my tonsisls and additional tumor.  I had feeding tube down my nose, hose draining blood from my neck, and a catherater inserted to pee.  Its been one week after my surgery and I finaly am tube free. Yeah  I was so happy to have the catherather remove that was telling evaeryone Im now free to pee.  Seems like im in constant pain when the meds ware off. My toung is so swollen it like a watermellon that stops me from eating and talking.  They now want to put togetger a treatment plan for RAD & Chemo.  Not sure if this is what I want to do based on my current condition and backround health history.  I already have bad DNA for Hygene and bone loss in my jaw.  I also Have Hypothryodism and tenasis of the ears.  This seems like a death sentance and I'm feeling positive and with my faith and strenght that I'm better off without.  We all know that the quality of life after can be for some. I believe I'm some.  Is there ayone else in the same boat? Im starting to get worried about if I make the wrong choice.  The way I look at it is, If my cancer gets worse or comes back then and only then will I elcet to do RAD.  This seems more sensible to a healtyh young man of 50 yrs. Too late for a second opion as they thought I had time I would of. Not over yet....huh

Please re consider rads and chemo

God be with you Soldier of Love I konw this is diffcult but you will get thru it.  For what it is worth I would go to rads and chemo and do the full 360 treatment complete the C circle especially if it is aggressive.  Stay strong and I pray you get well soon!

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sabrina23 said:

Please re consider rads and chemo

God be with you Soldier of Love I konw this is diffcult but you will get thru it.  For what it is worth I would go to rads and chemo and do the full 360 treatment complete the C circle especially if it is aggressive.  Stay strong and I pray you get well soon!

Rads and chemo

Sabrina is right, listen to your medical team. You have to get this right the first time you can do it. Lean on your faith and family they will give you the strength to see this through. We are sending prayers your way.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Definately get a 2nd opinion.

Definately get a 2nd opinion. I got an opinion from a local canceer center and then from MD Anderson. Told the treatemtn plan would be the same - so i went with the local centrer so I could be at home.

As for teeth. My center tld me to see a dentist, but they never asked for verification I had.

My dentist said if your teeth are healthy then nothing else to do but keep them healthy.

I'm 2 years post treatment for stage 3 throat cancer and You'd never know it. back to 100%.