Complex cyst follow-up

suki1724
suki1724 Member Posts: 37

My complex left upper-pole renal cyst that has been monitored for a few years has grown from 4.6 cm to 5.6 cm since last October. I have been doing monitoring near my home in Chicago and sending the reports/discs to the Mayo Clinic, and they called today that they need to see me there for an MRI on their equipment and bloodwork.  

I'm pretty concerned about the MRI because I've had many of them (I was having breast MRI's before my mastectomy, and then 6 months after that having an abdominal MRI to monitor kidneys, pancreas, etc, due to my genetics and the left kidney cyst, this was about three years of monitoring, so lots of MRI contrast).  I have always been ok with the contrast until the last MRI in October of last year, and I got sick when I got home with arm pain on the IV side, nausea, severe headache and flu-like symptoms.   I really feel that my body has just had enough of the contrast.  I'm severely allergic to CT contrast and won't even attempt it, I had a life threatening reaction years ago and that's the reason for all the MRI's.

I don't want to travel to Rochester and refuse the contrast, but I really am worried about it.  I voiced my concern to the doctor today and he said there was lots they could do to make sure I was safe and don't get sick from the contrast, but it's just not sitting well with me tonight.  Looking for encouragement I guess.   

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Hi, Suki

I've been following your posts waiting for the results.  I know you have a lot going on right now, but I want you to take a deep breath and try to relax.  When I was first diagnosed I had to use breathing techniques in a quiet room so I could find some level of peace.  I encourage you to give this a try.  

I know this is extremely stressful, but you have to put your trust in your doctors.  I, too, am being treated in Rochester and although I'm no hospital expert I have to say, Mayo is one of the best medical centers you could find.  To help you out, I think it is appropriate to ask the doctor what steps they will take to ensure you are okay when given contrast.  I'm hopeful these details and your understanding of their plan will help you.

I'll be thinking and sending prayers your way. 

Wishing you only the best!

Stub 

• suki1724
    Thanks Stub! Your kind and

Thanks Stub! Your kind and wise words mean a lot. Thank you for reminding me that I’m in excellent hands at The Mayo Clinic. The prayers and good thoughts are greatly appreciated. Now I have to wait for them to call me and get the appointment set up, and (try) to be calm. 

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    good luck!

Adding to what stub said, make sure you communicate your concerns with your doctor. If you know, they should know. 

Sending you prayers and good thoughts! You've got this!

• suki1724
    eug91 said:

good luck!

Adding to what stub said, make sure you communicate your concerns with your doctor. If you know, they should know. 

Sending you prayers and good thoughts! You've got this!

Thanks eug91, the prayers and

Thanks eug91, the prayers and good thoughts are so appreciated!  :) 

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    edited August 2019 #6
    I am every doctor knowing

I am every doctor knowing your history of allergic effect on contrast will be very careful to ensure it is safe when you have it. Also, I still recalled that complexity is more important than size for complex cyst. So try not to be too concern about it!

Best wishes.

• suki1724

I am every doctor knowing

I am every doctor knowing your history of allergic effect on contrast will be very careful to ensure it is safe when you have it. Also, I still recalled that complexity is more important than size for complex cyst. So try not to be too concern about it!

Best wishes.

Thank you!  Thas is

Thank you!  Thas is reassuring and makes sense!  :)