Bilateral Mestectomy

Options
Annieinmass
Annieinmass Member Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi.

I was daignosed 3 weeks ago IDC and DCIS in both breasts. ER+, PR+, HER2-, 3 masses are graded 1. I am 54 and in good health otherwise. There is no family history of breast cancer, genetic testing showed no known mutations. Lumpectomy is an option for me but decided on bilateral mastectomy. I will have tissue expander during surgery and silicon implants when the time is right. Drs don't think I'll need radiation or chemo but that remains to be seen after lymph nodes are tested. I also have a calcification "cluster" in each breast which has not been biopsied as I decided on the BMX.

I'm looking to find out what to expect post op from someone who has gone throught it.

I have read though many of the posts on this page and value everyone's insight and experiences.

Annie

Comments

• wallis2
    wallis2 Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Anna,

Hi Anna,

I had bilateral mastectomy only.  My healing process may differ from yours. I am 50 years old and had breast cancer in my left breast with radiation.  The doctor left the door open for me to have reconstruction, but I haven't decided yet.  I don't want to be cut again.  It took me 3 months to heal from my bilateral mastectomy and I had 25 rounds of radiation. You are right when you said they have to check your lumph nodes. I had one infected node.  After my radiation I have to take a 5 year pill and there are some effects from that.  I know this is hard to say not to worry, but it's hard for everyone.  I feel better when I come to this website and chat or read some post.  

• XRP
    XRP Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019 #3
    Options
    wallis2 said:

Hi Anna,

Hi Anna,

I had bilateral mastectomy only.  My healing process may differ from yours. I am 50 years old and had breast cancer in my left breast with radiation.  The doctor left the door open for me to have reconstruction, but I haven't decided yet.  I don't want to be cut again.  It took me 3 months to heal from my bilateral mastectomy and I had 25 rounds of radiation. You are right when you said they have to check your lumph nodes. I had one infected node.  After my radiation I have to take a 5 year pill and there are some effects from that.  I know this is hard to say not to worry, but it's hard for everyone.  I feel better when I come to this website and chat or read some post.  

Bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction

Hi Annie,

I am 48 yo, had DCIS with nipple-sparing bilateral mastectomy 2 months ago. Sentinel lymph nodes negative. No need of chemo, radiation or Tamoxifen. The first 2 weeks post surgery were very hard, but it gets a litle bit better as the time goes by. I started to drive at the 3rd week.  It has a been a very hard process both physicially and emotionally. Life will never be the same that is for sure. As the time goes by, I feel better although I started to feel a burning pain in the middle of my chest like if I had a bad sunburn.  The doctor prescribed Gabapentin which has helped me some, but makes me feel depressed. The worst for me is the chest tightness due to the Aerofrom expanders for future breast reconstruction, I only had 2 expansions up to this moment because the pain after the expansion is pretty bad. The cosmetic result is pretty good but I have lost all sensation in my nipples, which as a woman is a very very hard pill to swallow.  Although every day is better, it feels like I am wearing the tightest bra ever. It's hard to even take a deep breath. The tightness in the chest is pretty bad,  I have to stretch my arms for several mintes before I get out of bed every day. My surgeons said she wouldn't prescribe physical therapy because I have to do therapy for the rest of my life and I can see that. Somedays I have a burning feeling, somedays I have tingling or sharp pain.  I also have a weird sensation i my chest when I swallow something cold or warm. I guess I just need to get used to it. I am scheduled for the reconstruction in Mid October. WIll let you guys know how that goes. 

• Katrina38
    Katrina38 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2019 #4
    Options
    Expanders pain

it’s been 2 weeks well 11 days after double masectomy and the pain feels like some is trying to poke out my chest this pain had  me in tears has anyone taken there expanders out early because of the pain . I’m trying to hold on but this is painful and depressing I’m 38 

• wallis2
    Options
    Katrina38 said:

Expanders pain

it’s been 2 weeks well 11 days after double masectomy and the pain feels like some is trying to poke out my chest this pain had  me in tears has anyone taken there expanders out early because of the pain . I’m trying to hold on but this is painful and depressing I’m 38 

This is not the answer to

This is not the answer to your question, but I had bilateral mastectomy 2018 and the doctor left the door open for me to get reconstruction in the future.  I have read these comments and it makes me have second thoughts getting my reconstruction. 

• wallis2
    Options
    XRP said:

Hi Annie,

I am 48 yo, had DCIS with nipple-sparing bilateral mastectomy 2 months ago. Sentinel lymph nodes negative. No need of chemo, radiation or Tamoxifen. The first 2 weeks post surgery were very hard, but it gets a litle bit better as the time goes by. I started to drive at the 3rd week.  It has a been a very hard process both physicially and emotionally. Life will never be the same that is for sure. As the time goes by, I feel better although I started to feel a burning pain in the middle of my chest like if I had a bad sunburn.  The doctor prescribed Gabapentin which has helped me some, but makes me feel depressed. The worst for me is the chest tightness due to the Aerofrom expanders for future breast reconstruction, I only had 2 expansions up to this moment because the pain after the expansion is pretty bad. The cosmetic result is pretty good but I have lost all sensation in my nipples, which as a woman is a very very hard pill to swallow.  Although every day is better, it feels like I am wearing the tightest bra ever. It's hard to even take a deep breath. The tightness in the chest is pretty bad,  I have to stretch my arms for several mintes before I get out of bed every day. My surgeons said she wouldn't prescribe physical therapy because I have to do therapy for the rest of my life and I can see that. Somedays I have a burning feeling, somedays I have tingling or sharp pain.  I also have a weird sensation i my chest when I swallow something cold or warm. I guess I just need to get used to it. I am scheduled for the reconstruction in Mid October. WIll let you guys know how that goes. 

I had my double mastectomy

I had my double mastectomy and still feel tightness like a band.  I started taking physical therapy and stop because I can do it at home.  To be honest, it was helping.  All the effects you are having is happeining to me. Keep me informed when you have your recostruction because I want it but reading all the comments up here makes me have second thoughts. Smile

• Omni44
    Omni44 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019 #7
    Options
    I had a recent bilateral masectomy

Hi! I had a bilateral masectomy on 9/5/19 and I'm 55 years old in good health. The first two weeks the pain was pretty bad. It felt like someone sawed me in half. The pain killers really helped, so I just set a reminder on your phone to take them as perscribed. Sleeping on my back is a struggle and I will have to do that for 4 months. I wish I had more pillows so I could find a comfortable position. I have gotten prepared meals through a meal train, that helps. Two weeks after my surgery I started feeling my energy coming back and have been able to sit up most of the day. I tried to drive my car today and the pain under my arms and in my chest got to be uncomfortable, so I won't be doing that again soon. Now my pain is more under my arms. I was told I have to rest and should not use my arms, and I'm bored and overly anxious to do something, anything, but rest. I also have expanders and they do not bother me, although they are a little hard. My skin was completely bruised after surgery and today it looks fine. I was told that the feeling in my skin willl come back but it could take a year or more.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    be kind to yourself..

It takes a lot of time.  Listen to your doctors.  Take note and care of your arms.  

Hugs,

Annie

• My Lan
    My Lan Member Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2021 #9
    Options
    Hi

Annie

i had DCIS and IDc on both of my breast too, I had double mastectomy my left DCIS 5cm . I just done all my treatment , now I am on Tamoxifen.  I will talk to you more because you have the same case like mine

• THuff
    THuff Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi

I am new here and newly diagnosed. I was diagnosed with Invasive Mammory Carcinoma on April 9,2021. I am ER+, PR+ HER2-. I just had a double mastectomy Tuesday May 4th. I have been blessed with no "pain" just soreness. I have tissue expanders in and go Monday for my post-op check up with my plas surgeon. I don't know what to expect. Everything for me happened so fast I don't really think I have truly had time to really process what is going on. Thankfully I have an amazing significant other and a village of friends and family that are supportive of my decision. Any advice or tips on what to expect in the weeks and months to come?

• Pjxs2
    Pjxs2 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021 #11
    Options
    XRP said:

Hi Annie,

Same boat here. Had a fat

Same boat here. Had a fat transfer 3 weeks ago. Drains

taken out a week ago. The aerofoam left me with a rash. The feeling in your nipples will eventually return. 

• ccreel64
    ccreel64 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    THuff said:

Hi

I am new here and newly diagnosed. I was diagnosed with Invasive Mammory Carcinoma on April 9,2021. I am ER+, PR+ HER2-. I just had a double mastectomy Tuesday May 4th. I have been blessed with no "pain" just soreness. I have tissue expanders in and go Monday for my post-op check up with my plas surgeon. I don't know what to expect. Everything for me happened so fast I don't really think I have truly had time to really process what is going on. Thankfully I have an amazing significant other and a village of friends and family that are supportive of my decision. Any advice or tips on what to expect in the weeks and months to come?

Hi THuff,

I can't comment on what to expect in your plastic surgeon post op check up. I went flat in April of this year after my double. I do hope all went well for you, and I sympathize with the feeling that everything happened almost too fast to process. I'm standing right beside you on that one.

charlottte

• 20BC21j
    20BC21j Member Posts: 1
    Options
    THuff said:

Hi

i will be following your story.

please keep us up to date. my surgery is scheduled on the 28th of May. i need hints what to expect. 

• aytpebbles
    aytpebbles Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2021 #14
    Options
    Pjxs2 said:

Same boat here. Had a fat

Same boat here. Had a fat transfer 3 weeks ago. Drains

taken out a week ago. The aerofoam left me with a rash. The feeling in your nipples will eventually return. 

Good morning I am new to the

Good morning I am new to the site and I meet the plastic surgeon on tomorrow to decide on my plan.  How are you doing?  I am hoping I am able to transfer the fat from my stomach just wanted to know your feelings about at this point in your recovery.

• aytpebbles
    aytpebbles Member Posts: 2
    Options
    THuff said:

Hi

I'm new here and would love

I'm new here and would love to follow your story. I am meeting with plastics tomorrow to determine what I will be doing.  I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and told on yesterday after having my MRI done that it is larger than what was expected.  So, now instead I have to have a mastectomy instead of a partial. I'm just ready to get it over with it.