Newly Diagnosed Stage 3

Options
Kelly17
Kelly17 Member Posts: 8

Hello!  I’m 57 and I was just diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in my left breast. I have no family history whatsoever of breast cancer. I went in for a nuclear stress test on my heart. My heart is fine but the nuclear material found a breast lump. Following a biopsy, they determined it was malignant, Estrogen positive, and that 1 lymph node is involved. I’ve met with an oncologist and a breast surgeon. On Friday, I’m having a PET scan to see if it’s anywhere else and I meet with the surgeon again on Monday. I’ve faithfully had my mammograms since I was 40 and, in fact, my last one 8 months ago was totally clear. I’m absolutely scared to death. My oncologist and my surgeon say that this is treatable. The PET scan will be used to determine my treatment plan. They keep telling me this is standard procedure to have a baseline PET scan before treatment.  However, I’m worried the PET scan might show something else. If anyone has any advice or words of encouragemen, I would love to hear it. 

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sorry

Kelly17, so sorry your here but you came to a great support group. Welcome new warrior. 

I was estrogen postive and only a stage 1.   I had a bilateral mastectomy followed by chemo, adjunct therapy, and now on the "5 year" pill.  Breast cancer does not have to run in families and a lot of the time, it dont.  I did not have a PET.  I think it depends on your biopsy and your doctor.   So many different opinions.  Like all illness, get a second opinion, it is not wrong to do so.  In this cancer world, you have to be a big advocate for your treatment.  

I chose the complete mastectomy because my other breast had questionable spots all over.  I said nope not going to do again, take them off they are killers.  I chose not to have reconstruction.  I have not regretted it.  It is a personal choice for all.  BC did run in my family along with many other types.  I now have UTUC of the kidney.   Not a mets, it is a new one.  

One thing here, we dont judge.  We cheer you on and pray for better days and wonderful outcomes.   This is not an easy journey so be kind to yourself and go your own pace.  It is not a contest.  If you have any questions, someone on here has been there or done that and probably has a compassionate and eductional response.  Also, your allowed to vent, it is very ok here.   

Make sure you feel out your bio and read others.  So many many wonderful people are here.

Hugs,

Annie

• Kelly17
    Options
    Apaugh said:

sorry

Kelly17, so sorry your here but you came to a great support group. Welcome new warrior. 

I was estrogen postive and only a stage 1.   I had a bilateral mastectomy followed by chemo, adjunct therapy, and now on the "5 year" pill.  Breast cancer does not have to run in families and a lot of the time, it dont.  I did not have a PET.  I think it depends on your biopsy and your doctor.   So many different opinions.  Like all illness, get a second opinion, it is not wrong to do so.  In this cancer world, you have to be a big advocate for your treatment.  

I chose the complete mastectomy because my other breast had questionable spots all over.  I said nope not going to do again, take them off they are killers.  I chose not to have reconstruction.  I have not regretted it.  It is a personal choice for all.  BC did run in my family along with many other types.  I now have UTUC of the kidney.   Not a mets, it is a new one.  

One thing here, we dont judge.  We cheer you on and pray for better days and wonderful outcomes.   This is not an easy journey so be kind to yourself and go your own pace.  It is not a contest.  If you have any questions, someone on here has been there or done that and probably has a compassionate and eductional response.  Also, your allowed to vent, it is very ok here.   

Make sure you feel out your bio and read others.  So many many wonderful people are here.

Hugs,

Annie

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and wise advice Annie. I will definitely read other bios. I want to learn as much as I can about this horrible disease. 

• meadowglade
    meadowglade Member Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So sorry and..

Welcome. Annie is so right this is a great place to be. I wish I had found it when I first found out. I am in treatment for a rare form of breast cancer, triple negative. It is treated first with the uusal form A/O then Taxdol. Surgery was next. I had a pre op ultrasound and it didn't show a mass like the one that found my cancer. We all thought it was great, until he went in and found the cancer was not killed and the tumor site was just a bit bigger then expected. I had 3 lymph nodes involved, we knew there were two at least. The surgery came back that they got it all and the margins around it were clear. The surgon said it was a stage 2b. I am now doing radiation, I just had my 21st treatment out of 28. If my skin still looks good I will have 5 "booster" treatments. I am getting radiation under my arm, my breast and my clavical area. He didn't want to take any chances with my type of cancer. When I am done with this I will take a chemo pill for 6 months that works with my immune system, then a trial that has more immune theraphy. Keep asking questions, write them down to take with you. Ask the nurses what they are doing and what you can do to help. Ask here, like Annie said. We are here for you.

Linda

• Kelly17
    edited June 2019 #5
    Options

So sorry and..

Welcome. Annie is so right this is a great place to be. I wish I had found it when I first found out. I am in treatment for a rare form of breast cancer, triple negative. It is treated first with the uusal form A/O then Taxdol. Surgery was next. I had a pre op ultrasound and it didn't show a mass like the one that found my cancer. We all thought it was great, until he went in and found the cancer was not killed and the tumor site was just a bit bigger then expected. I had 3 lymph nodes involved, we knew there were two at least. The surgery came back that they got it all and the margins around it were clear. The surgon said it was a stage 2b. I am now doing radiation, I just had my 21st treatment out of 28. If my skin still looks good I will have 5 "booster" treatments. I am getting radiation under my arm, my breast and my clavical area. He didn't want to take any chances with my type of cancer. When I am done with this I will take a chemo pill for 6 months that works with my immune system, then a trial that has more immune theraphy. Keep asking questions, write them down to take with you. Ask the nurses what they are doing and what you can do to help. Ask here, like Annie said. We are here for you.

Linda

Thank you!

Thank you so much Linda!!  I’m so afraid. My doctor wanted to do a PET scan but my insurance company said no.  The doctor appealed it and they still said no. So I’m getting CT scans and an MRI next week. Then, my surg and my oncologist will meet and decide on my options. I hope and pray they can get it.  

• Bevoir
    Bevoir Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2019 #6
    Options
    Kelly17 said:

Thank you!

Thank you so much Linda!!  I’m so afraid. My doctor wanted to do a PET scan but my insurance company said no.  The doctor appealed it and they still said no. So I’m getting CT scans and an MRI next week. Then, my surg and my oncologist will meet and decide on my options. I hope and pray they can get it.  

Hi, Kelly

Hi, Kelly

I was diagnosed this week and, like you, I’m absolutely terrified.  I’m awaiting my consultation next week with my doctors and will know more about scans, etc then.  But im so anxious that it might have spread.  What a horrible roller coaster ride this is.  Just wanted to reach out & say hello and I understand how you’re feeling.

take care 

• Kelly17
    edited June 2019 #7
    Options
    Bevoir said:

Hi, Kelly

Hi, Kelly

I was diagnosed this week and, like you, I’m absolutely terrified.  I’m awaiting my consultation next week with my doctors and will know more about scans, etc then.  But im so anxious that it might have spread.  What a horrible roller coaster ride this is.  Just wanted to reach out & say hello and I understand how you’re feeling.

take care 

Hi Bevoir

Hi there and thank you so much for reaching out. I see my surgeon Monday to hopefully find out my treatment plan. I will keep you in my prayers. I will let you know what I find out on Monday. I’m absolutely terrified and I wouldn’t wish that fear on anyone.  If you feel up to it, please keep me updated on how you are doing. We Stage 3 gals need each other badly!

Sending you a hug and feel free to message me anytime,

Kelly

• Bevoir
    Bevoir Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Kelly17 said:

Hi Bevoir

Hi there and thank you so much for reaching out. I see my surgeon Monday to hopefully find out my treatment plan. I will keep you in my prayers. I will let you know what I find out on Monday. I’m absolutely terrified and I wouldn’t wish that fear on anyone.  If you feel up to it, please keep me updated on how you are doing. We Stage 3 gals need each other badly!

Sending you a hug and feel free to message me anytime,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Hi Kelly,

I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow.  I know that feeling of terror and it’s brutal right now.  I just keep thinking the worst, and that’s not good for anyone.  But my mind is running at a million miles an hour right now.  I bet yours is too. Sending you tons of positive energy and prayers.  Please let me know how you get on.  It looks like we are going to be gong through our treatment at around the same time.  I’m here if you need to chat.

Big hugs & take care 

B

• meadowglade
    meadowglade Member Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Found out

Well, I found out they upped my cancer to a stage 3a because of the type it is and how the cancer wasn't killed with the first chemo. treatment. I am doing everything I can to keep this from coming back! Please let me know how things turn out Kelly and Bevoir. If I can help in any way let me know.

• Kelly17
    Options
    Sending you a hug and prayers

Meadow, I’m so very sorry. I will be thinking of you and praying for you. I hope your doctors can get on top of this quickly. I will let you know what I find out and please keep me updated about you. I’m rooting for you!

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    be kind to yourself..

Ladies you are wonderful and beautifully made.  Keep marching forward.  Keep fighting like hell.  Be an active participant in your care.  Learn all you can about your cancer.   Ask for help often.  Drink drink drink that water and when you get tired of it, drink some more and add watermelon!   Chemo is rough.  I did not have to have radiation but from what I hear from others, it is tough.   

SE's are real and many times the docs have no clue as to what causes them in some and others dont have them.  But know you are not being a baby about it and your not crazy either.  Someone on here has been there' done that and if you post a new thread asking about it, someone on here will respond and tell you what they did to help them.

Try to find humor in something each day.  Find a silver lining to each day.  Buy yourself something nice.  It dont have to be huge or expensive.  It will make you smile and that is what we all need.

We are here, we care.  

Hugs and Prayers,

Annie

• anniemshe
    anniemshe Member Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Amen to that!!

You are SO right Annie!! Thinking good thoughts and prayers ladies! God bless all of us

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't belong on this forum.  I had colon cancer.  But I wanted you all to know that it can be beat, and age doesn't matter. I was 77 when diagnosed.  Currently 87 and still NED.  You can do it too!!  So have faith in your doctors and hang in there.  It may be a bumppy road, but it is doable for us all.  Good Luck.

• Kelly17
    Options
    danker said:

I don't belong on this forum.  I had colon cancer.  But I wanted you all to know that it can be beat, and age doesn't matter. I was 77 when diagnosed.  Currently 87 and still NED.  You can do it too!!  So have faith in your doctors and hang in there.  It may be a bumppy road, but it is doable for us all.  Good Luck.

Thank You!

Thank you so much danker!  I’ve been having a rough couple of weeks and I love hearing stories about folks beating this horrible disease. I hope you have many years more of NED!!!

• Bebe1955
    Bebe1955 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Kelly, I am new here and was diagnosed June 2021 with stage 3C invasive ductal carcinoma. I had 12 positive lymph nodes and started chemo 8/4/21. I have completed 4 rounds of AC and start Taxol dose dense tomorrow getting 4 rounds. I know you were very scared as am I. I wanted to know how you are and if you are cancer fre now. I pray you are!! Thanks!