Estrogen Vaginal Cream

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

I had Garden Variety Endometrial Cancer 9 years ago.  Everything has been fine and dandy since and surgery was the only treatment need.  I also had breast cancer and was treated with chemo and anti-estrogen (Tamoxifen and Arimidex) after.  For the last couple of years I have been having frequent bladder "infections" (sometimes culture does not grow anything and I have been worked up by a urologist so I'm not too worried about cancer contributing) .  My breast cancer oncologist suggested I start using estrogen vaginal cream because being so estrogen deprived might contribute to the symptoms I'm having (hematuria, pain and frequency).  And the estrogen applied is only absirbed locally, not systemically.    Then I remembered I also had endometrial cancer.  Just wondering what you have been told if anything about use of estrogen vaginal cream.  I will check with oncologist first, of course, just wondering what you all have experienced.  

Thanks a bunch.

Suzanne

Comments

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    I wouldn’t

but you might try vitamin e vaginal suppositories. You can get them on amazon. 

• zsazsa1
    zsazsa1 Member Posts: 565 Member
    My tumor (UPSC/clear cell)

My tumor (UPSC/clear cell) actually had estrogen receptors, so I'm now taking an estrogen blocker.  It's something you should discuss with your oncologist.  Perhaps your tumor was tested for estrogen receptors?

• Kathy G.
    Kathy G. Member Posts: 244 Member
    Hi Suzanne!

Hi Suzanne!

I was prescribed the same thing for frequent UTIs by my family doctor. I asked about the risk factor given my estrogen driven uterine cancer and he said that given the low doseage of the cream and directions to just use a couple times a week the risk of using it was minimal.

However, after thinking it over I decided not to use it. I know if I ever had a reoccurrence I would blame the cream and kick myself in the butt for using it!

I researched UTI treatments other than antibiotics and found d-mannose on Amazon. If used regularly it can reduce or even eliminate UTIs...

Best of luck on your decision!

Kathy

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Highly endorse

d-mannose but I think it is only effective if on e-coli. I use it religiously. Combined with vitamin e suppositories for the dryness May be a winner. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    Suzanne, so good to hear from

Suzanne, so good to hear from you.  Sine you had the 'garden variety type' it might not be an issue, but UPSC women have to avoid all hormones as it feeds our cancer.  Heck, the body treats soy as hormone, so I avoid all soy products as well.  

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Suzanne, great to hear from

Suzanne, great to hear from you! I had UPSC and my GYN/Oncologist wanted me to use the vaginal cream as well. I did try it for a couple of weeks but was never comfortable with the idea of using estrogen anything. He assured me there was very minimal risk but I just couldn't convince myself to use it. I also use the vitamin e suppositories for dryness and itching. Like Cheese said, they work well. I don't have bladder infections or those kinds of symptoms so I can't offer up anything along that line.... Except to say that I drink a lot of water. 

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• dcardwell
    dcardwell Member Posts: 1
    Blood Transfusions

I was wondering if anyone else had to have blood transfusion while undergoing treatment. I am on the 2nd round to taxol and needing another blood transfusion. This will make 2.

d

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    dcardwell said:

Blood Transfusions

I was wondering if anyone else had to have blood transfusion while undergoing treatment. I am on the 2nd round to taxol and needing another blood transfusion. This will make 2.

d

I had neutropenia but not

I had neutropenia but not anemia.

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    edited June 2019 #10
    I'm going to give it a try

Having just gone through one of those "not quite" a bladder infection, with lots of blood and clotting, I asked my breast oncologist about using the cream when I also had had endo cancer.  She checked with my gynecologic oncologist and he said it was ok.  So she wrote me an rx.  I will start tomorrow I think and use the 90 day supply and see what happens.  BTW my co pay for the cream was $75 for 3 months so I will use it - as directed.  We'll see if I have another episode during that 3 month period.  

I'm doing just fine and hope everyone else remains well.  My husband passed away unexpectedly April 20 so life is different to say the least.  The perfect storm.  A 60 year smoker, he got everything all at once and his body could not fight anymore:  He had, pneumonia, kidney failure, heart attack and had 7 stents and was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer within 3 weeks.  He did it his way . . . living life as he wanted.

Suzanne

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited June 2019 #11

Having just gone through one of those "not quite" a bladder infection, with lots of blood and clotting, I asked my breast oncologist about using the cream when I also had had endo cancer.  She checked with my gynecologic oncologist and he said it was ok.  So she wrote me an rx.  I will start tomorrow I think and use the 90 day supply and see what happens.  BTW my co pay for the cream was $75 for 3 months so I will use it - as directed.  We'll see if I have another episode during that 3 month period.  

I'm doing just fine and hope everyone else remains well.  My husband passed away unexpectedly April 20 so life is different to say the least.  The perfect storm.  A 60 year smoker, he got everything all at once and his body could not fight anymore:  He had, pneumonia, kidney failure, heart attack and had 7 stents and was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer within 3 weeks.  He did it his way . . . living life as he wanted.

Suzanne

I am so sorry! As if your own

I am so sorry! As if your own breast and uterine cancer weren't enough, you had to go through your late husband's health issues AND all that within three weeks is awful! Your head must have been just spinning.

Love,

Eldri

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    So Sorry!

Oh, Susan! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss!! I can't imagine what you are going through right now coping with this, but ((hugs))! 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member

Suzanne

Suzanne, I am so sorry to

Suzanne, I am so sorry to hear about your husband.  Thank you for letting us know.  I'm sure life is different and you are in my thoughts.

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member

Suzanne

Condolences

Oh, Whammy, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband! I'm sure that life is very, VERY different for you now. Please accept my belated condolences, this must be a very difficult time for you. Best wishes, B

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    My sympathies

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your husband so suddenly, especially since he suffered such a mix of medical emergencies at the end. So much stress and sadness for you, along with your own health issues. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    dcardwell said:

Blood Transfusions

d

Blood Transfusions

I did not need a blood transfusion when I had carboplatin and taxol. However, I did have blood transfusions twice when I had Ifosfamide and Adriamycin. Since I was receiving those drugs as an inpatient, the blood transfusions only delayed my treatment for a few hours and I still came home both times as scheduled.

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    Condolences

What a time you've had. So sorry to hear about your loss. May your fond memories and inner strength continue to carry you through.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    I’m so sorry Doublewammy!

I’m so sorry Doublewammy! Life is such a challenge for you. Prayers for strength in this difficult time.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Suzanne, So sorry to hear

Suzanne, So sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you have lots of love and support surrounding you during this time. Thanks so much for posting and letting us know how you are doing. Please come back and let us know how the cream does for you too.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
     Double Whammy, 

Double Whammy, 

I too want to express my sincere condolences on the death of your husband.

May God comfort you and your family. 

Lori

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited June 2019 #21
    Suzanne

i am so sorry. I want to say more but everything seems woefully inadequate. Please take care of yourself