Hair Loss

Options
124»

Comments

• KatnHat
    KatnHat Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cold cap

Hi, I did Taxol for 18 weeks, ending on Feb. 28th, 2017. My hair was falling out all along and I too had my hubby shave it down to about an inch. But I didn't go completely bald until April! (I took weekly pictures to show the loss and regrowth). My cancer recurred and I did several clinical trials with various chemo drugs throughout 2018, then immunotherapy during the spring of this year. My hair had grown out the usual curly and thick, but slowly started growing in straight! It is now very straight and fine!

I'm now back on Taxol and would like to keep what I have so I'm using a Cold Cap system. It's the Paxman brand and I got it free through my cancer facility (see below). I'm not sure it will be worth it since my hair is so fine on top, and they say that people do still end up losing their hair. But psychologically, it seems the right thing for me to do this time, even though I had a couple cute wigs and was fine with wearing hats. I just went hatless at home, where my husband and sometimes my siblings would see me.

My profile picture is from August of 2017 when my hair grew back the first time curly and thick.

Good luck!

paxmanscalpcooling.com

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    KatnHat said:

Cold cap

Hi, I did Taxol for 18 weeks, ending on Feb. 28th, 2017. My hair was falling out all along and I too had my hubby shave it down to about an inch. But I didn't go completely bald until April! (I took weekly pictures to show the loss and regrowth). My cancer recurred and I did several clinical trials with various chemo drugs throughout 2018, then immunotherapy during the spring of this year. My hair had grown out the usual curly and thick, but slowly started growing in straight! It is now very straight and fine!

I'm now back on Taxol and would like to keep what I have so I'm using a Cold Cap system. It's the Paxman brand and I got it free through my cancer facility (see below). I'm not sure it will be worth it since my hair is so fine on top, and they say that people do still end up losing their hair. But psychologically, it seems the right thing for me to do this time, even though I had a couple cute wigs and was fine with wearing hats. I just went hatless at home, where my husband and sometimes my siblings would see me.

My profile picture is from August of 2017 when my hair grew back the first time curly and thick.

Good luck!

paxmanscalpcooling.com

So glad to see you Katnhat!

For me the hair loss was emotionally painful as I chose not to tell most people of my diagnosis. I kept most of my hair until the third chemo. My husband joked that my trash can looked like someone lost their head. Lots of hair lost all at the same time. We all figure out the best combo of what works for us. Hats, scarfs, wigs, or commando. At age 68, my eyebrows were sparse anyway, and eyelashes were so 1990. So for me there was not much difference. The physical changes are very hard to deal with, regardless. 

Denise