Radiation /Anastrozole Pills

Options
wallis2
wallis2 Member Posts: 56 Member

Hi everyone I really need some feedback on this.  I am new to this and feel so upset, sad, and hurting.  Let me start by saying I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year.  I am 51 years old. At first I had a lumpectomy and the doctor stated the margins were wider and wanted to cut me again. I refused and decided to go ahead and have a bilateral mastectomy.  By the way the cancer was located on my left breast.  I was the one who made the decision to have both taken off.  I had very large breast 44 triple D and after all I was going in before the diagnose to have a breast reduction and that's when they found the cancer. Anyway after the lumpectomy, I was devasted when the doctor said the margins were wider and wanted to go back in that left breast and cut me again.  They said I had 2 choices, cut again in the left breast, remove the left breast.  I made the choice myself and said take both and then I won't have to be cut again later in the years hopefully.  Sometimes that will happen with survivors.  Well, after Thanksgiving I had surgery and it went well.  I had radiation and boy was that a disaster the last week.  I was working up until the last week and it burnt me up.  My skin was black as a crayon.  I put that cream the doctor gave me and other stuff and finally I read on this webste for this spray and the burn cleared up so fast.  Now I am taking the 5 year pill(Anastrozole) and I was ok until I started feeling aching and can't sleep.  I have been taking the pills since March and just started to feel the aching and losing sleep.  My appetite is good, but I body and bones are aching.  Also I had lumph nodes removed and I have some swelling under my arm, but I can live with that.   My ribs, shoulders, and back, hurt too. Can someone please tell me will this get better?  Can someone please tell me what I can do to feel better?  I really, really, need some advice. 

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    A little bit of everything...

Sounds like you got a lot going on.  Healing from this is different for many of us.  So many things factor in there and we are all different.  I always say the collateral damages of breast cancer goes on and on.  Until you go through it, you never truly understand that.  

So many of us struggle with what to do about the 5-yr pill.  How do will handle the SE of them?  Is it worth it?   It is a personal choice only you can make.  I hate the pill but I take the pill and it makes my bones feel like I am 80.  And my bone density in my spine has weakened.  

About the swelling, you can ask your surgeon or your GP to find you a physical therapist who specializes in breast cancer massage.  Not just anyone knows how to do them.  It is worth it.  They will help you and teach you self care.  I ended up with lymphedema.  Not a huge case of it but just enough to cause discomfort to my arms, neck, chest, upper back.  The Physical Therapist really helped me.  I am not saying you have that but they can do an assessment and tell you what it is.  Sometimes people who have had radiation have PT to loosen up the scar tissue from the intial breast surgery and scar tissue caused by radiation.  I have a friend that endures the same kind of pain you speak of and after several opinions they deterimined it was scar tissue and now she has massage once a week for it.  She says it really helps her.  

Anyhow, enough of my 2cents.  The battle is real.  You are a warrior and we care about you very much.  Keep fighting. Keep getting on here and always keep advocating for yourself with those docs.  

Hugs and prayers for better days,

Annie

• wallis2
    Options
    Apaugh said:

A little bit of everything...

Sounds like you got a lot going on.  Healing from this is different for many of us.  So many things factor in there and we are all different.  I always say the collateral damages of breast cancer goes on and on.  Until you go through it, you never truly understand that.  

So many of us struggle with what to do about the 5-yr pill.  How do will handle the SE of them?  Is it worth it?   It is a personal choice only you can make.  I hate the pill but I take the pill and it makes my bones feel like I am 80.  And my bone density in my spine has weakened.  

About the swelling, you can ask your surgeon or your GP to find you a physical therapist who specializes in breast cancer massage.  Not just anyone knows how to do them.  It is worth it.  They will help you and teach you self care.  I ended up with lymphedema.  Not a huge case of it but just enough to cause discomfort to my arms, neck, chest, upper back.  The Physical Therapist really helped me.  I am not saying you have that but they can do an assessment and tell you what it is.  Sometimes people who have had radiation have PT to loosen up the scar tissue from the intial breast surgery and scar tissue caused by radiation.  I have a friend that endures the same kind of pain you speak of and after several opinions they deterimined it was scar tissue and now she has massage once a week for it.  She says it really helps her.  

Anyhow, enough of my 2cents.  The battle is real.  You are a warrior and we care about you very much.  Keep fighting. Keep getting on here and always keep advocating for yourself with those docs.  

Hugs and prayers for better days,

Annie

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, I really need that.  Sometimes I feel like stop taking those pills, but I feel like it may be helping me and I will continue.  Now you said a bone density.  I have that in a month, is that something to be afraid of?  If my bones are starting to weaken is there something the doctor can do?

• Apaugh
    Options
    wallis2 said:

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, I really need that.  Sometimes I feel like stop taking those pills, but I feel like it may be helping me and I will continue.  Now you said a bone density.  I have that in a month, is that something to be afraid of?  If my bones are starting to weaken is there something the doctor can do?

It breaks my heart...there is no reversal.

It is the SE of cancer treatment. 

At the beginning of my journey the doc ordered a bone density test.   Insurance only pays for one every 2 yrs.  It is not painful at all.  You lay on a table and a scanner goes over you and that is it.  Takes about 5 min. for the test.  2 yrs. later he ordered another one and I already knew my bones were weaker.  The results were damage to the spine.  Now mind you, years ago I had broke my back in one place.   so that did not help, however that was repaired years prior to my cancer.  But now it feels like my whole back is broken.  My spine cannot efficiantly hold up my body.  So I do what I can and I need a lot of assistance now, ie: someone to help me around the house, someone to go to the store with me, the handicap sticker, the little scooters at the big stores.  My life has totally went from extremely independent to a mess.  But I dont let that stop me.  I keep trying.  I keep fighting.  I do what I can.  I mean what other choice do I have?   

Keep walking, keep doing low impact excercise.  water exercise is a good one.  Massages.  Keep trying what you can.  If your doc ordered you to take Vit D and calcium, please do so.  

Now my ligaments around my knees hurt so many days.  I love the days they dont.  heat and ice are your friends.  

Many of us have these issues.  

Hugs and prayers,

Annie

• wallis2
    edited June 2019 #5
    Options
    Apaugh said:

It breaks my heart...there is no reversal.

It is the SE of cancer treatment. 

At the beginning of my journey the doc ordered a bone density test.   Insurance only pays for one every 2 yrs.  It is not painful at all.  You lay on a table and a scanner goes over you and that is it.  Takes about 5 min. for the test.  2 yrs. later he ordered another one and I already knew my bones were weaker.  The results were damage to the spine.  Now mind you, years ago I had broke my back in one place.   so that did not help, however that was repaired years prior to my cancer.  But now it feels like my whole back is broken.  My spine cannot efficiantly hold up my body.  So I do what I can and I need a lot of assistance now, ie: someone to help me around the house, someone to go to the store with me, the handicap sticker, the little scooters at the big stores.  My life has totally went from extremely independent to a mess.  But I dont let that stop me.  I keep trying.  I keep fighting.  I do what I can.  I mean what other choice do I have?   

Keep walking, keep doing low impact excercise.  water exercise is a good one.  Massages.  Keep trying what you can.  If your doc ordered you to take Vit D and calcium, please do so.  

Now my ligaments around my knees hurt so many days.  I love the days they dont.  heat and ice are your friends.  

Many of us have these issues.  

Hugs and prayers,

Annie

It's nice to talk to you

Yeah I am going to continue to walk, excercise everyday. My aunt took the 5 year pill and shrunk, but she is older.  I am not saying that is why, but I feel like she has age on her and maybe that is why it happened(don't think that is why)  Anyway she finished last year and I am just beginning.  I am currently taking vitamin D, drinking milk, and food with calcium, etc.  I am going to contact my doctor to refer me to a physical therapist because after radiation I feel this band around my chest and it's doesn't feel comfortable.  I am a bus driver prior to having a part-time job and my arms, legs, back, and shoulders started hurting and I had to quit the part-time job.  I wonder if you can get on temporary disability for a while because if I have to go thru this for 5 years, I won't be able to work.   

• Apaugh
    Options
    be kind to yourself..

I had prior back problems and then I ended up, due to this and prior cancer related family member journeys getting PTSD.  It took me two years but I am now on full disability.  I know I can never work again due to the crushing back pain and my anxiety.  and now my  new cancer.    

We keep on fighting, we keep on trying.  Dont ever give up!

Hugs and prayers,

Annie