Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, Gleason 6

2»

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    Other reasons for a steep increase of the PSA

S,

PSA does not depend only on cancer activity to increase. Massaging the gland would lead to steep increases too. Sex, masturbation or riding a horse or a tractor or a bike before drawing blood for the test could influence the levels of PSA serum.

Surely you doing well in checking with your doctor but you should consider repeating the PSA test to discard any laboratory error too.

Hope for the best.

VG

• Flyer83948
    Flyer83948 Member Posts: 34
    sross111 said:

Gleason 6

Flyer -

You're in exactly the same situation as me.  Last fall I had a PSA level of 4.7, and had a biopsy done and came back with a Gleason score of 6.  Two different docs said to do "active survalience" which bascially is seeing the doc every six months and biopsy as needed.  Well I just had my PSA checked again and it jumped to 19.  I'm anxious about this and am seeing my doc next week.  

@sross111

Sorry to hear that and hope things turn out well. Don't beat up on yourself on your decision, though. We're all in the same boat of trying to make the best decisions possible based on imperfect diagnostic information and probability estimates. Without knowing all the details, going with active surveillance for a case involving a PSA of 4.7 and a Gleason score of 6 doesn't sound like an unreasonable course of action according to my understanding.