Ostomy Supplies

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I'm sure this has been brought up before but here I go. I've used the same ostomy supplies and brand for the over five years I've had the illeostomy. I've had very few problems with just the occasional accident or blowout. I'd go almost a year beteween these incidents. Lately, for the last couple of months it's hit or miss. They'll last as long as they used to or they'll last less than a day. I've had perios where I've gone through 3 in 3 days and thenseveral in a row that last over a week.

Nothing has changed in my output and the bags themselves seem stickier than they used to be. I haven't changed how I do a bag change and have been holding my hand over it while lying down for longer periods of time right after a change in an attempt tp make them stick better and last longer.

Is it possible that my skin or body chemistry has changed in some way? And now they're not longer appropriate for me?

I'm going to see my ostomy nurse next week and discuss this. 

There is one change I have made, though. I used to use baby wipes to clean the area. My husband bought some pre-moistened butt wipes for adults and I've been using those instead. I wonder if such a small change could make that much of a difference. They say not to use baby wipes, just water, but it was never an issue before.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions. I'm off to go change it right now and suddenly remembered the new wipes. My ostomy nurse suggested using cheap j cloth type wipes with just water. I'm going to try that right now.

Thanks!

Jan

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited April 2019 #2
    Wipes

Make sure the wipes have no oil in them and you might want to try going back to the old wipes just to see if it makes a difference.  Do you use any type of paste?  The glue usually never stuck with me and I'd always have to add the paste.

Kim

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

Wipes

Make sure the wipes have no oil in them and you might want to try going back to the old wipes just to see if it makes a difference.  Do you use any type of paste?  The glue usually never stuck with me and I'd always have to add the paste.

Kim

Interesting! The only tme I

Interesting! The only tme I've had paste was when it was changed in the hospital by nursing staff and I felt like it made it less sticky. I used water only last night and am only going to use that for a while. A couple of nights ago I could hardly sleep because I felt like the new one I had on was loosening. I get a tickly, slightly irritated feeling. But there was no indication that it was actually loose or going to leak. The worry of it kept me up half the night once I finally went to sleep after hours of worrying. Most of the time it doesn't bother me at all other than when it filles up quickly and I'm not close to a bathroom. But worrying about it leaking has become a real concern.

Hopefully that's all it was. It think it's weird for it to cause problems after being good for years.

Thanks!

Jan

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Interesting! The only tme I

Interesting! The only tme I've had paste was when it was changed in the hospital by nursing staff and I felt like it made it less sticky. I used water only last night and am only going to use that for a while. A couple of nights ago I could hardly sleep because I felt like the new one I had on was loosening. I get a tickly, slightly irritated feeling. But there was no indication that it was actually loose or going to leak. The worry of it kept me up half the night once I finally went to sleep after hours of worrying. Most of the time it doesn't bother me at all other than when it filles up quickly and I'm not close to a bathroom. But worrying about it leaking has become a real concern.

Hopefully that's all it was. It think it's weird for it to cause problems after being good for years.

Thanks!

Jan

Ugggg

I'd have blow outs in the middle of the night until using the paste and my dear husband would get up in the middle of the night and help me change my sheets, and help me clean up and help me change my appliance.  It took me months before finding the one product and accessories that worked for me.  It's terrible when something like that keeps you awake.  Now with my reveral I'm still having accidents in the middle of the night but wear a diaper a lot of the times (doesn't always help).  Hope you can figure out how to get you back to not worrying about it coming off.

Kim