not To just focus on the

not To just focus on the loacalized tumor 

• Salsify
    Salsify Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

swood9008....

Hi,

I'm so sorry your mom is dealing with all this and I know how emotionally exhausting this can be on top of all else! If I'm understanding correctly her original diagnosis was in 2015, then a local (same area) recurrance in 2017, and now (2019) a tumor on the vaginal wall. Treatment varies depending on location as well as the make-up of the cancer cell.

I was initially dx with anal cancer stage 3b in 2011. In 2012 dx with breast cancer. In 2015 anal cancer metastasis to my lung (so still the anal cancer cell but it had moved to my lung) and last fall in 2018 another anal cancer metastasis to a different area near the lung called the hilum. Each of my treatments were different yet some included parts of the same. While my dodctors were quite convinced that my most recent recurrance was anal cancer (in the hilum) I did request a biopsy to be sure. The treatment was radiation so may not have mattered but I wanted to know if it was anal, breast, or a 3rd primary cancer. 

I was scanned as follow-up last week and for now at least...no new areas of concern! Yay!! I feel great and surely pray that your mom will tackle this and be saying the same soon! I too have an ostomy as a result of my first treatment so we have that in common as well.

Its a vicious cycle, cancer and its treatment. When our immune system is run down we become even more susceptible to all sorts of things. My initial tumor in 2011 was not tested for HPV but the 2 lung area recurrances were and they were positive for such. This is a tricky virus and still being studied in depth.

In your moms case, I am curious if the doctor believes it to be anal cancer or a secondary cancer and what treatment is recommended. I think that many things are a factor in how fast and how well we recover and some of what works is unique to each person. You have every right to be positive and assume that your mom has health in her future so don't let your mind get the best of you with anger and worry. I am currently planning a fun family beach vacation later this summer, and I've had days when I couldn't plan on eating the next meal, and everything in between...I will plan also to keep you both in my prayers for healing.

Please keep us posted as you learn more and know that we will be here to get through this with you. 

katheryn

those lung mets

If you get a chance, I am very curious about how the lungs mets were found, diagnosed, and treatted... I posted a new thread about my worries that I might be dealing with that. I am sorry you have had the experience that I am asking about, but I thank you for being on this site.

When the doctor is doing an anoscopy, I always close my eyes and picture lying on the sand by the ocean (or gulf!) and listening to the waves.

Hope your family beach vacation is the best!

sally