Swimming with Ostomy bag

kyolcu
kyolcu Member Posts: 111

Hi Friends,

I will have a little vacation in Cancun in May. I wonder if anybody has suggestions that had a good swim suits to cover Ostomy bag. I am nervous and cover Ostomy bag completely. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Thanks

Kadir

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Bathing Suit

I'm going to Arizona in a few weeks and will be in pools. I have a swimming suit that's like a loose, strappy t-shirt on top that goes down over the bottoms which are like shorts. No way I'd show off my ostomy bag and creepy scars from surgery. I hope it will work. I got it at Costco last year.

Have fun in Cancun!!

Jan

• kyolcu
    JanJan63 said:

Bathing Suit

I'm going to Arizona in a few weeks and will be in pools. I have a swimming suit that's like a loose, strappy t-shirt on top that goes down over the bottoms which are like shorts. No way I'd show off my ostomy bag and creepy scars from surgery. I hope it will work. I got it at Costco last year.

Have fun in Cancun!!

Jan

Swimming suit

2019-03-29

Hi Jan,

Yours is good to cover for females. Jan, I hope you will have nice vacatio. I hope somebody else is going to give information for male as well.

Thanks

Kadir

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    kyolcu said:

Swimming suit

2019-03-29

Hi Jan,

Yours is good to cover for females. Jan, I hope you will have nice vacatio. I hope somebody else is going to give information for male as well.

Thanks

Kadir

Oh, I'm so sorry! I just

Oh, I'm so sorry! I just assumed it was for a woman. I think if I were a man I'd get an ostomy cover and use that with those baggy swim trunks.Or even wear a tank top with baggy swim trunks.

Jan

• kyolcu

You could try

A swim shirt, it’s a T-shirt made of bathing suit material. A lot of times people use them to help with sun exposure, kids wear them a lot too. My husband does not have a colostomy but tons of wicked scars from surgeries and if he is well we are going to Florida and he needs one, he would scare people. Have a great trip!

Thank you

Thank you all for nice input.

Jan, it is okay no problem. 

Best

Kadir

• flutemon
    flutemon Member Posts: 41 Member
    I picked up a nice "rash

I picked up a nice "rash guard" type swim shirt while snorkeling in the Keys last summer.  My grandkids alll wear them, too, when they swim as sun protection.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited March 2019 #7
    kyolcu said:

Swimming suit

2019-03-29

Hi Jan,

Thanks

Kadir

Men's swimsuits

Men's swimsuits used to have tops.  There were some old photos of my father wearing one in the 30's.  I used to be a lifeguard and many men wear a t-shirt for avoiding sun exposure, modesty, scars or many other reasons.  You would not stand out at all.  Probably get a synthetic fabric in a dark color, as white becomes see-through and cotton tends to stretch.

http://www.libaifoundation.org/old-fashioned-swimsuit-mens/

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    You could try

A swim shirt, it’s a T-shirt made of bathing suit material. A lot of times people use them to help with sun exposure, kids wear them a lot too. My husband does not have a colostomy but tons of wicked scars from surgeries and if he is well we are going to Florida and he needs one, he would scare people. Have a great trip!

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Hi I don't use a cover.  I

Hi I don't use a cover.  I wear swim shorts with a tight sunblock shirt that tucks nicely into the shorts.  I would suggest since you are male pinning a tank top to the top of a pair of bathing shorts.  I use Johnson and Johnson's waterproof tape to tape everything down.  Never had a problem, works like a charm.  I tape the wafer down and the bag down.  I did have an incident once where I realized the shirt went up and the bag was exposed as I was getting out of the ocean, no one noticed but me and I tucked it back in.  The thing about life is that we're all having fun in our own worlds so that we don't generally notice someone else's uncomfortable moment until they bring it up.  I mean how many times have you gone to the beach and a woman loses her top.  It's embarrassing but she never sees those people again.

A lot of guys are also starting to wear sunblock bathing suits like this....https://www.google.com/search?q=one+piece+male+bathing+suit&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS819US819&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL15qv3bnhAhVknuAKHSF9AswQ_AUIngMoAQ&biw=1280&bih=881#imgrc=NzONqVw5-z8cnM:   although in cancun that may be a bit much.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    edited May 2019 #10

Men's swimsuits

Men's swimsuits used to have tops.  There were some old photos of my father wearing one in the 30's.  I used to be a lifeguard and many men wear a t-shirt for avoiding sun exposure, modesty, scars or many other reasons.  You would not stand out at all.  Probably get a synthetic fabric in a dark color, as white becomes see-through and cotton tends to stretch.

http://www.libaifoundation.org/old-fashioned-swimsuit-mens/

lol this is awesome.  By the

lol this is awesome.  By the way, these are back in style only skin tight for sun protection.