Visited GP today some graphic detail

Options
Ajmrok
Ajmrok Member Posts: 4

Hello, I visited a GP today because of itching around the anus. I am a 33 year old male and had been experiencing itching around the periphery of the anus and itching with what appeared to be a wart  in an area a cm or 2 away from the anus.  With the wart away from the anus there is ocassional light bleeding (2 or 3 specks or a small smear on the toilet paper particularly with loose or harder stools). I was examined and samples were taken to be looked at. One was from the wart away from the anus and another from just inside. He said the morphology was similar in both warts. I think my mistake might have been not asking if that meant they were being biopsied or what he meant by being looked at. He did say in his opinion they did not look cancerous but it was always good to check. There didn't seem to be any swollen lymph nodes or anything else out of the ordinary.

I don't practice anal sex and haven't had sexual contact for a number of years but had been treated for anal warts about 7 years ago. The warts went away after some in office treatment (acid) and imiquimod treatment for several weeks and I didn't really feel anything like itching back then until I felt discomfort and felt little lumps all around which was what prompted me to visit a doctor back in 2011.

It will be 4-6 days for the results to come back  and with the weekend I can probably expect to get results Thursday/Friday of next week. I think it's normal for minds to wander but I'd like to be proactive and ask for any advice anyone may have? I do suffer from depression and anxiety and often dealing with physical health issues paired with mental health issues isn't easy.  Tje GP I saw today was not my.regular GP as my regular is booked weeks in advance. I know many people have posted on here with concerns about HPV but I haven't seen a post where having warts equated anal cancer but certain HPV can lead to anal cancer.  Welcoming any thoughts and spreading well wishes for survivors and those undergoing treatment. We lost my grandmother to colorectal cancer so it is something always on my family's.mind.

Comments

• ACinNC
    ACinNC Member Posts: 46
    Options
    ajmrok

Welcome to the board.

You have anal warts therefore you have had the HPV virus.  That in itself puts you at higher risk of developing anal cancer but does mean you have it.  It does mean you will have to be vigilant in having regular checkups. You are so young but you at least have an awareness now of the possibility of anal cancer related to HPV. Even though your age would not put you in need of a colonoscopy, I think consulting with a gastroenterologist would be wise.  The GI doc could scope just your anus to look for any dysplasia in the anus because you won't necessarily see signs of anal cancer externally although in your case with the warts it might be the first sign. Regular monitoring would help you catch anal cancer early and it is so much more easily treated when caught early. At the very least have your GP give you a digital exam to feel for anything that might be early signs.

Even though you have abstained from sex for years, the virus can still be in your system and cause the cellular changes that lead to cancer later on. I'm only guessing but the fact that you had warts years ago and now have them again suggests you still carry the virus. So treat yourself as a high risk person in getting regular checkups.  That is assuming your biopsy comes back as no cancer which I hope it does.

I hope you come back on this board and let us know how your tests turn out.  Wishing you well,

AC

• feckcancer
    feckcancer Member Posts: 189 Member
    edited March 2019 #3
    Options
    there are lots of types of

there are lots of types of HPV viruses in the HPV family. the ones that give you cancer are not the ones that give you warts but if you have had warts there is a very high chance you have been exposed to the ones that give you cancer. it is a good idea to have the HPV vaccine to protect you anyway & there is some school of thought that the vaccine can protect you even if you have already got the HPV virus.   the HPV virus can stay in your system for years doing nothing. doctors think that one of the ways the  HPV virus causes cancer is by surpressing your immune system so the cancer can grow unchecked until it is found. if your immune system is healthy it will kill the virus in the cells before it turns into cancer so it is very important to eat correctly to build up your immune system if you have been exposed to warts/HPV. there are also doctors looking into a link between cancer and depression. does the depression cause cancer or does the cancer cause depression? whatever  but please get help for your depression and try to keep your eating of red meat to very little as this also contributes to colorectal cancer especially if it runs in your family. if you have anal cancer it is a good news bad news kind of thing. bad news you have got cancer. good news it's highly curable, especially if caught early & before it spreads and even at a later stage it still can be cured.but why go through this if you don't have to !!! Also if you smoke cigarettes give up as this contributes to anal cancer as highly as warts and if you do have cancer smoking cigarettes makes the chemo & radiation not work as efficiently plus you will have difficulty healing plus higher chance of cancer coming back. i had vaginal warts 25 years before i had anal cancer plus i smoked 2 packets cigs a day for 30 years and had depression for 5 years . 3 years later no depression no cancer no cigarettes. got a 2nd chance. to many people don't and it's to late. regard this time as a wake up call & change your life before it's to late. BYW some doctors think the treatment for anal cancer might also kill the HPV virus. also keep a close eye on your mouth an neck as this virus can also contribute to cancers there but the earlier you find them the higher the chance of successful treatment. whatever happens good luck.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited March 2019 #4
    Options
    Ajmrok

I'm sure waiting for the results is quite agonizing, but try not to worry.  I hope you get the all clear and these warts turn out to be benign.  However, if you get unfortunate news that they are pre-cancerous or cancerous, make sure you get in with a doctor who has experience in treating this disease.  I am sending all good thoughts your way and hope you do not have to go through cancer treatment.

• Ajmrok
    edited March 2019 #5
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes. I'll post as soon as I find out something.

• Ajmrok
    edited April 2019 #6
    Options
    Lab Results in
    The lab results came in no presence of type 6,7, 16, 18, 45PV mRNA E6/E7,RECTAL W/ RFL GENOTYPES,16,18/45
    HPV mRNA E6/E7, RECTAL

NOT DETECTED
    TXC

REFERENCE RANGE: NOT DETECTED
  • Ajmrok
    Options
    I am relieve but part of me

I am relieve but part of me has a hard time believing it. I really will need to be proactive and discuss care movig forward. Does anyone have any advice? I know he will talk to me more about this when I see him.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited April 2019 #8
    Options
    Ajmrok

I'm glad you got good news!  Just continue to be your own health advocate and inform your doctor of any changes.  I wish you good health always!