Off Topic - Your Screen Name

Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

Just to lighten things up and not talk about anything cancer, how did you get your screen name.  Some are your names and others have a meaning. 

Mine was my Grandmother's name and joining on another site (game site) it told me that name Annabelle was taken so my age was 41 at the time so figured I'd add the 41 to it but Annabelle41 was taken to so it suggested 41415 so when joining this group thought yup I'll use my Grandmother's screen name.  I've been here since under the same name.

Hope others chime in.  It would be good to know why you came up with your name.

Kim

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Funny story

Mine is kind of a funny story. My name is Janice and I hate, hate, hate the name. Friends and family always called me Jan. My close friend Debbie called me Jan Jan almost from day one. After we'd been friends for a couple of years I was at a get together with a bunch of her other friends and one asked if it bothered me that she'd named me after a dog. The room went silent. For about a dozen women all togther that's pretty impressive and I had no idea everyone heard her. Turns out they all knew but me that Debbie used to have a dog named Jan Jan. To this day I have no idea why the dog was named that. 

Anyway, the room went silent and everyone looked at me and I looked at Debbie. Suddenly she blurted out "but I loved that dog!" For a few years that was our running joke. Now it seems like anyone who knows me well calls me that, even my husband. I should add that she's the one that introduced us. 

I had a nickname when I was a kid and I might start using that one if I sign up for anything new. It was Pinky. I had a pink leather jacket that I wore until I couldn't fit into it anymore. So the kids in the neighborhood called me Pinky. And white go-go boots with tassels but I'm really aging myself now.

Jan

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    An Event...

I completed the U.S. Army Ranger and Airborne training during the summer of 1972.  Obviously, those were memorable events but they also make for easy to remember user names. 

This is a great thread Kim.  Mental diversion and levity is good psychological first aid.

Jim

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Kazenmax

My name is Kathleen. In my late 20s and early 30s I lived in Utah for six years and had a wonderful group of girlfriends that did everything together. My Dad phone one day and asked for Cass (his nickname for me) and for some reason they decided to call me Kaz and to this day thats what they call me. I was a single parent for about 10 years. My son’s last name is Maxfield so the first time that I needed a username, I put it together. Kaz and Max, Kazenmax.

k

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Love it!

Great thread, Kim. 

I arrived in America in 1992, after my husband was riffed from the Air Force. I confess, England was my home, and I had no idea moving to a foreign land would be so traumatic, but oh, i was so very, very homesick. 

I have always been as proud to be English as American's are of being American, and in this small rural Nevada town, I sand out like a sore thumb. Plus, I have never lost my accent, though I do use a few words now, like candy and ...... OK, one word. 

So, when computers became all the rage, and I got an email addy, I decided I would slightly change John Wayne's movie Trugrit to Trubirt.   Now I use it for whatever takes my fancy. 

I drive a Mini Cooper (of course) and tried to get it as my personalized state plate, but alas, someone in Las Vegas has it. 

I may even have it on my headstone after my passing. 

Tru

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited March 2019 #6
    I have lived in Manhattan for

I have lived in Manhattan for almost 30 years,  but I was raised in a town of less than 1000 people named Abita springs but that everyone calls Abita 

• Alice514
    Alice514 Member Posts: 21
    Alice

My screen name is after Alice in Wonderland. Because it's always been one of my favorite Disney movies. And I work in a library, so it's literary. My actual name is Amy.

• Pamcakes
    Pamcakes Member Posts: 112 Member
    My real name is Summer.

My real name is Summer.

pamcakes is what my husband calls my mom. Her name is Pam. Not sure why I used Pamcakes, LOl!

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited March 2019 #9
    Buddy

I am big on privacy, so I try not to use my real name for any purpose on the internet.  Buddy was my dog and my best friend. I use his name a lot for magazine subscriptions, internet addresses, frequent shopper clubs and the like.  I figured the name "Buddy" would already be taken, so I added the inert word "Sandia," (Spanish for watermelon, which I eat almost every lunch) and voila!

• flutemon
    flutemon Member Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2019 #10
    My claim to fame is being a

My claim to fame is being a professional itinerate flute player. It has taken me around the USA and abroad.  Pretty much the big part of my identity. In the 90s there was a cartoon that my youngest watched called "Digimon".  My wife thought it would be fun to create our own digimon and name it "Flutemon".  It ended up being catchy enough for that new fangled thing called e-mail.  

• feckcancer
    feckcancer Member Posts: 189 Member
    pretty self explanatory

pretty self explanatory really. had to change an u to an e because good manners. Cool

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Great stories! Mine's too

Great stories! Mine's too easy, hometown and firstname.............................................................Dave

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    edited March 2019 #13
    First thing the doctors ask

Name and date of birth....Ron50.

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    What I see out of my window

A gorgeous little mountain and lots of big sky. My real name is Erin.

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member

Buddy

I am big on privacy, so I try not to use my real name for any purpose on the internet.  Buddy was my dog and my best friend. I use his name a lot for magazine subscriptions, internet addresses, frequent shopper clubs and the like.  I figured the name "Buddy" would already be taken, so I added the inert word "Sandia," (Spanish for watermelon, which I eat almost every lunch) and voila!

Buddy

was a beautiful boy!

• Annabelle41415
    JanJan63 said:

Funny story

Mine is kind of a funny story. My name is Janice and I hate, hate, hate the name. Friends and family always called me Jan. My close friend Debbie called me Jan Jan almost from day one. After we'd been friends for a couple of years I was at a get together with a bunch of her other friends and one asked if it bothered me that she'd named me after a dog. The room went silent. For about a dozen women all togther that's pretty impressive and I had no idea everyone heard her. Turns out they all knew but me that Debbie used to have a dog named Jan Jan. To this day I have no idea why the dog was named that. 

Anyway, the room went silent and everyone looked at me and I looked at Debbie. Suddenly she blurted out "but I loved that dog!" For a few years that was our running joke. Now it seems like anyone who knows me well calls me that, even my husband. I should add that she's the one that introduced us. 

I had a nickname when I was a kid and I might start using that one if I sign up for anything new. It was Pinky. I had a pink leather jacket that I wore until I couldn't fit into it anymore. So the kids in the neighborhood called me Pinky. And white go-go boots with tassels but I'm really aging myself now.

Jan

JanJan

That is so funny, especially having the dog called that after she already renamed you.  When you shared the story about Pinky it reminded me of Pinky Tuscadero from Happy Days.  You could fit that mold perfectly.  Love the picture I've got formed in my head LOL.

Thanks for sharing!  Kim

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    I guess mine

is pretty self explanatory 

I am boring lol but I loved this thread!!

• Annabelle41415

An Event...

I completed the U.S. Army Ranger and Airborne training during the summer of 1972.  Obviously, those were memorable events but they also make for easy to remember user names. 

This is a great thread Kim.  Mental diversion and levity is good psychological first aid.

Jim

Airborne

Thank you so much for your service.  It makes your name very appropriate.  Thanks!

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    Kazenmax said:

Kazenmax

My name is Kathleen. In my late 20s and early 30s I lived in Utah for six years and had a wonderful group of girlfriends that did everything together. My Dad phone one day and asked for Cass (his nickname for me) and for some reason they decided to call me Kaz and to this day thats what they call me. I was a single parent for about 10 years. My son’s last name is Maxfield so the first time that I needed a username, I put it together. Kaz and Max, Kazenmax.

k

Creative

Can't imagine how they got Kaz out of Kathleen but it's a cute nickname.  Creative combination.  Thank you.

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    Trubrit said:

Love it!

Great thread, Kim. 

I arrived in America in 1992, after my husband was riffed from the Air Force. I confess, England was my home, and I had no idea moving to a foreign land would be so traumatic, but oh, i was so very, very homesick. 

I have always been as proud to be English as American's are of being American, and in this small rural Nevada town, I sand out like a sore thumb. Plus, I have never lost my accent, though I do use a few words now, like candy and ...... OK, one word. 

So, when computers became all the rage, and I got an email addy, I decided I would slightly change John Wayne's movie Trugrit to Trubirt.   Now I use it for whatever takes my fancy. 

I drive a Mini Cooper (of course) and tried to get it as my personalized state plate, but alas, someone in Las Vegas has it. 

I may even have it on my headstone after my passing. 

Tru

Yup could figure that out

Yup could figure out that name right away and how wonderful we feel to have you here in America but I'm sure your true roots are back in England.  Thank your husband for his selfless service in the Air Force - he deserves so much credit and respect.

Personalized plates are awesome and keep checking for the plate you want as sometimes they expire from other people and you can claim it.  Also try another abbreviation, it just might be available.

Put it on your headstone - if you can't get a license plate you are sure to get a headstone and still get your "personalized" name on something that will last a long, long time Wink.

Kim

• 8colon8
    8colon8 Member Posts: 40 Member
    8 is the number of children

8 is the number of children we have. 8 is also a lucky number for Chinese. Wrap it around colon for good result plus I wasn't sure how personal this board gets.  My wife's name is Stephanie and I am Patrick.