Special evaluations can help seniors cope with cancer care

LisaPizza
LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
edited February 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Comments

• damacau
    damacau Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2022 #2

One of the most critical cancer prevention methods among the elderly is the active social life of the elderly. When a person retires, everyone often forgets about him and does not think that he needs communication like any other person. That's why there is now so many entertainment for seniors programs developed by non-profit organizations and volunteers. These programs allow older adults to feel comfortable and strive to live, which means they help prevent many diseases.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

I don't remember seeing this article when it was first posted so I'm glad the thread popped up again. Doing these types of tests prior to cancer treatment seems reasonable to me. But even if a doctor is willing to perform assessment tests before cancer treatment, I suspect that some will refuse to take them, regardless of whether it would help them decide on treatment or not.

My PCP has done the annual cognitive assessment and general assessment that Medicare covers once I started Medicare a couple of years ago. I'm fine with being tested since I'd rather know if I'm experiencing some sort of decline and can prepare accordingly. But I have family members who absolutely refuse to have these tests done. One has always been the "bury her head in the sand" type of person so that's not surprising, but I've been perplexed by the refusal of the other who is normally quite proactive about things.

So the usefulness of the cancer pre-treatment assessment tests will depend upon a person's willingness to take them. And I'm sure some people would choose to go ahead with treatment, even if the tests didn't support that path. But I think it's important to have the option of testing, regardless.

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member

An interesting article. TY

My age is 71. My Primary gives me cognitive tests yearly per Medicare protocol. I am asked to walk across the room, draw a clock face with a particular time, recite given numbers backwards and remember 5 words throughout a 20 minute conversation. I understand the purpose but find them condescending...but I am passing them. I honestly don't know how I would have felt if my oncologist had suggested such a test prior to treatment. My oncologist is brilliant and 75.

However, I can realize the negative impact cancer treatment could have upon an elderly patient that is not fully understanding the consequences that could occur from that treatment. I am just not sure these tests can discern that capacity for understanding or negate the profound desire to live.