3rd month of 6 mo. life expect

Options
2»

Comments

• Nazareth
    Nazareth Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Beldoro- sorry for your

Beldoro- sorry for your trials- As a saved person, i have the Lord to lean on through my trials- and it's been a huge help- as liek you say- sometimes we just aren't in control when we'd certainlyl ike to be- it's not easy accepting that fact- Especially when one goes from healthy to real sick quickly- I do find readign the word of God to be a comfort- especially the pslams- but as for your chronic Diarrhea, one hting you might try if your docs think it woudl be ok, and if you can tolerate it- woudl be metamucil- I have an iliostomy, and with it i have chronic D too- and when i was on chemo- the D got really bad- I had to keep takign the metamucil to slow it down- What it does is it binds with hte water in the digestive tract, and helps slidify it with the waste- making it more formed, slowing it down some- I took all kinds of anti-diarrheal meds like lomotil, loperamide (as many as 12 per day), peptol, kaopectate, etc- but none helped or even slightly slowed the D down- only the metamucil did after soemone mentioned it and how it worked- I take 2 heaping tablespoons 3 times a day- havign an iliostomy- io go constantly- upwards off 14 trimes a day or so- the metamucil reduces that to about 9-10, not much imoprovement there- but the thing it does do is solidify the contents just enough that it's not an 'explosive diarrhea' - it's more gradual-

Well, might be worth a try- I'd try 2 heaping spoonfuls one then twice if i tolerate it well, then 3 times- but do watch for constipation as i guess it can affect soem that way- but with an ilio- I never have constipation- ever- so i don't have to worry abotu the metamucil causign that- folsk with all their digestive tract though may want ot experiement with amounts- just to avoid constipation

• Beldoro55
    Beldoro55 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Nazareth said:

Beldoro- sorry for your

Beldoro- sorry for your trials- As a saved person, i have the Lord to lean on through my trials- and it's been a huge help- as liek you say- sometimes we just aren't in control when we'd certainlyl ike to be- it's not easy accepting that fact- Especially when one goes from healthy to real sick quickly- I do find readign the word of God to be a comfort- especially the pslams- but as for your chronic Diarrhea, one hting you might try if your docs think it woudl be ok, and if you can tolerate it- woudl be metamucil- I have an iliostomy, and with it i have chronic D too- and when i was on chemo- the D got really bad- I had to keep takign the metamucil to slow it down- What it does is it binds with hte water in the digestive tract, and helps slidify it with the waste- making it more formed, slowing it down some- I took all kinds of anti-diarrheal meds like lomotil, loperamide (as many as 12 per day), peptol, kaopectate, etc- but none helped or even slightly slowed the D down- only the metamucil did after soemone mentioned it and how it worked- I take 2 heaping tablespoons 3 times a day- havign an iliostomy- io go constantly- upwards off 14 trimes a day or so- the metamucil reduces that to about 9-10, not much imoprovement there- but the thing it does do is solidify the contents just enough that it's not an 'explosive diarrhea' - it's more gradual-

Well, might be worth a try- I'd try 2 heaping spoonfuls one then twice if i tolerate it well, then 3 times- but do watch for constipation as i guess it can affect soem that way- but with an ilio- I never have constipation- ever- so i don't have to worry abotu the metamucil causign that- folsk with all their digestive tract though may want ot experiement with amounts- just to avoid constipation

Thanks for the recommendation

Nazareth,

Thank you for your words of support and shariing your experience with Metamucil. I had D before my radiation treatment but it got worse after the treatment. My oncologists didn't want to put me on strong anti-diahrrea meds because they worried about the blockage my tumors had already created so they just put me on immodium and hospice concurred. While it has slowed the D somewhat, I'm still having to change my disposible underwear every half hour or so. I'll ask my hospice nurse about the metamucil when I see her tomorrow. Again, many thanks for letting me know your experience.