For All Those With Financial Hardships & Who Have Cancer (Recap of Lost Posts, Topic Created by linm

Options
cmb
cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
edited February 2019 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

This recap includes posts that were lost during CSN's data outage from 10/29/18 to 1/30/19.

linmk

Dec 28, 2018 - 10:22 am

I'm thinking of you, federal workers and GM employess and many others who are underempolyed and/or unemployed, you are in my thoughts. I hope that your cancers and financial situations improve for the better soon.

derMaus

Dec 28, 2018 - 5:59 pm

Thank you for the kind

Thank you for the kind thought, linmk. Hope you are feeling well and the pain is under control or gone entirely.  

NoTimeForCancer

Dec 29, 2018 - 8:09 am

Good to hear from you, linmk.

Good to hear from you, linmk. 

EZLiving66

Dec 29, 2018 - 10:52 am

I think of this often and

I think of this often and realize how lucky I was that we owned our own business and I could do the bookwork from home. It breaks my heart to hear about people who have to drag themselves to work when they are suffering to earn a living or keep their insurance. A friend of mine died of breast cancer on the 18th of this month and although the cancer had gone to her brain and she was dizzy and losing her sight she still tried to work because of financial hardship. We forget that even if you're granted disability, there is a waiting period. I just read about how many people die while waiting to be approved. It's a national disgrace!!

A friend of our daughter's started a Go Fund Me page for her father. He has tongue cancer and they've had to remove part of his tongue and jaw bone. He can't eat, he's in terrible pain and has lost over 80 pounds. He can't work and they're going to lose their house. His wife is also not doing well - she's a breast cancer survivor but has problems with side effects.  Again, I am soooo lucky but so many are not!

Good to see you LINMK!!  I hope you're doing better!

Love,

Eldri

Abbycat2

Dec 29, 2018 - 7:23 pm

Eldri, you really are lucky!

I traveled to Indianapolis recently to celebrate a friend‘s 60th birthday. Her husband had a surprise birthday party for her and it was very nice. She learned in August, 2018, that she has ALS, or Lou Gahrig’s Disease.  Everything I went through with my cancer- surgery and 6 rounds of Taclitaxel and Carboplatin, which caused neuropathy in my feet, pales in comparison to what she is dealing with. She will be having surgery next week to have a gastric feeding tube inserted before her capacity to swallow gets much worse. There are horrible diseases out there and I am grateful that my cancer was treated successfully and I am not facing the insidious and complete inability to move voluntary muscles, including eating, speaking, swallowing and breathing. I don’t take each day for granted regardless of what life has in store for me!  Wishing each of you and your families the very best for 2019.

Hugs, 

Cathy

cmb

Dec 30, 2018 - 12:58 pm

Thankfulness thoughts

I breathe a sigh of relief every year when my long-term, individual health insurance plan is renewed. And, like Eldri, I'm glad that I do the kind of work that allowed me to work around the treatments and continues to pay for the health insurance policy. I can't imagine the stress and hardship of those who struggle to make ends meet financially while dealing with cancer.

But while I haven't had to worry about paying for care (at least so far), I'm not someone who is "thankful" to have cancer as the impetus to either improve my lifestyle or my personal characteristics, as some writers of cancer books and blogs have postulated. Cancer really sucks. 

But I do share Cathy's feeling of thankfulness that I have cancer, not one of the other dread diseases like ALS that her friend now has. And while this may sound peculiar, I'm also relieved that I have uterine cancer, not another type like brain cancer, where the treatment (and symptoms) seem truly horrifying to me, or one of the blood cancers where someone can be hospitalized for weeks or months for treatment.

I did read many past posts before I joined the board earlier this year. And while I was deeply saddened to read when some of the most prolific and poignant posters passed away, I've taken comfort that most of them were cognizant and able to stay involved with their family and friends right to the end. Whether my remaining time is long or short, I hope that I'll be the same.

janaes

Dec 31, 2018 - 12:01 am

That story of your daughters

That story of your daughters friends family is so sad. I had some finacial worries during treatment. I ended up not working about 3 months because it was too much. At the same time i was thankful my dad was ablevto help me out. I also had insurance worries. There were times i didnt know if i would have insurance. Thankfully it all worked for me and was able to maintain insurance. 

Reading that story helps me appreciate what i had even though it wasnt the greatest. It can always be worse i suppose. 

Armywife

Jan 05, 2019 - 6:15 pm

Linmk

Thank you for your kind words and for thinking of others.  How are you and how's your pain?  I, too, am thankful for so much!