IP Chemo (Recap of Lost Posts, Topic Created by LadyMox on Nov 15, 2018)

cmb
cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
edited February 2019 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

This recap includes posts that were lost during CSN's data outage from 10/29/18 to 1/30/19.

LadyMox

Nov 15, 2018 - 10:12 am

I'm considering since my Endrometral cancer is mainly in my now overswollen ovary in my pelvis to take a page from ovarian cancer and discuss the idea of IP Chemo with my doctor in hopes it might slow it down or by a miracle stop the cancer. 

Anyone else have it done? 

derMaus

Nov 15, 2018 - 11:22 am

I know someone with ovarian

I know someone with ovarian cancer who's had it done. Your idea makes perfect sense to me.

zsazsa1

Nov 15, 2018 - 3:16 pm

Yes, I discussed this with my

Yes, I discussed this with my gyn/onc surgeon when I was first diagnosed.  She wasn't at all keen on the idea, but I am afraid that it was a one size fits all philosophy.  In your case, it does sound like a good idea.  Bring it up with your doctors right away.  Is there a plan for surgery yet?  Usually with ovarian, they do a debulking surgery, and then IP chemo.

derMaus

Dec 09, 2018 - 4:45 pm

Heated IP Chemo

LadyMox, I saw this yesterday and thought of you.

https://wvumedicine.org/news/article/wvu-cancer-institute-surgical-oncologists-perform-new-treatment-for-abdominal-cancer/

NoTimeForCancer

Dec 09, 2018 - 5:08 pm

Interesting article.  Hope

Interesting article.  Hope you don't mind I add it so the ladies can just click on the link and not have to copy and paste.

https://wvumedicine.org/news/article/wvu-cancer-institute-surgical-oncologists-perform-new-treatment-for-abdominal-cancer/

derMaus

Dec 09, 2018 - 5:13 pm

Thank you! You're such a

Thank you! You're such a trooper, I appreciate it!

Candy546

Dec 09, 2018 - 11:13 pm

A Good Idea

I read that IP Chemotherapy is better than IV therapy alone and that for some reason the medical profession is not using it as much as they should.  It seems like a good idea to encourage the team that's working with you to give it consideration.  This is the article I read:  https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2015/ip-chemo  Its a few years old it seems, so maybe there's more up to date information out there.

evolo58

Dec 12, 2018 - 10:47 am

In all fairness

This article came out only a few years back, and perhaps doctors are indeed reluctant to do this because it could really do a number on patients, though I know it's often used for certain forms of cancer, such as primary peritoneal. It really needs more investigation before it becomes widespread. I'm finding out the hard way that it takes time for procedures other gyno-oncos use to become used more often by others, or to get an institution to finally OK a procedure.

Or insurance companies won't cover it.

Why do I have this nagging suspiscion it could be the second one? 

Soup52

Dec 12, 2018 - 8:25 am

Isn’t this the treatment our

Isn’t this the treatment our two former ladies had in Germany?

derMaus

Dec 12, 2018 - 1:40 pm

Yes it is. Good memory!

Yes it is. Good memory! Editgrl and Day Lady, our beloved sisters, had it done in Germany. It's actually been around for quite awhile and comes and goes out of fashion in the states. They do it at my hospital, although I never had it, and at some other hospitals in the region. I surmise one factor is the cost of the machinery needed to do it.

LisaPizza

Dec 12, 2018 - 7:02 pm

It does sound rough,

It does sound rough, requiring a pretty lengthy hospitalization to administer/recover. 

Northwoodsgirl

Dec 12, 2018 - 10:03 pm

I am not sure if your

I am not sure if your reference to “IP“ is referring to “intraperitoneal chemo”.

The below link is to an article from October 2018. It was an international survey of surgeons-oncologists.

It states that HIPEC - is standard of care for certain metastasis of colon, ovarian and some other cancers. It refers to the varying temperature of the solution and differing amounts of time for the procedure (30-120 minutes). Also the surgeon‘s volume or number of cases performed is a predictor of success ( surgeon should have done 50 or more over their career. )  Seems there is no actual consensus on the procedure thus it isn’t typically part of a practice guideline. I think they use FDA certified plasma pherisis machines to infuse the chemo into the abdomen and pull the chemo back out of the abdomen. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5952844/pdf/12957_2018_Article_1377.pdf