High dose brachythetapy (Recap of Lost Posts, Topic Created by Denise66 on Nov 07, 2018)

cmb
cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

This recap includes posts that were lost during CSN's data outage from 10/29/18 to 1/30/19.

Denise66

Nov 07, 2018 - 10:30 pm

I just finished my 3rd treatment of high dose brachytherapy.  I've been feeling a little off since my second treatment. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I feel lightheaded. During the day I just feel "off".  Like I'm in a brain fog. 

I was placed in surgical menopause from my hysterectomy 3 months ago.  

Has anyone had this experience from brachythetapy or just being placed in surgical menopause? 

Thank you so much. 

JMJJ3

Nov 08, 2018 - 1:03 pm

Brachytherap

Hi Denise66. Im so sorry you are going through this. I had my hysterectomy three months ago as well. (grade 1, stage 3 adenocarcinoma). I completed 6 rounds of lower dose internal brachytherapy 3 weeks ago. I started my brachytherapy at 6 weeks post op. I too felt a little off the day after each treatment. I was thinking it was due to the diazapan I was taking each time I had the treatment due to my lower back and hip injury that occured during my surgery. They believe it was due to the positioning we are in.  I also was put into surgical menopause as I was still having my period at the time of surgery. at my 3 week checkup I told my Oncologist that I wasnt having hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms and he said I probably wouldnt have many of them.  He said the symptoms usually start right away. I have been waking up lately once during the night really hot, sweating to the point I take my upper clothes off and fall back asleep. The other morning I came downstairs  to let my 2 dogs out and realized I had nothing on from waist up!. Thankfully it was 4:30 in the am and only my husband was up getting ready to leave for work. He was quite amused, he thought it was for some other reason ha ha. I haven't used the dialator yet, we have been having sex 3X a week, and it has been fine.The Doctor told us that Sex is a natural dialator. If we cant manage 3X a week, I will have to fill in the gap with a solo session. I have told my husband this is his job in my recovery - even if im not feeling up to it he needs to do whatever it takes to get me in the mood!! He has been good at this job lol.  Our only issue is finding a position that does hot hurt my hip as I am in PT right now for that issue. I am heading into my 4th week away from completing my traetments and I really am feeling good. I have been eating really well since my surgery august 6, im back to exercising ( its limited bc of my back/hip) , Im walking my dogs, and I try to find more time for myself. I feel like we are on similar timelines, you will begin to feel more like yourself every day. Please keep me informed about how things are going. The amazing women on this board have so much information, encouragement and love to share and I am so grateful I have found them. 

LisaPizza

Nov 08, 2018 - 1:14 pm

My hot flashes definitely

My hot flashes definitely took a month-ish to really get going, I don't think it's always immediate. Good for hubby for stepping up to his duty, you gave me a good laugh.

NoTimeForCancer

Nov 08, 2018 - 7:32 pm

Denise66, I can't remember if

Denise66, I can't remember if you had chemo or not, but chemo brain is real and it takes time.  Can radiation affect you in the way you mentioned?  Anything is possible.  If you have questions give the doctors office a quick call and ask if they have heard of this.

JMJJ3, I know everyone is different on when they experience menopause, and like you, I did not have it right away.  It took a few months and I would wake up like I was onn fire and I would have to kick the covers off and then I would get a chill and I would pull them back.  

Glad you found us.