Update on my mom changed diagnosis (Recap of Lost Posts, Topic Created by Minimee33 on Nov 05, 2018)

Options
cmb
cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

This recap includes posts that were lost during CSN's data outage from 10/29/18 to 1/30/19.

Minimee33

Nov 05, 2018 - 12:55 pm

First I want to thank all of you ladies who replied to me back in August when I was so distraught and confused, it really helped a lot and I have been praying for all of you.  I wanted to give you all an update: So my mother was thought to have the 4b USPC, turns out she doesn't. She was primarily diagnosed after ascites was found via ultra sound then they did a biopsy came back uspc, other organs clear including ovaries as per ct scan omental taking present.  Doctor assumed the uspc had gone to omentum, plan was neoadjuvent route. She completed 3 chemos using ice on extremities (thank you army wife)no neuropathy and ascites dried up has not come back. First 2 chemos she handled really well but  had to change taxol to taxetere at #3  because she had a minor reaction to taxol. After 3 chemos she had surgery 2 weeks later. Optimal, she responded well to chemo, recovery was good, thank God. We had the follow up after surgery and to our surprise the doctor says the uspc is actually stage 1a confined to one polyp in uterus the main diagnisis is actually primary peritoneal stage 3c. For some reason the doctor seemed happier with that and  didn't seem as concerned about the uspc since it is such an early stage and all was removed. The focus seems to be the PPC now. So now she is to finish her 3 adjuvant chemos with Avastin added and made availabe due to her new diagnosis and then continue on Avastin for at least a year alone as a maintenance. PPC is a rare form of ovarian cancer, and is treated the same way. We all feel a bit better now that we know what is going on and we have a plan. I feel a bit relieved that at least  she has the option of Avastin after frontline and her doctor plans to do genomic testing to see if she is braca+ and talks of letrozol if she is . For now she feels good, and sometimes forgets that she is in treatment, I have to remind her to take it easy lol. I pray that her next treatments are as successful and that she is brought to ned and the Avastin keep her there for as long as possible. 

NoTimeForCancer

Nov 05, 2018 - 2:20 pm

Minimee33, thank you for

Minimee33, thank you for coming back and letting us know how everything is going.  I think you show how much can change and none of know what is going on until they have a chance to get in there an really see.  Glad to hear your mother is doing well and is on a plan.  

cmb

Nov 06, 2018 - 1:33 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear that your mother's treatment has been going well so far with only the one chemo hiccup and that her doctors are able to chart a clear path forward now that they have the pathology report. I must admit I'm not familiar with PPC, but if the doctors feel this is easier to treat than USPC than it certainly is good news.

There are a couple of other ladies on the board who are undergoing neoadjuvant treatment right now before their surgery and I'm sure that they'll find your mother's "better" than expected pathology post-surgery to be a hopeful sign for them as well.

ConnieSW

Nov 06, 2018 - 1:46 pm

Yes, thanks for the update.

Glad to hear your mom is doing well. Be sure to visit the PPC and ovarian boards. The expert over there is Loretta Marshall. She is a wealth of information and exceptional researcher.