Is it normal to have slight nausea even ten days after chemo? (Recap of Lost Posts, Topic Created by

Options
cmb
cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

This recap includes posts that were lost during CSN's data outage from 10/29/18 to 1/30/19.

zsazsa1

Nov 05, 2018 - 11:49 am

I'm recovering well from the first round of carbo/taxol, but I'm still having mild nausea.  I have to eat starchy stuff, like ravioli with sour cream or fettucine alfredo, to calm my stomach.  That was certainly not my preferred diet before all this!  This slight nausea developed even before I had surgery.  Of course, I'm worrying that it's because I have as yet undetected metastases.

Can anyone tell me if they had slight nausea persist even ten days after chemo?  Could I expect that it would just continue like this through the chemo?

LadyMox

Nov 05, 2018 - 11:58 am

I don't really get stomach

I don't really get stomach sick from Taxol/carbo but I did notice that my full appatite dose not seen to come back until maybe 2 weeks or so after chemo.

cmb

Nov 05, 2018 - 12:34 pm

Nausea during chemo

While I certainly felt queasier the first week or two after chemo, my tolerance for certain foods was different throughout my entire chemo process. For example, while I love coffee, I couldn't stand the smell or taste during chemo. And as I've mentioned in other posts, I ended up eating a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches during treatment as this was one thing that I could tolerate. Not a food item I normally eat! I did try to eat healthy items too, but I didn't have much appetite. I also limited the time I spent in grocery stores as the food smells disagreed with me.

I didn't have the same aversion to food smells or taste during radiation, But I did stick with the recommended low fiber, bland diet to reduce the chance of diarrhea. I was glad when all my treatment was done and I could eat and drink normally.

derMaus

Nov 05, 2018 - 1:24 pm

I doubt your nausea is from

I doubt your nausea is from mets but it's likely that some version will stay with you the entire time you have chemo. Mine ebbed and flowed, with a persistent low-level queasiness throughout but nothing really intolerable. Bland, starchy and creamy foods were more tolerable than other things, so you're not alone in that. 

MAbound

Nov 05, 2018 - 1:55 pm

Lost a lot of weight

I could hardly stand to eat anything during chemo and lost about 30 pounds. Watermelon, yogurt, green beans, and turkey was about it. I really didn't eat before surgery either because of anxiety. This hits us all pretty hard and we all react to it differently. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Eat what works for you, but keep the portions mini. Try the watermelon for the nausea once. I swear it really helps!

NoTimeForCancer

Nov 05, 2018 - 2:01 pm

I was told the ginger cookies

I was told the ginger cookies from Trader Joe's were good and would snack on them - it is the little ginger pieces in them that help, PLUS I always had my Rx with me if I needed.  Everyone is different so you may experience nausea throughout and need to figure out what works for you.  

EZLiving66

Nov 05, 2018 - 9:26 pm

I has barfing all the while I

I has barfing all the while I was in treatment even with the meds.  Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night long after chemo was done and just gag for hours. I would suck on a popsickle or ice chips and would finally be able to lie back down. Good luck!!

Love,

Eldri 

CheeseQueen57

Nov 06, 2018 - 5:48 am

Nausea

Although the nausea meds worked pretty good and I never vomite, I was slightly nauseaus allbthrough chemo and radiation. I highly endorse watermelon too. 

Donna Faye

Nov 06, 2018 - 9:30 am

new normal

After chemo and rads twice in last 2 years, I have had to try and understand my new normal. I have little desire for eating ever, but knowing I must eat to stay well, I do eat and always have some Ensure on hand for a smoothie. I still often feel a tad of nausea but know it is now just how things are. I have some new aches and pains but when I get my mind busy on other things, I feel great. After some inner debate, I just adopted a dog from APS. Harry is so happy to have a new mom and he makes me get up and take walks and his cuddles are sweet. We ladies on this board know what fear, change, worry come with cancer. We also know we can beat it and we live each day with fortitude and hope.