MEC surgery on the 15th!

Options

I was diagnosed with MEC on my retromolar pad on December 13th after having a "cyst" removed taht turned out to be MEC. I am praying they can get clear margins on the 15th and I can put this behind me. Has anyone else had experiece with cancer in this location?

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,285 Member
    Options
    Just To

Wish you the best on your operation on the 15th and prayers that they get clear margins and you can be cancer free. I did not have your type of cancer but sending my support and prayers-Russ 

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Location of MEC

The forum doesn't have many members who had or have MEC.  I'm one of the few who still logs in looking for others who are dealing with it.  Mine was base of tongue so the location is different.  There are 3 types of MEC but the most common one I've seen from others here have had clear margins.  Let's hope you have the same.  This cancer doesn't spread as quickly as SCC so if it comes out with clear margins then your chances of getting a recurrance is close to 5%.  IMO, that means I'm not going to see it again.

Mine had spread to my right lymph nodes but they still got it all.  Had a radical right neck dissection and low dose rads to make sure the bad cells were gone.  So far so good. 6 years with NED.

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Hoping for the best for you

That wasn’t our diagnosis, but chiming in to wish you a successful surgery on the 15th.

Barbaraek

• jy7175
    jy7175 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Location of MEC

The forum doesn't have many members who had or have MEC.  I'm one of the few who still logs in looking for others who are dealing with it.  Mine was base of tongue so the location is different.  There are 3 types of MEC but the most common one I've seen from others here have had clear margins.  Let's hope you have the same.  This cancer doesn't spread as quickly as SCC so if it comes out with clear margins then your chances of getting a recurrance is close to 5%.  IMO, that means I'm not going to see it again.

Mine had spread to my right lymph nodes but they still got it all.  Had a radical right neck dissection and low dose rads to make sure the bad cells were gone.  So far so good. 6 years with NED.

Awesome thank you so much for

Awesome thank you so much for the encouragement! The surgeon seems very optimistic regardless of the difficult location. I am really hoping for no radiation therapy, so clear margins would be awesome.

• jy7175
    jy7175 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Barbaraek said:

Hoping for the best for you

That wasn’t our diagnosis, but chiming in to wish you a successful surgery on the 15th.

Barbaraek

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!