Options
2»

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Mrodrig3 said:

surgery

Recently diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma tumor is 4.1 in size. Surgery is on 2/25 and the doctor said it would be open surgery. I am 66 years old and still working. But the doctor suggested a rehabilitation center after surgery. I am so frightened. Four years ago I had lung cancer, now I am cured. that was a laproscopic surgery. The two cancers are not connected.

Welcome,

Mrodig3,

Welcome to the club which no none in their right mind would volunteer to join.Assuming your tumor is 4.1 cm you should have a full recovery. I had nu=ine out a 59, 16 and 1/2 years ago. Assuming you have some help at home you probably wouldm't need rehab, but the first week or 2 after is  a little tough. Maybe the doctor had other concerns.  Start a new post and you should get more replies. Sending good karma.

icemantoo

• JoeyZ
    JoeyZ Member Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My nephrologist told me I

My nephrologist told me I would need a month recovery in rehab. Scared the you-know-what out of me. I didn't need it at all. I got out of the hospital on day 5 after a 14 hour surgery, lost all my own blood, had 17" of cuts in a chevron shape, and had a monster bleeding tumor and a big thrombus in there. I went from the hospital to 4 nights in MOTEL HELL and then a long, long drive home. Had to go out of state for surgery. No one here would touch it. (Boise, ID) Anyway, so don't fear too much. If you have someone with you, they will be able to care for you. But mostly you can do for yourself. I managed to. Except getting in bed. Had to have husband pick up legs and pull them onto bed while I screamed. Dear lord that hurt awful. Not too long and I could do it all myself. So you got this and we'll help you!!! All the best. By the way, I am 65.