Nuts, again

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
edited October 2018 in Colorectal Cancer #1

For those who are relatively new to the forum, there has been considerable evidence that eating tree nuts helps with colorectal cancer.  Here is another study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6182034/

The study included 826 stage 3 colon cancer patients which reported their intake of nuts and other food groups using a 131-item food frequency questionnaire. During a median follow-up of 6.5 years 177 patients died and 199 patients experienced cancer recurrence or developed new primary tumors. Increasing nut intake was associated with improved disease-free survival and overall survival with hazard ratios of 0.58 (95% CI: 0.37–0.92) and 0.43 (95% CI: 0.25–0.74) for an intake of nuts of ≥2 times per week vs. never after adjustment for age, sex, depth of invasion through bowel wall, number of positive lymph nodes, baseline performance status, treatment group, BMI, physical activity, aspirin use and glycemic load. The association with recurrence-free survival was not statistically significant (hazard ratio =0.70, 95% CI: 0.42–1.16). However, in analyses incorporating both pre-diagnostic and post-diagnostic dietary questionnaires, improvements were observed in disease-free survival, recurrence-free survival and overall survival with hazard ratios of 0.45 (95% CI: 0.33–0.62), 0.46 (95% CI: 0.32–0.64) and 0.43 (95% CI: 0.30–0.61), respectively for ≥2 servings of nuts per week vs. never. There was little evidence of variation in the association between nut consumption and colon cancer recurrence or mortality when stratified in a number of subgroup analyses including age, sex, treatment, performance status, number of positive lymph nodes, BMI, physical activity, glycemic load, aspirin, microsatellite instability, or mutations in KRAS, BRAF or PIK3CA genes or by COX2 expression. When specific types of nuts were examined in relation to survival, intake of tree nuts were inversely associated with all outcomes with hazard ratios of 0.54 (95% CI: 0.34–0.85), 0.56 (95% CI: 0.33–0.94), and 0.47 (95% CI: 0.27–0.82), respectively, for an intake of ≥1 time per week vs. never, while the hazard ratios for peanuts were 0.81 (95% CI: 0.53–1.23), 0.97 (95% CI: 0.61–1.53), and 0.60 (95% CI: 0.37–0.98), suggesting a better survival with intake of tree nuts than for peanuts.

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    I thought you had a recurrance

On the title of this thread. Seriously, my heart dropped for you before I opened it up.

Anyway, I love cashews, almonds and all the rest.  Usually have them on the counter in the kitchen and will often grab some.  I am not sure whether I hit the target number of servings, but guessing had to.  My cancer came back Cry  I seem to always be on the wrong side of the odds and studies in all of this ;)