Made It To 5 Years!

Options
lp1964
lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member

I was diagnosed in May of 2013 with Stage 2-3 rectal cancer and went through of 9 months of radiation, chemo, surgery and more chemo treatment. I count my NED from the day they removed my cancer and that was in October 5 years ago. 

I rebounded pretty good even though I had to start my career over, divorced and was left with some permanent challenges of a colostomy, diatery restrictions and constant abdominal discomfort. The only way I can keep myself in relative comfort is to induce diarrhea once a week to empty my intestines. Interestingly by now I completely forgot about not having a belly button, an anus, and having a 15 inch scar on my stomach. Miraculously this all became normal and part of me.

My career is going fine, my daughter is doing great at a awesome college, I‘m in a wonderful relationship again. Ever excited about life, hobbies, travel, poetry, science and other interests.

The human endurance is remarkable although when we are going through difficulties is very very discouraging. I have no major long term plans just living life one day at a time. I’m enclosing one of my poems to support the ones that are struggling and wishing you strength and faith that everything will be alright.

Laz

Now

Living the art of being in the moment,

Without false certainty in the future or reliving the past,

For will be events are not yet and passed events, well, have passed.

Will be and was are created right now,

In this present everlasting second everything we do is blessed,

Worrying about next or past moves spoils the whole experience. 

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone.

When this breath is gone, no one promises the next one.

This moment is the best one.

Savor each moment, don’t take things for granted,

Life as a whole is wondrously resilient,

But for us, fragile individuals only constant change is permanent,

Eternal life frozen in a moment.

Comments

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Amazing

yes the human spirit is an amazing thing.  All of us have to remain strong and enjoy each moment.  Thank you for the posting, it gives us all encouragement and hope. 

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Laz! It's so good to hear

Laz! It's so good to hear from you! I'm glad you're doing well and moving on. Life is wonderful, just in a different way now.

Jan

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    A great milestone Laz, your

A great milestone Laz, your embrace of life is inspiring. As with you, I tend to take each day and stay in the moment, the lack of a bellybutton and a road map for an abdomen seem like charactor marks, tatoos from life, telling bits of my story. Your experience does bring hope and faith in human resilience, so keep bringing it back.......................................Dave

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Awesome Laz

imageimage

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Laz!

Five years! That is such a milestone, and I am happy that you have reached it. 

Lets all celebrate with our Happy Dancing Man image. You deserve it. 

I hope in April, I can join you in the five year celebration. 

And, love your prose. So beautiful, so poignant.

Tru

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Congrats

Here's to hoping for 5 more times 5 more and more!  Thanks for giving those of us in the early years of battle hope and inspiration.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Wonderful

It's wonderful that you are doing so good.  It's great to see you post.  I'm glad that you are moving on and taking charge of your life and making what has happened in the past normal.  Love your poem and thanks for posting this.  Wishing you the best in the future and appreciate the update.

Kim

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Love your poem and congrats

Love your poem and congrats on the 5 year Ned status.

• sylvia_mae
    sylvia_mae Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2018 #10
    Options
    Congrats!!!

Wow just amazing as it is. Congrats :)

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hugs Laz

Wishing you a long and cancer free life, Ron.

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Options
    Thank.you!

Sometimes I feel like my body is in pieces....Your story and courage really inspire me. 

• marbleotis
    marbleotis Member Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi Laz

I remember the day you were fist on the blog.  SO glad for you.  Today is my 7 year NED!  Yippie.

May you always be cancer free and happy........