under the tongue cancer

my significant other, who we have been together for 20 yrs has just been diagnosed with stage 1, and in a few days we go and see the surgeon..

I am terrified because Randy has liver disease and a bleeding problem to begin with...  I am so scared..

Thank you for this board so i can vent and be a help to anyone here xo

Comments

• katlou
    katlou Member Posts: 83 Member
    me too

Cookieflower,

I had an excisional biopsy last November to remove a lesion on the underside of my tongue.  It turned out to be a small stage one cancer and the biopsy actually removed the entire cancer but the margins were close so I had a wide re-excision a couple of months later to remove more tissue around the tumor site which showed no residual cancer.   The depth of my tumor was not large enough for them to recommend a neck dissection and my lymph nodes weren't involved per a ct scan.  Next month will be a year and no recurrence so far.  I also have a blood clotting disorder and have had a blood clot once so I have to be careful with surgeries.      

It will probably depend on the depth of Randy's tumor and if a ct scan shows any lymph node involvement as to how they will want to approach his cancer other than surgery and how far they will need to go with the surgery.  Of course he will tell the surgeon about his bleeding problem.  If he has a hematologist you might want the surgeon to consult with him/her to see how to best proceed with that issue to keep the bleeding problem under control.  I assume his is the opposite of my issue and he bleeds rather than clots?

I just wanted to share my experience to let you know that there are cases where things work out without too much intervention.  I wish Randy well and pray that they can take care of this with minimal intervention.  Please keep us posted as to how he is doing.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    welcome

cookieflower,

Well, look at that, you had already posted your introduction thread and I did not see it. I think that means it is time for bed.

I hope both of you get through this without being to overwhelmed.

Matt