Something swollen, what could it be...

kgasmart
kgasmart Member Posts: 64 Member

It's always something, isn't it?

I have something swollen about the size of a pea right under the right side of my chin. Lymph node? But after a radical neck dissection in December along with BOT cancer surgery, I don't HAVE any lymph nodes left in the area, that I'm aware of.

So what, pray tell, could it be?

Doesn't hurt, at least not yet, just noticed this 2 days a go. Going to the ENT this week. Anyone with experience in this?

Comments

• bebo12249
    bebo12249 Member Posts: 181 Member
    There may be a lymp node that

There may be a lymp node that was not removed during dissection or other tissue. you likely will know after your ent visit this week..

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 446 Member
    Yes..

I had one, we ended up doing a CT scan, because we wern't sure, but figure now, it was a normal lymph node reaction.

• kgasmart
    Epidermoid cyst

After looking at it today doc said it's probably not a lymph node, it's small and right on the surface/under the skin and moves around, so she thinks it's a cyst. Going to watch it, back to her in a month unless it gets larger or becomes painful.

So nothing to panic about yet I guess. But honest to God - it's always something with this malady, isn't it?

Paranoia will destroy ya, but after all I/we have been through - how can you NOT be paranoid?

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Awhile

You will do this for awhile-Be a bit Paranoid so to speak. Once we go through this cancer journey from then on for quite awhile we get very apprehensive. Little things we did not worry about before but gave them their own time to heal such as a minor earache, toothache, sinus problem, sore neck etc. and the list goes on. We automatically think my cancer's back or oh no my cancer spread to here or here. It takes a bit to not think that way. I remember getting a cold or something and the way I related it to the nurse I must have been attributing it to my cancer or treatment and I remember her saying Look just because you are going through this doesn't mean you can't get a cold or some other malady like the rest of us. Cancer didn't make me exempt from the normal things of life.

• kgasmart
    wbcgaruss said:

Awhile

You will do this for awhile-Be a bit Paranoid so to speak. Once we go through this cancer journey from then on for quite awhile we get very apprehensive. Little things we did not worry about before but gave them their own time to heal such as a minor earache, toothache, sinus problem, sore neck etc. and the list goes on. We automatically think my cancer's back or oh no my cancer spread to here or here. It takes a bit to not think that way. I remember getting a cold or something and the way I related it to the nurse I must have been attributing it to my cancer or treatment and I remember her saying Look just because you are going through this doesn't mean you can't get a cold or some other malady like the rest of us. Cancer didn't make me exempt from the normal things of life.

Thanks

I'm actually driving my wife crazy with my paranoia. But when (the cyst) is something that happens on the same side of my neck as the lymphedema, which is the same side as the BOT tumor...what am I supposed to think? Apparently cysts like this can be caused by skin trauma, lord knows between the neck dissection and the subsequent cellulitis infections and now my constant massaging of the area due to lymphedema, there's been plenty of that... 

I would just like to wake up one day and say - hey, the lymphedema swelling is way down! Or, that intermittent feeling of tightness in the throat, I haven't felt that for a while! In other words, I want things to get better. rather than something new always popping up that I have to worry about.

I know, I know - I should be happy to be here. And I am. But I feel like I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.