Elderly Mother Update

Hello all,

Wanted to check in and thank everyone who gave advice, support, encouragement when i asked for information for my 83 yr old mother last week.  She has given it thought, talked to different people, and has come to the decision to not seek treatment for her throat cancer.  She says that treatment would be too hard on her and she wants to enjoy the time she has left.  i support her decision 100%, even though i know we'll be losing her.  Fact is, we would lose her earlier if she chose to do radiation.  We will be connecting with a palliative care team and learning what to do for mom going forward.

Thank you again for all your help.  i wish you all well and pray for the day that NO ONE has to endure the hell of treatment in order to live.  Bless each one of you.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,274 Member
    Decision

I think your mother has made the right decision for her situation and ultimately she is the one who had to make the decision and by your description sounds comfortable with it. I am praying for you folks and certainly wishing you many good days ahead and very few or actually no bad ones. Your mother is blessed to have you for a daughter. God Bless and enjoy the cherished days you have ahead with your mother and may they be some of the best days-Russ

• accordiongirl
    accordiongirl Member Posts: 63
    edited September 2018 #3
    wbcgaruss said:

Decision

I think your mother has made the right decision for her situation and ultimately she is the one who had to make the decision and by your description sounds comfortable with it. I am praying for you folks and certainly wishing you many good days ahead and very few or actually no bad ones. Your mother is blessed to have you for a daughter. God Bless and enjoy the cherished days you have ahead with your mother and may they be some of the best days-Russ

Thank You

Thank you for your kind words, Russ.  i, too, hope she has MANY good days and when the bad days come, i hope that hospice is able to relieve her of her pain/anxiety/suffering so that she will be unaware of how bad they really are.  i lost my dad 7 years ago this December to cancer......i'm not liking that i have to give up my mom to the same monster, but i don't suppose i get a say in it.

Thank you again for your message.  Be well!

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,274 Member
    Contact

accordiangirl tried to friend you and send CSN email but you must have it turned off-so praying for your family-God Bless

• momall25ofu
    momall25ofu Member Posts: 81 Member
    Hugs to you Accoridangirl!  I

Hugs to you Accoridangirl!  I know that was a hard decision for her to make and for you as the daughter who loves her.  Prayers for you and your mom during this hard time!

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    Enjoy your time together...

Best wishes to her and you and your family.

Brandon

• accordiongirl
    edited October 2018 #7
    wbcgaruss said:

Contact

accordiangirl tried to friend you and send CSN email but you must have it turned off-so praying for your family-God Bless

i don't think i did (though i

i don't think i did (though i could have by mistake?)   i have received messages from other people in my inbox, so i think it should work.

• accordiongirl
    edited October 2018 #8

i don't think i did (though i

i don't think i did (though i could have by mistake?)   i have received messages from other people in my inbox, so i think it should work.

check spelling

i don't know how you initiate CSN email, but if you have to put in my user name, check the spelling.  Often people put in an "A" when it should be an "O".  Checked my email and it works.

• okeydokey
    okeydokey Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2018 #9
    prayers for you

Hugs and many prayers for you and your family--God Bless

Rita