High creatinine after treatment finished

Options

I finished treatment 9 weeks ago (35 rad, 2 chemo-cisplatin). I didn't get the 3rd chemo due to the high creatinine. My creatinine was last measured at 1.92 and has been around that level since treatment ended. Has anyone had high creatinine this long after treatment ended and did it ever get better? If it got better, how long did it take to get there?

I am scheduled to see a kidney doctor next week.

Comments

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I was on carbol-taxol for

I was on carbol-taxol for chemo.  My creatine dropped to about  0.7 during treatment, recovered to normal range about 1 month post.  The Kaiser app shows 0.8 to 1.5 as the normal range.  Generally all my blood chem was trashed, it took a couple of months to recover.  I'm not sure on this, but I think mine dropped because I was on a blood thinner during week 5.  Prior to going on that, my creatine had climbed but was still in normal range.

• ThomasF
    ThomasF Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2018 #3
    Options
    My creatinine was as high as

My creatinine was as high as 2.40 but came down to current levels where it has stayed despite many visits for IV hydration. I have upped my water intake to where I am currently drinking a minimum of 120 ounces daily.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Probably not happy news, it

Probably not happy news, it certainly wasn't for me, but recovery will probably take about a year.   I wanted and expected faster.  At two years most things are back to normal on the blood chem side of things, my platelets recovered slowly and were a concern up thru 6 months post.  I was probably 95% functional by six months, today some drymouth and tenderness on my neck in the burn area.  Both of those come and go.  Probably my most annoying thing was my nose would periodically spontaneously start running.  I could be doing anything or nothing and suddenly be dripping from my nose.  That has mostly stopped, at least during social interactions. 

• ThomasF
    ThomasF Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2018 #5
    Options

Probably not happy news, it

Probably not happy news, it certainly wasn't for me, but recovery will probably take about a year.   I wanted and expected faster.  At two years most things are back to normal on the blood chem side of things, my platelets recovered slowly and were a concern up thru 6 months post.  I was probably 95% functional by six months, today some drymouth and tenderness on my neck in the burn area.  Both of those come and go.  Probably my most annoying thing was my nose would periodically spontaneously start running.  I could be doing anything or nothing and suddenly be dripping from my nose.  That has mostly stopped, at least during social interactions. 

I have recovered pretty well

I have recovered pretty well in almost every other way. I would like to hear if anyone else was in a similar situation and their creatinine numbers eventually came back to normal.

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    edited September 2018 #6
    Options
    High Creatinine

When I finished chemo nine years ago my creatinine went to 2nine years later I test 1.5 to 1.8, Doc says we will keep an eye on it, did you know that roughly 25,000,000 have high creatinine and most don't know it.