Depression

Brendaklein
Brendaklein Member Posts: 121 Member

I'm a little over two week past treatment. The depression is setting in. 

Comments

• Kim Gaia
    Kim Gaia Member Posts: 73
    Hi Brenda. Is it due to

Hi Brenda. Is it due to anxiety/concern about whether treatment was effective? I am just a few days post-treatment. I suspect that concern will be affecting me psychologically as the weeks progress. Just wondering if that's what's happening for you.

kim

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2018 #3
    Brendaklein...

Hi,

I'm sorry you are dealing with these feelings but feel assured that it is not uncommon. It is a good sign actually that you are aware of it and able to acknowledge it. 

Cancer has so many aspects that sometimes don't get talked about enough, and while we may get (or wait to get) the NED report, I have always said that title is only in reference to the physical evidence of this disease. The lasting scars left emotionally too often are never considered by many doctors, yet on some level are fairly certain to occur. All the questions and concerns about our future, the loss of some parts of daily life routine and a "new normal" as they say, sometimes financial and job changes, even the relationships with our friends and family take a turn...its A LOT to deal with while our bodies have just been through h*** and trying to find the way back!

You are still early on in the recovery process and there will be many ups and downs I'm sure. Remember to rest, eat well, get some exercise as tolerated, and find time to do things YOU love...self care is of utmost importance.

Some people do however need help in climbing out of this slump so if these feelings persist and seem to interfer with your day to day life, please reach out for help. Call a doctor, social worker, or nurse, and set up a time to talk with them about all you are feeling. It is never a sign of weakness to admit you need help, but rather a strong person who wants to heal in the best way possible.

I will have you and (everyone else) in my thoughts and prayers for physical, emotional, and spiritual health as we all move forward.

katheryn

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited September 2018 #4
    Brendaklein

I second what katheryn said.  I felt somewhat lost after treatment ended.  Having that daily routine for 6 weeks made me feel like I was actually doing something to fight the beast.  When that ended, I didn't feel like a warrior anymore and it left me with a feeling of vulnerability.  I think what you are experiencing is quite within the realm of normal, all things considered.  However, if it doesn't lift, by all means, seek some help.  Wishing you all the very best!

• feckcancer
    feckcancer Member Posts: 189 Member
    OMG. i cried & cried at this

OMG. i cried & cried at this part when i went through it. then my mum died and i cried more. then my cat who hung in there with me died. cried even more then i cried for David Bowie who had died as i went through my last weeks of treatment. tears just ran down my face non stop for weeks. i was told was normal and just went with it in the end but did have some counselling which helped then flew off to another country 7 weeks after for a holiday and plastic surgery. All feels a bit like a bad dream now.

Also gave up cigarettes 6 months before i was diagnoised. that certainly didn't help . but still cig free 3 years later. not sure how i did that.

i think it's because you have to be so brave & tough to get through the intense treatment that when it's finished it is all a bit much for a while.

it's okay. talk to us. talk to a counsellor. plan some rewards for getting through this and be proud of your self for getting to here. This is for you as well Kim.

Well done both of you.

xx

• Brendaklein
    Brendaklein Member Posts: 121 Member
    Thank you very much. I will

Thank you very much. I will get through this as well. All the changes and pain...gets to me. 

• Ottawamarc1234
    Ottawamarc1234 Member Posts: 148 Member
    Am Seeing Pshco-Social Doc at Cancer Center Once A Month...

2 weeks after treatment the Centre kinda dumps u. Not fair. Too many I guess. Have to ask for help. Post 66 days old problems redeveloping and depressed at times too. All alone fighting in recovery too and single at 57 no partner. Lonely times. Good Luck!!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Sadness vs depression.

Hello, Brendaklein. The enormity of what you have just been through seems to have hit you like a ton o'bricks! It's natural to feel sad and worried - "The experience was truly awful."; "Did they get it all?"; "Even if they got it all, will it come back?" Sadness will go away eventually and will not control your life for very long. Depression is long standing and can greatly impact your life. It is the result of a serotonin deficit. Talking it all out to a professional can help in either case. Ask for a referral.

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member

Thank you very much. I will get through this as well. All the changes and pain...gets to me. 

Brendaklein

We are happy that the treatment has finally ended and we can go home and begin to heal.  I think there is also a feeling of abandonment.  For 5-6 weeks we saw medical staff every day; there was always someone to answer questions...to mention a side effect, ask for reassurance, etc.  Now we are alone, we probably won't see any one for a few weeks; yes, we can call or send an e-mail, but it is not the same.  It's a big break and its almost like to have to figure everything out by ourselves .  I think anxiety and depression is quite usual.  

However, as others have said please seek out a support group or a counselor that has experience with patients.  Most cancer centers should be able to recommend a therapist.

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch

Sadness vs depression.

Hello, Brendaklein. The enormity of what you have just been through seems to have hit you like a ton o'bricks! It's natural to feel sad and worried - "The experience was truly awful."; "Did they get it all?"; "Even if they got it all, will it come back?" Sadness will go away eventually and will not control your life for very long. Depression is long standing and can greatly impact your life. It is the result of a serotonin deficit. Talking it all out to a professional can help in either case. Ask for a referral.

By the way....

I went to a cancer seminar where a MSKCC radiation oncologist spoke about research that shows cancer victims have anxiety about their cancer remaining or every illness being a new cancer lasting for about 5 years. Anxiety is very normal.

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch

Am Seeing Pshco-Social Doc at Cancer Center Once A Month...

2 weeks after treatment the Centre kinda dumps u. Not fair. Too many I guess. Have to ask for help. Post 66 days old problems redeveloping and depressed at times too. All alone fighting in recovery too and single at 57 no partner. Lonely times. Good Luck!!

Survivorship.

In the USA, there is a "Survivorship" movement where a cancer patient won't be just dropped on their own. Cancer programs have established written programs to provide patients with the next steps over a few years, like follow-up CT scans and exams, and finding closure to any remaining open problems, like helping blood values return to normal and post-treatment physical therapy. If Canada has not hopped onto the band wagon, perhaps you can start spreading the news.

https://www.cancer.org/content/cancer/en/search.html?q=survivorship

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    I think I wwas in too much

I think I wwas in too much pain two weeks pist treatment to be depressed.  Reading the blogs always help me when I feel down.  Exercise also makes me feel better.  Sometimes a professional is needed if it is clinical depression that doesn't go away.

• Kim Gaia
    Kim Gaia Member Posts: 73

Good luck to you Brenda! I am

Good luck to you Brenda! I am 2 weeks post-treatment and am having some mood fluctuations which are very atypical for me - I might even call it depression combined with some anxiety. Just parts of each day so far - not whole day. I'm just trying to keep busy with projects. I got thorugh treatment well and am not coping with any discomfort from treatment, altho the chemo did plunge me into anemia. and I know from past experience that anemia will affect my mood and outlook.

kim