Oatmeal with Roundup weed killer okay?

Hi,

In April 2018 I was diagnosed with GE Junction cancer. I had chemo and radiation with subsequent PET Scan and biopsies showing no cancer apparent. 

Just finished minimally invasive Ivor Lewes esophagectomy 10 days ago.  Surgery went well. I'm surprised how normal my esophagus/stomach feels!!  Now dealing with phlegm/mucus production and surgical entry point healing.  Not so bad. Tissue samples examined during surgery showed no cancer. I'm awaiting final biopsy report from full surgical sample. 

I'm writing for 2 reasons.  First, to let you know that this can go well for you, as it has so far for me.  Second, to solicit help from the community in an attempt to understand why this cancer happens.

I've read that there are behaviors, health conditions, and genetics that may predispose a portion of the population toward this cancer.   It has been baffling to me that this cancer struck me as none of the markers apply to me.  No family cancer, no health conditions, no medicines, no reflux, don't drink coffee, rarely drink alcohol, etc..  I've always been athletically active, healthy, and careful to eat a healthy diet (my dad died of a heart attack at age 39).  

So, when I read a couple of weeks ago that one of the foods that I eat every day contains high amounts of Roundup weed killer (Quaker Oats oatmeal), I began to wonder if there are others out there with GE cancer that eat a lot of oatmeal or Cheerios.

https://www.ewg.org/childrenshealth/glyphosateincereal/#.W3LU385Ki71

Please let me know if your health background and enjoyment of oatmeal match mine. I recommend you only eat organic oatmeal.

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    I are Oatmeal regularly but also had frequent "heartburn"

Hello Dave,

I think many of us ask ourselves “how did I get this” from time to time. I ate Oatmeal almost every day for a few years but I also had regular episodes of acid indigestion my entire adult life. So, I am not sure I could blame it on Oatmeal.

I think, in reality, with the number of carcinogens we all come in contact with on a daily basis, it would be difficult to blame it on a type of food that has trace amounts of a specific carcinogen.

The good news is that we have survived. I continue to be thankful for every day in remission I am given.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009

Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009 Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU

Eight Year Survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!