Last treatment was June 15

Options
Charmit
Charmit Member Posts: 87
edited August 2018 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello all my last day of treatment was June 15....7 weeks of radiation to the left side five days a week and Cisplatin once a week for those 7 weeks. I faired pretty well during treatments although scared to death most of it. Doctors kept saying I’m doing well, no pain throughout just lost taste of all foods. But throat pain was zero, last two weeks neck became very red and raw and was the worst part of the seven weeks. Now here I am little over two months out and I’m scared of the upcoming PET scan scheduled for September 10th!!! I keep hearing of false positive results or recurrence of cancer. How have you all handled this wait time?? I’m not sleeping, eating fine but loosing weight 27lbs total from first start of this all March 1st, hoping it’s due to stress. Any input or advice would be grateful please...thank you all and God Bless!!

Charlene

Comments

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted Charlene

We've been wondering about you and so glad you made it thru and yes, I was worried to death waiting in that first scan. I did have a false positive, of all places, my colon.

But the main thing, no cancer showing in my neck for now and hopefully you will be relieved soon when you get good results. Hang in there dear, you've made this far.

• Charmit
    Options
    Dean54 said:

Glad you posted Charlene

We've been wondering about you and so glad you made it thru and yes, I was worried to death waiting in that first scan. I did have a false positive, of all places, my colon.

But the main thing, no cancer showing in my neck for now and hopefully you will be relieved soon when you get good results. Hang in there dear, you've made this far.

My gosh it’s overwleming!!

My gosh it’s overwleming!! Everyone in my family and all my friends keep saying it’s gone your fine and I love them for that. But until you have been through it or going through ya don’t know the fear. Have to fined an outlet somehow before I go crazy!! Glad your doing well Dean can’t imagine the fear with the false positive result. How are you now?? I pray cancer free!!

• Charmit
    Options
    Also the side of my neck that

Also the side of my neck that was treated has pain when I touch it...is this norma?? Specially two month post treatment has me worried!!

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I still have pain in the side of my neck also

Especially when I turn my head to the right, the left side where the infected lympth node was still sticks out and is sometimes sore for some reason. I'm pretty sure the ENT said it was just scar tissue.

I've had one PET scan and one MRI and both didn't show any cancer but like you, I'm always slightly worried about every little pain, weird feeling in my throat, etc. It would be so nice if we just turn those worries off and try and enjoy life again but it will alawys be hard after what we went thru.

Please try to relax and get thru the next few weeks until you get good news and your cancer free dear!

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    It’s called...

...scanxiety!  And everybody gets it.  The first scans are the worst....then gradually your scanxiety starts later in the wait period.  Today my husband only has to peel me off the ceiling for two days, instead of for a couple weeks. 

p

• Charmit
    Options

It’s called...

...scanxiety!  And everybody gets it.  The first scans are the worst....then gradually your scanxiety starts later in the wait period.  Today my husband only has to peel me off the ceiling for two days, instead of for a couple weeks. 

p

Oh it’s bad, I have been

Oh it’s bad, I have been avoiding everyone and keeping to myself. Can’t sleep yet I am exhausted, feel like crying yet I know there are people that are worse off then me. Then I read the false positive results and think what if its not gone, what if those seven weeks of hell didn’t work!!! My doc just refilled my ativan I tried to go without but no luck. Hope your well and thank you for sharing with me a piece of your story. Helps to know what I’m feeling is normal just wish I was strong enough to deal with it better.